3 Month BC Trip- Mtbr.com

Thread: 3 Month BC Trip

mtbr member

3 Month BC Trip

This summer my partner and I are doing a 3 month trip out to BC from the East Coast. This trip is all about mountain biking.

We are both competent and capable going up and down. We've ridden a cross section of BC stuff between MTB specific trips and stage races. We are both riding 140mm trail bikes, so trail riding, not lift access.

We are bringing our travel trailer and it's set up well to camp without services. I'm on here asking now as BC parks is just starting to allow reservations for camping over the time frame we'll be there and from what I'm reading, they can book up quick.

Here is a rough itinerary. 'Booked' means I already have reservations for camping. Other places are rough areas we plan to be. We have connections in Squamish and Rossland (who is also going to join/guide us in Revelstoke)

Cross into Vancouver July 12.
    North Vancouver (2 nights)
    Ferry to Island
    ?????? (4 nights)
    Cumberland (4 nights - booked)
    Ferry to Mainland
    Squamish (7 nights - booked)
    Whistler/Pemberton (9 nights)
    Kamloops/Kelowna (8 nights)
    Revelstoke (7 nights)
    Rossland (7 nights - booked)
    Nelson/Kimberly (5 nights)
    Fernie (7 nights)
    Invemere (2 nights)
    Banff (4 nights - booked)
    Sept 17th - Start heading East

So any suggestions of places that might be must rides/stays, are easy to plan/navigate for non locals and are not readily accessible (under 45 minutes of driving) from those locals? Though in general I want to stay south of Kamloops/Revelstoke/Banff.

As general notes. We generally like to stay places minimum of 2 nights unless there is an easy place boondock (just pull over and sleep). We want to stay in certain places for up to 7 nights. This is fine as it's fun to get to know the town and riding stuff a couple times is not a problem.

Any comments? Suggestions? Bonus to recommending camping (for an RV) that is easy access (riding) to trails.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    I should also mention. Ferry rides can get expensive hauling the trailer. So we limited ourselves to just going to the island and back.

And I guess it's a 2 month trip as there's a month of driving and spending a week in Washington.
    Straight outta Rossland

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Good riding in New Denver near Retallack. 2 to3 days for sure. Camping in New Denver and at the Provincial Park in Rosebery. Free ferries on Kootenay lakes.

Kamloops and Kelowna may be stinking hot in August.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by telebiker View Post
    Good riding in New Denver near Retallack. 2 to3 days for sure. Camping in New Denver and at the Provincial Park in Rosebery. Free ferries on Kootenay lakes.

Kamloops and Kelowna may be stinking hot in August.
    Thanks. New Denver was suggested as a stop by our guide between Revelstoke and Rossland (I think just for ride driving through), but may need further exploration.

Good reminder about Kamloops/Kelowna. We aren't super heat sensitive, but might need to consider that when choosing campsites.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    If you need to fill nights on the island camping at Cowichan lake and then riding tzouhalem and maple mtns would be fun (Prevost is great but not exactly for trail bikes!). Also some riding around Nanaimo but I haven't ridden any of it besides Hammerfest in ages

Overall looks like a super rad trip that's awesome you have so much time!

mtbr member
    4 days in Cumberland sounds great. You can ride all the trails from town or the lake campground. Hammerfest near Parksville is a 50 minute drive from Cumberland and has an entirely different feel than our trails. A trail bike is perfect for here, let me know if you want trail recommendations. You will enjoy the town, very different than most places.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    4 days in Cumberland sounds great. You can ride all the trails from town or the lake campground. Hammerfest near Parksville is a 50 minute drive from Cumberland and has an entirely different feel than our trails. A trail bike is perfect for here, let me know if you want trail recommendations. You will enjoy the town, very different than most places.
    Good riding in Campbell River too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    If you need to fill nights on the island camping at Cowichan lake and then riding tzouhalem and maple mtns would be fun (Prevost is great but not exactly for trail bikes!). Also some riding around Nanaimo but I haven't ridden any of it besides Hammerfest in ages

Overall looks like a super rad trip that's awesome you have so much time!
    Thanks. That a good recommendation. Not sure what our plan is for the other 4 days on the island, but Cowichan seems like potentially a good spot. I'd like to visit Victoria as I have a friend I want to visit. But that could be a day trip, potentially combined with a ride.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    I booked the lake campground, seemed like some trails were easily accessible from there. Thanks for the offer. I'll PM you closer to our visit. We might try to do a day trip up to Campbell River when in Cumberland.

