Any easier XC trails in Whislter for the wife and kids?- Mtbr.com

Sep 2007

Any easier XC trails in Whislter for the wife and kids?

I am heading up to Whistler from Olympia tomorrow through Tuesday with my wife who is very new to mountain biking, my two brothers who also have limited mountain bike experience and my kids. I went up last year with a friend and we rode the bike park for 3 days and had an absolute blast but didn't check out any of the XC trails. I want to take them on some easier trails if there are any? Any suggestions, I especially want to go riding with my 8 year old daughter. She loves to ride but can't really handle any gnarly climbs or super rough terrain on her HT.

Also, any suggestions on cool non mountain bike things to do especially for kids would be great! I promised my wife if we vacationed in Whistler I wouldn't ditch the family and ride the whole time. We are staying in the Village.

ups and downs
    Lost Lake Trails might be mellow enough.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    +1 for lost lake trails.

the crushed gravel trails (tin pants, gypsy drum, donkey puncher, molly hogan, etc) are super fun and flowy with short ups and downs but nothing technical.

the zappa trails are amazing for introducing people to more technical features. there are lots of ups and downs but they are super short and there are tons of short, easy ladders, small logs, roots and rocks. best place to get someone to fall in love with mountain biking.

as for non mtb-ing... you should do an e-bike tour of the valley (out of Wild Willies in the pan pacific mtnside hotel 604-938-9836), it's a beautiful way to see the valley and you and your wife can pedal as much or as little as you like so it suits groups with varying energy levels. Also check out Wild Play, the new zip line/high ropes adventure place at cougar mountain. On mountain hike and peak2peak ride. If you're here on a sunday check out the farmers market at blackcomb base (plus the adventure zone there for you kids any day). Canoe trip down the river of golden dreams is a whistler must also. Just a small selection here!

have a great time!

Sep 2007
    Thank you so much for the info the lost lake trails look great for my family. The non mountain bike ideas sound fun as well especially the canoe trip. Do you know if any of those trails are doable with a trail behind bike or trailer? I should say are they wide enough and fairly smooth? I can handles some roots and rocks with the trailer if the trail is wide enough. I have taken my kids on some pretty crazy rides in our Burley trailer, rolled it once on a nice fast and buff trail in Capitol Forest. Don't worry they were strapped in with helmets and nobody got hurt.

mtbr member
    The trails down around Function Junction are also nice. A lot of wider stuff with pea gravel. I haven't ridden them in a while, but I remember the trail up to Loggers Lake being like that. A bit more challenge than the Lost Lake trails, but nothing like the usual Whistler singletrack. Probably a good choice to challenge an 8 year old without scaring them off the sport forever.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Valley Trail and Lost Lake are the places you want.

Valley trail is paved, 10 foot wide for the length of the whole valley - probably 20-25km (15 miles?)

Take your daughter to the 2 'skills area' near the skateboard park. The first is right beside the skateboard park & has a little teeter totter & lots of whoops. The second is about 100 yards down the paved valley trail and has lots of log rides (also good for your skills). There is a cool little singletrack connecting the two as well that she will enjoy. Then move to Lost Lake - only a half kilometer form the village (2 minutes).

In Lost Lake there are probably 15km of 20 foot wide 'roadbed' gravel trails, 10-15km of 3 foot wide graveled trails with a little more up & down (perfect for the burley & the 8 year old). Also about 15km of semi-technical singletrack - if your 8 year old (& wife & brothers)is up to a bit of technical take her up Tin Pants & Donkey Puncher til you reach Peaches en Regalia and come down that trail with her, it was my daughter's first technical ride; downhill is important for the less skilled, way less work and fairly short - it has some roots, rocks and little bridges. If you can 'steal' an hour or 1.5 hours, do a loop on the single track yourself - moderately technical & quite fun for a quick 'blast'.

A better site with maps etc is this one
    http://www.whistler.ca/index.php?opt...106&Itemid=261

Function trails (Riverside & farside) are nice and mostly smooth but have a substantial amount of uphill.

Hope you all have fun!!

Air Pirate
    Another vote for Lost Lake. I just came back from a few days there. I had my 12 year old daughter with me to ride the trails and she had a blast. It really has a good mix. You can go easy or as hard as you want. There are several trails that are pretty much just fire roads, good for a trail-a-bike or even a Burley style trailer. Most of the easier singletrack trails (greens) are actually wide enough to accomodate the trailer as well, with a smooth suface condition I can only describe as "groomed".

Make sure you stop at the beach designated for dogs when riding the Lake Loop. The several times we stopped there we encountered many friendly pooches that loved to fetch sticks, so we had a nice little break from riding that added a little variety to the day.

One thing to remember, a lot of the fun singletrack trails that drop you down the North or West side of the hill will require either a return uphill on one of the trails or you have to go around the hill using the Valley Trail or streets. My daughter hates climbing (future downhiller?) so we didn't go back up after coming down Tommy Moore and Hooktender. The spin along the Valley Trail going back refreshed our legs nicely, and I would figure that would be a good thing if you are pulling some kids in a trailer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Ditto Lost Lake trails, especially the packed gravel one's. I just came back also. We had our 5 yo duaghter and 8 yo son. My son did a one day mountain bike camp and had a blast. But the smaller bikes (20") are not much fun with no suspension and rim brakes. He did peaches en regalia going downhill.
    A huge rave for Wildplay. Wife did the entire course and 8 yo did the kids course twice. I watched the 5 yo as payment for a day on the bike park. We did ziptrek last year.
    Ride the gondola for some alpine hiking.
    Ride Blackcomb base luge with no braking the entire way down, daughter loved the fast ride with daddy.
    Best dinner deal is $5 burger and fries at Merlins after 6 PM.
    Gotta ride Zappa trails, cut yer bars, river runs through it, danimal,.. You can get a loota riding in a couple hours.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    We rode around lost lake the day after doing comfortably numb. It was perfect. We grabbed a map from the rec center and followed the recommended route. Super fast and flowy with some wood. We went back for seconds.

Members who have read this thread: 0