Any epic riding in Penticton ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Any epic riding in Penticton ?

We'll spend a day at 3 blind mice or other town trails, but really looking for 6+ hour mountain adventures. I see the "Highlands trail" that starts at Chute Lake and goes up to Big Meadow Lake, and looks like you could the KVT and the Upper Crawford/Telegraph trail to make a nice loop, but I've no idea how ride able it is- note that we are used to major hike a bike and trekking, so mostly concerned with idiotic blowdown or snow. I do see a lot of clearcut along this route so not sure if its really viable, also on the photo maps it may just be glorified road ?

Also looking at Wildhorse canyon north and south, probably starting from the Kelowna side. Sounds like you can also access it from the Chute Lake road although Its not totally clear on the maps how that works (and then you are descending the whole way in and climbing out).

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I wouldn't say there is a single "Epic" ride in Penticton. If you link the net-works together then you are in a for a massive day but as a single epic nothing springs to mind. But it has been a while since I have lived there.

The loop you are looking at is a combination of road and old trails that are likely not maintained.

Just as a reference for the size of the riding area, in the Mice I can comfortably do a 4hr day at XC race pace. There are a lot of trails there.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for the intel.
    Yeah after staring at it on the satellite photo the Highlands trail looks like its going to be a lot of road and clearcut. I'd still like to take a peek at it for next time but I don't want to plan a day around it.

What about Wild Horse Canyon ? Start on the north side and go all the way around that looks like 14 miles each way of ruggedness. I talked to one person at a bike shop who said it was open and ready to ride and Trailforks seems to agree.

Do you know is it easy to find dirt camping (ie park & sleep) in the Okanagan Provincial Park ? The website makes it seem like there is some places, just wondering how casual that is. We'll be coming in on monday afternoon so shouldn't be too crowded.
    If not do you have any suggestions ?

We'll spend a day at 3 blind mice on our way south too, don't worry.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Rock Oven is it for scenic plus length plus ending at a lake. 3bM is great but its lots of loops
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/