And thanks for the recommendation of Hammerfest. I think the other half of our time on the island will be focused between Nanaimo and Victoria, just a matter of deciding where.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    In Duncan Mount Tzouhalem is incredible. Double D an Loam Line are almost life changing.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Wow, sounds like an epic adventure

mtbr member
    If you have connections in Victoria maybe start by taking ferry to Victoria and start there and work your way up Victoria/Cowichan valley/Nanaimo/Parksville/Cumberland

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would plan your Kamloops/Kelowna week as Thompson/Okanagan.

I would base in Vernon, if the weather is the weather is nice camp up at Silver Star.
    The riding in Vernon is really good, quite under-rated actually. I would plan
    1. Kalalmalka lake park. Do Stone Free and Big Ed. This was a stage in single track six a couple of years ago. 2hr single track climb, followed by pretty gnarly descent.
    2. Salmon Arm. Rubberhead trails and south Canoe trails. Super fun trail-net works. The larch-hills traverse is also a possiblity but it is a big day.
    3. Bike park Silver Star. Once of the best bike parts around. A lot of fun on a short travel bike. Then hit up the XC trails at Silver Star once your arms are fried.
    4. Kelowna, Crawford trail system. Highly recommend a trail by name Angle Springs, maybe the best descent in the Valley. Vapor is also really good.
    5. Beach. Rest days are important.
    6. Penticton. Bit longer drive to get to this one but absolutely worth it. Plan on riding the Mice. Huge trail system but a maze.
    7. Kamloops. Give me a buzz and if I am around I can show you around.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I would plan your Kamloops/Kelowna week as Thompson/Okanagan.

I would base in Vernon, if the weather is the weather is nice camp up at Silver Star.
    The riding in Vernon is really good, quite under-rated actually. I would plan
    1. Kalalmalka lake park. Do Stone Free and Big Ed. This was a stage in single track six a couple of years ago. 2hr single track climb, followed by pretty gnarly descent.
    2. Salmon Arm. Rubberhead trails and south Canoe trails. Super fun trail-net works. The larch-hills traverse is also a possiblity but it is a big day.
    3. Bike park Silver Star. Once of the best bike parts around. A lot of fun on a short travel bike. Then hit up the XC trails at Silver Star once your arms are fried.
    4. Kelowna, Crawford trail system. Highly recommend a trail by name Angle Springs, maybe the best descent in the Valley. Vapor is also really good.
    5. Beach. Rest days are important.
    6. Penticton. Bit longer drive to get to this one but absolutely worth it. Plan on riding the Mice. Huge trail system but a maze.
    7. Kamloops. Give me a buzz and if I am around I can show you around.

Thanks LMN, excellent information and greatly appreciated, I'll definitely use this itinerary for our time in the area. Also thank you for the offer in Kamloops. I'll send you a pm as we approach the dates, always nice to be shown around.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    While in the Kimberley area check out the riding in Cranbrook too, there are some great trails there (unfortunately all are not on Trailforks, so check with local shops) also, while in Fernie a trip to Crowsnest Pass is also recommended (45 min drive). Lots of new trails there worth checking out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    While in the Kimberley area check out the riding in Cranbrook too, there are some great trails there (unfortunately all are not on Trailforks, so check with local shops) also, while in Fernie a trip to Crowsnest Pass is also recommended (45 min drive). Lots of new trails there worth checking out.
    Thanks for the recommendations. Will definitely check out Cranbrook.

And I think I need to visit Blairmore again, head into the grocery story, buy a box of ice cream bars, sit on the sidewalk eating the while thing and relive a Transrockies moment.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Look into how much the "BC Ferries Circle Tour" costs. Could be worthwhile getting an extra day or two riding in Powell River-Sechelt-Roberts Creek-Gibsons (avoid leaving on a Sunday) rather than sitting at Departure Bay ferry terminal.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PUNKY View Post
    Look into how much the "BC Ferries Circle Tour" costs. Could be worthwhile getting an extra day or two riding in Powell River-Sechelt-Roberts Creek-Gibsons (avoid leaving on a Sunday) rather than sitting at Departure Bay ferry terminal.
    Thanks, didn't know such a thing existed. I'll Definitely look into that, it would be great to visit that area.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Book the Mount Fernie Provinical Park (Fernie obv) if you are not too late. It is one of the best spots for camping/biking. Very few places can you bike from your campsite and not have to drive. The RV park in town is very nice too (great views, but very crowded like a typical RV park, location relative to town can't be beat) but a lot more expensive. Fernie for 7 days is a very good idea :0)

mtbr member
    I'm down in Victoria and only working part-time in July so if you want a guide for Victoria or Sooke trails PM me.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Update to the trip progress.

Departed NB on June 23rd, arrived in Fernie BC on July 1st, dragging my travel trailer across Canada. One unexpected 2 day/2night lay over in E. Ontario with a minor truck issue, one expected 2day/2night lay over in N. Ontario to visit my parents. Overall, having never driven cross country, I enjoyed it, but it was tiring and we were anxious to get into BC.

