trail gnome

Accommodation Recommendations: North Shore in September

Hi,

Planning a 1.5 week bike trip to BC in September and seeking accommodation recommendations for North Shore. We are searching VRBO/Air B&B/Google, but I am hoping someone more familiar with the area might be able to provide some biker-specific advice, given our rough plans.

We'll be flying into Vancouver by noon or earlier, renting 2 trucks, and driving to the North Shore. A minimum of 2 nights there to start, then heading off to Squamish & Whistler, and 1 night back in North Vancouver at the end of the trip.

Most guys will be bringing their bikes, but a few might rent. Ideally, we'd like to find a place to stay where we can leave our bike boxes until we return at the end of the trip. There will be 8 to 10 of us. 1 or 2 couples, and the rest are guys that can share rooms but want their own beds.

Looking at the map, I see Fromme and Seymour are close to one another, but separated by deep valleys, and Cypress is on our way to Squamish.

I was thinking... on arrival if we get settled into our accommodations early enough and get our bikes sorted-out, we might be able to fit in a late afternoon/early evening ride at either Fromme or Seymour. Next day, Fromme or Seymour. Day after, ride Cypress on our way to Squamish.

Given that itinerary, what's the best area/neighbourhood to stay in, to facilitate easy access to trails/bike shops/beer, and not waste a lot of time in traffic?

Should we spend more nights in North Vancouver?
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

ups and downs
    The Holiday Inn at 700 Old Lillooet Road in North Vancouver is at the bottom of Fromme and Seymour, you can ride from there to Seymour trail network, and even Fromme (but there's a lot of boring climbing to Fromme from there). You can definitely ride back to the hotel from both mountains. There's a pub in the hotel, and many bike shops a few minutes away.

Each of the mountains have there own trail personality, Cypress has a lot of big rock slabs, rock rolls and TTF, and a smaller trail network so it isn't as inviting to out of towners. The thing about Fromme and Seymour trails is that it isn't as easy to link big epic loops together as it is in Squamish, there are more climbing trails now, but on Fromme and Seymour you need to ride up to ride down, so there's a lot of climbing to get to the trail heads to come back down, so you end up seeing a lot of the climbing trails (or Mountain Highway) and the cross trails that link the bottom of the trails together.

There is a new river crossing bridge across the Seymour River at the top of Twin Bridges Trail so it is possible to ride between the Fromme and Seymour networks up the river valley and not just at the bottom near the Holiday Inn.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

trail gnome
    Thanks! Exactly the type of info I was looking for.

So follow-up question. If we have 11 days of riding in BC, how many days would you spend in each area: North Shore, Squamish, and Whistler/Pemberton?

We aren't into full-on downhill, big jumps, super-elevated wood structures, or crazy exposure. Rock slabs, rock rolls, small jumps and drops up to 2-3 feet, ladder bridges, skinnies close to the ground, teeter totters, some exposure, and rock rough armouring are all ok. Ladies Only, for example, looks ok, although some in our group may walk some features.

We prefer trails that stretch out the descent and make it last, and technical features that make things interesting, rather than white-knuckling down a steep, rocky, chunderous fall-line trail. If we are going to pedal to the top, we don't want the descent to be over in a flash.

Me, personally, I want to experience the North Shore, even though some of it will be beyond my comfort level, and knowing that some of the descents will be over "in a flash".

Given those preferences, how many days would you suggest we spend in each area?
    Mountain bikers are generally a rational bunch...until someone moves a rock on our favorite trail and we lose our minds - LMN

mtbr member
    2 days north shore (a Seymour and a fromme, one of these can be your mellow day 1 to sort out your bikes and whatnot), 2 or 3 squamish, 4 whistler (1 or 2 bike park, 1 epic ride up lord of the squirrels which should be good to go most of September, 1 day on other trails or a top of the world to something) , 1 pemby (pemby trails hold up well in the wet so good option if it's raining).

ups and downs
    I'd echo those recommendations for days in each place. Squamish is my favourite place to ride because of the trail variety, and if you have a group of mixed skill riders you can all take one climb trail and split up for the descents and still end up in the same place riding on blue and black trails. And you can put bigger loops together.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

trail gnome
    So it turns out it's 12 nights total (and potentially 12 days we can ride, because we are arriving at 9am on Saturday).

So we are thinking 2 nights in North Vancouver, 3 nights in Squamish, 6 nights in Whistler, and the last night back in North Vancouver.

While staying at Whistler, we'll likely split our time between the bike park, epic rides(s), a heli-drop, Pemberton, and a day off the bike.

Does this ratio make sense, or should we spend another night in Squamish and one less in Whistler?

mtbr member
    Whistler good to spend more time at, more food options more fun after biking and whatnot. Only 40 mins or so to squamish, so if you want more riding in squamish it's easy from Whistler.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ray.vermette View Post
    So it turns out it's 12 nights total (and potentially 12 days we can ride, because we are arriving at 9am on Saturday).

So we are thinking 2 nights in North Vancouver, 3 nights in Squamish, 6 nights in Whistler, and the last night back in North Vancouver.

While staying at Whistler, we'll likely split our time between the bike park, epic rides(s), a heli-drop, Pemberton, and a day off the bike.

Does this ratio make sense, or should we spend another night in Squamish and one less in Whistler?
    Actually seems like a near perfect plan to me. We went last year and did something similar. We drove up from SoCal and rode:
    Day 1: Shuttle runs in Ashland then drove to Bellingham
    Day 2: Rode Bellingham and then on to Squamish
    Day 3 & 4: Squamish, FANTASTIC trails but you'll climb for them
    I then had 8 days in Whistler....we rode the lifts 3 days, rode lower trails 3 days and did a day riding Lord of the Squirrels. LOTS was a definite workout due to my AARP status on a 6" travel bike but oh so worth it coming down. I had a couple "solo" days as friends were flying in & out thru-out my time up there and had planned on riding in Pemberton but rode Comfortably Numb instead. That's a monster workout so be prepared. I'm reasonably fit but that ride worked me over.
    2019 Yeti SB5C
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer