7 summits, wakefield trail whats next?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

7 summits, wakefield trail whats next?

I have a love affair with the kootenays of bc. I have done a couple of big rides in the area.
    7 summits and the wakefield trail. the wakefield trail climbing from new denver to me was a harder ride than 7 summits.

what is next? I like the big epic day rides. what other rides are in the kootenays. PReferrably the west kootenays but i don't mind the east side.

thanks
    tim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    revelstoke.

keystone standard basin

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thanks for the reply. i am familiar with keystone. I guess i should have listed that also.
    What else do you got?

mtbr member
    - You could easily kill a few days in Fernie piecing together some great loops there.
    - Rossland has more than just the 7 summits. Again, a few days would give you a good sampling of the local goods.
    Although these don't really offer a big epic loop, it's very easy to piece together anything from a 10k to an 80k loop without touching the same piece of trail twice.

As mentioned, Revelstoke has a couple of epics that would fit.

Not the West Kootney's...but there are quite a few amazing epics in the Kananaskis area around Calgary and Banff. Scroll down to some of the albums on Ferday's MB Post page to see some of the rides we're done in the area

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I do live in north idaho so the kootenays are relatively close. yes rossland does have some great riding.

I definatly like some of the ideas. I was just trying to see if there are any other big epics that i don't know about.

I am beggining to think i could easily ride out of new denver for quite awhile. For whatever reason i have fallen in love with that area. I did some snowmobiling this winter near vallahlla park and was wondering if there was any riding in there.

tim

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Tim, how about this ride? Not much singletrack but lots of vertical.

http://newdenverbritishcolumbia.blog...ahopk-new.html

Alamo Trail in New Denver is another great ride. Epic if you ride up Idaho Peak and Queen Bess roads to access the trail. Another epic in the New Denver area is Alps Alturas. 16 km of logging rd(?) followed by a ride up an old mining track into the alpine. The last part is primarily done as a hike but I have heard it has been ridden by strong riders(not me!)

Christina lake has a challenging ride, Cascade Crest I believe it's called. Also an alpine ridge ride. Check with the folks at wwww.wildways.com for trail conditions.

Just across the border from Rossland in Washington is the Kettle Crest Trail. Access is from Sherman Pass.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Tim, were you on the North or South side of Valhalla?

You should get yourself a copy of the BC Backroads map book next time you're up here. Lots of good info.

mtbr member
    You could follow the Trans Rockies route: http://www.transrockies.com/trc/
    If you want all the comforts of home, stay there.

Rides, Reviews, Races and Random Thoughts

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    telebiker

hoder creek out of passmore.

tim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker
    Christina lake has a challenging ride, Cascade Crest I believe it's called. Also an alpine ridge ride. Check with the folks at www.wildways.com for trail conditions.

Just across the border from Rossland in Washington is the Kettle Crest Trail. Access is from Sherman Pass.
    The Cascade Crest is on my to-do list as well as the Kettle Crest, nothing better than big ride exploring. One trail that would be fun in a masochistic way is the Christina Lake portion of the Dewdney Trail. I've never done the entire climb nor DH in one shot due to poor timing but have ridden all the portions at one time or another. The climb up Santa Rosa Road (~27km) is a true leg-burner, especially the steeper lower half. And don't even consider it when it's cooking in mid-summer, trust me on that one.

I am going to try a Double Dewdney Day this summer. Ride from my house in Rossland, up the Cascade Road to where the 7 Summits Trail crosses it, descend the little known west facing Dewdney Trail to Sheep Creek, climb back up the Cascade Road from Sheep Creek, descend the portion of the Dewdney that finishes up the 7S Trail, then cruise home on the paved highway if my numb legs will let me. Methinks I'll hit the grocery store hard after that ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You should get yourself a copy of the BC Backroads map book next time you're up here. Lots of good info.
    Ahhhhhh, The Bible. No adventurous BC biker should be without one.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gord962
    You could follow the Trans Rockies route: http://www.transrockies.com/trc/
    Way too much fireroad.

Try Brewer Creek in Invermere. That should take 10 hours out of your life if done without the car. Or you can bike-a-neer it and do a 3 day self-supported in there going ridge to ridge. There are photos about on it in this site. The downhill section got trimmed too.