Originally the plan was to drive through the states, but just before leaving, the fork on my bike died. My NB LBS sent it out for warranty, with a 2 week expected turn around. That meant I needed to be stationary in Canada, for an extended period to have it shipped. With connections at an LBS in Rossland/Trail, we booked in there for 5 days about when we were expecting it to be delivered.

First we had some time to kill before Rossland, so we stopped in Fernie for 4 days, but without a bike it a quite the tease. I did however rent a bike for 24 hours (Rocky Mountain Slayer) and managed 2 rides. One ride did a few laps around Ridgemont, including a sidewinder and then Deadfall/Oh Dear descents. Second ride was Project 9/Verboten. Overall enjoyed the riding, the climbing was steep, especially for the Slayer, but it was fun to point that bike down (current bike is a Giant Trance Advanced).

We pulled into Fernie without any reservations on July 1st. Luckily you can camp in the parking lots at Fernie alpine resort. Stayed there a night, then moved over to the RV park where they had space. The RV park had the nicest bathrooms I've ever seen, and great access to the Ridgemont Trails. This was a 'bonus' Fernie visit, we'll return in September for 7 days, staying at the Provincial Park and really explore. I look forward to getting my free beer while doing the Fernie Brewing Company trail to ale challenge.

3 Month BC Trip-fernie.jpg

From Fernie we moved on Rossland. Again a last minute(ish) booking for camping. Luckily managed a spot at the Lions Campground, not an ideal spot for the trailer, but it worked. As we were driving from Fernie to Rossland, we called the LBS in NB, the fork was in and they shipped it. Unfortunately they went regular parcel from Canada Post (I failed to detail I wanted it shipped as fast as possible). So it was set to arrive 6 days after we were to leave Rossland. D'oh, that plan failed.

Luckily with connections in Rossland, I got hooked up with a loaner bike, even if it was a older model 26er Giant Anthem, it was still a bike to ride. We even got toured around some fine Trails, including a first rip up Tamarack and down Whiskey on the Rocks/Whiskey. After that we did a couple self guided tours, including many of the trails around the Centennial trail head (Kootenay Columbia, KC Ridge, Techno Grind, Snake), then a nice ride down to Warfield and Back up (Milky way, Green Door, back up with rail grade and drakes).

3 Month BC Trip-rossland.jpg

Just as we were leaving Rossland, I arranged to have the LBS there redirect my fork to Squamish (MTN Fun Base Camp, where we know the owners), where I was set to be a couple weeks later. I also bought a $150 used fork to get me through. Of course, the day after I left Rossland, my fork did arrive (last tracking said it was still in MTL). We are also coming back to Rossland in late August, so we'll hit 7 summits and other stuff.

Next major stop was Vancouver, which was the original starting point in Canada. But we still had two nights to kill before our reservations started kicking in. So we we spent a night in Oliver, breathed some smoke and ate lots of Cherries. Next night we pulled over in Chilliwack and rode Vedder mountain. Great spot, nice climbing trail and descended 2cents, Mongo, Mexican Ninja, Electric Lettuce, Femur.

3 Month BC Trip-vedder.jpg

Pulled into W. Van, Capilano RV park. Went to head to Fromme for a first ride but the hwy was jammed heading East. So we did a last second change of plans and went to Cyprus. Without any research, that was a mistake. We'll call that a right off. We did get 400m of climbing and descending, but it wasn't much fun.

Next day we headed to Fromme. It was greasy with a light rain overnight, but still had a fun opening lap on Bob Sled, then climbing back up my dog got injured, so we took the quickest way back down, Leppord, Crinkum, Kirkford and called it a day. Rode over to Burnaby, had a few pints, met friends, and watched the Gran Prix during speed week.

Next day we did Seymour. Climbed all the way up, then descended CBC, Corkscrew, Pingu, Pangor. Last three were a blast, though I would have lapped more below rather than climb up for CBC. Also found out this day my fork arrived in Squamish and even got lucky with a delivery to N. Van as someone was coming through. Bonus!

3 Month BC Trip-cbc.jpg

Final ride in N.Van was back to Fromme, where I met a former student. I thought he was a bit stronger rider. We rode to the top, did 7th Secret. It was obvious the technical was above his comfort level, so we burned the road down and did Bobsled and called it a night.

For the most part, the riding in N.Van had some bad luck interjected, but enjoyed what we did ride and even more reason to come back.

After N. Van, caught the Ferry to Van Island and made it Cowichan River PP for 4 nights of camping. Rode Maple Mountain, still one of the best rides of the trip. Great climbing trail and a really nice descent, with fast, technical, some climbing to extend it. Thumbs up.

