Another where to ride question in Eastern BC- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Another where to ride question in Eastern BC

The Mrs and I are planning on exploring Eastern BC at the end of July. Currently, we are planning on staying and riding 2 days in Golden, 2 in Revy, and 2 in Rossland, then heading back to the US. My question is, what trails do you recommend as "must rides" for those respective areas.

To help with your suggestions, we are both on 6" AM bikes, but prefer dirt and rock to elevated skinnies and such. My wife is not much of a jumper, and that is why we altered our itinerary to bypass Nelson and spend 2 days in Rossland. I am planning on getting a shuttle for the 7 Summits Trail in Rossland. We're looking for longer rides, that have technical features, but we're there mostly to take in the scenery and just enjoy the areas.

If you have any advice on accomodations to stay at, or to avoid, that would be appreciated as well. Thanks in advance!
    Scott

ups and downs
    Trailforks is a handy resource for trails in those areas that will show the count and density of the various trail ratings in each area, as well as elevation profiles and photos/videos.

As a general guideline in BC, black diamond trails may have mandatory natural or man made technical trail features (including ladder bridges and skinnies) with no bypass or alternate line. Blue trails may have technical features that are within a foot of the ground, or have alternate or option lines. So the blue trails may be a more comfortable fit for your wife, and they can still be quite challenging and worthy of a 6" bike. I added a link to Fernie since it is in that same corner of the province.

Golden, British Columbia Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Revelstoke, British Columbia Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Fernie, British Columbia Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

Rossland, British Columbia Mountain Bike Trails | Trailforks

There's some good Revy info in this thread

http://forums.mtbr.com/western-canad...vy-863861.html
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 04-24-2016 at 03:02 PM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Thank you for that info! I am also a fan of TrailForks, and have used it a lot down here in Utah and Colorado. I guess part of my question is, do you think that I am giving enough time at each of the destinations, or should we plan on staying at any of the destinations a little longer, or deleting one in order to add something else...like Fernie?

ups and downs
    The travel time between Rossland in the south and the towns along the Trans Canada Highway can be surprisingly long in the summer, so you might find that the trail density shown in those listings makes it worthwhile to stay longer in a couple of spots and save the other towns for another trip.

All of them can deliver some great rides, Revy for sure has some classic long rides in the high Alpine. I like the town of Revy better than Golden as a place to hang when you're not riding, so if you're doing Rossland to get 7 Summits off your bucket list, I'd be inclined to do Rossland and Revy (unless the thunderstorms and wet weather are a bit much in Revy - that can happen in July), and then maybe have Fernie as your first alternate to Revy. Let's keep our fingers crossed that we don't have big forest fire problems again to make the air unbreathable in large areas of the province.

Accommodations can be a challenge, campgrounds will book up early. Motels and hotels along the Trans Canada highway fill up with truckers, road crews, those family vacationers, railroad crews, etc, just before supper time around 4-5PM, so you want to check for hotels just after checkout time around noon if you're just taking a shot at hotels/motels on the way.

mtbr member
    Fingers crossed that you don't have the fires. We're planning on making reservations ahead of time, and that is why I am working on the itinerary no, instead of waiting until last minute.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    You can break up the drive between Revy and Rossy with a couple of days riding in New Denver. Great trails, friendly locals who will guide or shuttle for beer and camping right in town.

Don't worry, be happy!
    ^^^^ I still want to come back and ride Butter.

ups and downs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    You can break up the drive between Revy and Rossy with a couple of days riding in New Denver. Great trails, friendly locals who will guide or shuttle for beer and camping right in town.
    Thanks TelebBiker! We might take you up on that. We could even get you high test, non-typical Utah beer.