There's actually good riding in the North WA side of the Rossland Range on the road between Rossland to Spokane. Lots of ridgelines to ride there too.
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    hi tim208, did you ride up wakefield? i rode down it once on the big bike but now i have a much lighter,climb friendly bike i was thinking that would be doable.how long did it take to climb up?

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Wakefield would be an absolute grunt(or a hike) going up. I'd think twice about that one but I'm not a very strong climber. It is best done as a shuttle or as a ride up Idaho Peak road from Sandon and down Wakefield back to town.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Wakefield would be an absolute grunt(or a hike) going up. I'd think twice about that one but I'm not a very strong climber. It is best done as a shuttle or as a ride up Idaho Peak road from Sandon and down Wakefield back to town.
    Hey Telebiker.......

NO shuttle for you!

Think it as training.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    sale mountain, martha creek.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    we rode from new denver and made a loop out of it. Climbing up idaho peak on the road is a grunt. but doable. the whole loop took about 8 hours.

looking down on slocan lake from the parking lot.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7 summits, wakefield trail whats next?-img_2735res.jpg  

mtbr member
    East side of Kootenay Lake:

Lockhart Creek
    Earl Grey Pass

North of Kootenay Lake:

The Silvercup

Revy:

Frisbee Ridge

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If you venture into the Creston area, there is the Lady Slipper trail which can be linked with a few other trails in the area.

roots, rocks, rhythm
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208
    we rode from new denver and made a loop out of it. Climbing up idaho peak on the road is a grunt. but doable. the whole loop took about 8 hours.

Hey Telebiker sounds like a doable ride next time I am in New Denver.
    What do you think??????

The beer would be well deserved if we did the ride from you're house...........

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    DawgPee, you can start ahead of me and I'll meet you at the parking lot. Gotta fix a flat. (now where did I put those car keys?)
    Last edited by telebiker; 05-24-2010 at 07:00 PM.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tim208

Well done Tim. I'll spot you a Faceplant Ale next time you're in town.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Last year rode Galena from town, then up "H road" trail to the cutblock, then onto the Idaho lookout road, then down Wakefield and back to New Denver. Same 8h or so; many really great rides in that area, and will definitely come back sometime!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    cdnblur

I believe that was our route. we used the cable car crossing and than some single track to a cut block onto the idaho peak road.

I am trying to get back there in early june.

if you could catch a ride with one of the paragliders that would be ideal.

I do have the backroads map book and as many topo of the kootenays i can find.

telebiker i will take you up on that.

tim

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySmoke
    Revy:

Frisbee Ridge
    Frisbee Ridge!?!! we tried 4X4'ing in tylers truck up there last time and that was an adventure!

Sure is nice country but are there really trails up there?

mtbr member
    Well, apparently it got cut in late last summer. 30-40km out and back is what I was told. Skookum in Revy should know.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySmoke
    Well, apparently it got cut in late last summer. 30-40km out and back is what I was told. Skookum in Revy should know.
    It is being built but isn't currently built.

And Silver Cup? Is that at Trout Lake? Because last I heard it was pretty rough.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    wow kootenays, yes tim the wakefield loop is harder than 7 summits sort of. my first gear didnt work for the last 5km of the idaho peak road and i really wanted it. i was too tired and there were too many bugs to fix it. i was looking for h road but ended up riding the gravel road to sandon.
    there are several spots on wakefield that are very green and overgrown but passable. it's a bit rougher in spots than i remember after a 9 year absence but all good still.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7 summits, wakefield trail whats next?-wakefield.jpg  

Last edited by aryman; 08-25-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: photo added

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    well i ended up doing keystone basin a couple of weeks ago. good ride, but not an epic ride or one i would just travel for. I stopped at wilds of canada and rob suggested i try choices. Fun trail, i road it on the way up to keystone and on the way back. Next time i am up that way it should be winter.

I do like new denver.

tim

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    It is being built but isn't currently built.

And Silver Cup? Is that at Trout Lake? Because last I heard it was pretty rough.
    yah - lots of washouts in the fire - road sections but you can pick up the bike and hike around. Cool old mining trails. Nice ridgeline too

Members who have read this thread: 2