Next ride was Mt Tzuhalem. That turned into a bit of a cluster crap. Rode to the top, descended Rocky Mountain Ridge, went back up, with the lack of signs, combined with some navigational errors on our part and we ended up 150m down the back side of the mountain on an unmarked trail (after a bunch of messing around before that). Hiked back up and worked our way down. Double D at the end did however make up for most of the problems.

3 Month BC Trip-tzou.jpg

Last ride, after some other driving to visit friends, etc, decided to just rip Maple Mountain again for simplicity

Moved on to Cumberland from there. Stayed at the Lake Campground. I think I ended up with 5 rides in Cumberland Forest. Two early morning rips with the dogs to get them exercise, then a meet up with a friend who was visiting family and had just done BCBR, and a couple more rips on our own. Overall really enjoyed the riding and town. Brewery was good! Rained a fair amount the last 3 days, the only rain we'd really seen since Manitoba.

Did take a day and headed up to Campbell River, 3 hours in the steady rain. Kept it simple and rode from closer to town. Water Tower, Ridge, Dean Martin, Aligator, Stickman, Mudhoney, looped some of the green/blue stuff, the forest was magical then ripped back through deliverance (and Dean/Ridge/Water). The rocks in there were the most slippery I've every experienced when wet. Overall a fun day in the rain, nice cruise, minimal climbing. Actually the one and only time I would have wanted a race hardtail in BC.

From Van Island, drove to Squamish, been here for the past 7 days. Ridden my heart out (20 hours of ride time over 7 days) and loved every minute of it. Such a great place. Between N. Van and now here, I've progressed more in my riding than the past 20 years (I've been riding for 25 years now). Highlight trails include: somewhere over there, hueso, another man's gold, but there weren't many I rode that I thought weren't worth it (okay maybe Icy hole of death).

We are staying at the Mtn Fun Basecamp (formerly Wonderland RV) with great access to the Alice Lake system.

3 Month BC Trip-squamish.jpg

Tomorrow I pack up and head to Whistler proper for a couple nights, then 7 nights in Nairn Park just outside of Pemberton. From there we'll alternate between Pemby and Whistler riding. Looking stupid hot however (42 C on Thursday). Might be shorter early rides. Hoping Lord of the Squirrels completely opens up before we are set to leave. Heard such amazing things about it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 Month BC Trip-tzou.jpg  

Straight outta Rossland

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I was just in Rossland hanging out with a bunch of Maritimers. I suspect you know the crew. Hope the rest of your trip goes smooth.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I was just in Rossland hanging out with a bunch of Maritimers. I suspect you know the crew. Hope the rest of your trip goes smooth.
    Haha...yes..it was that Maritime generosity that got me back on a bike (even had offers to be hooked up with a spare fork for as long a I needed).

Hope you enjoyed the area (and the singletrack3).
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Update to the trip progress.

Tomorrow I pack up and head to Whistler proper for a couple nights, then 7 nights in Nairn Park just outside of Pemberton. From there we'll alternate between Pemby and Whistler riding. Looking stupid hot however (42 C on Thursday). Might be shorter early rides. Hoping Lord of the Squirrels completely opens up before we are set to leave. Heard such amazing things about it.
    Thanks or your in-depth post. I am heading out to the island leaving Saturday the 5th from Omemee ON need to be in Victoria on the 15th. I plan on hitting some of the areas you have been through, Squamish came highly recommended. Keep up the posts as it looks like you are taking the same route we are planning. I am hoping the fires and heat subside soon for every ones benefit.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Tomorrow I pack up and head to Whistler proper for a couple nights, then 7 nights in Nairn Park just outside of Pemberton. From there we'll alternate between Pemby and Whistler riding. Looking stupid hot however (42 C on Thursday).
    We'll be doing the opposite...we are heading to Pemby today for 2 days then Whistler for 2 days. Yup it looks like a scorcher. We'll ride early or late depending on the day.

Have fun!
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Just got back from 4 days in Pemby and Whistler. Man the smoke was bad. Real bad. Felt like I was smoking a pack of cigs a day. No joke. Plus it was hot as heck.

Since I had the time off I'd still rather be riding than sitting at home, but ya not the best time to pick for a visit.

We skipped any of the bi alpine rides due to the smoke, but we'll come back in the fall once things cool down and the air clears.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Yes, the smoke has been less than pleasant. Yesterday (Saturday) seemed to kick it up a notch as well. We've been riding relatively lightly since it rolled it. We needed the rest anyway after riding a lot of Squamish.

Our first two rides in Whistler were easy. Cut yer Bars then a river runs through it. Second was a ride up Blackcomb and then down Microclimate. Unfortuantely micro was very dusty and blown out. Not worth the climb up for me.

We then moved to Pemberton. Took a rest day, then the next day I did a top of the world run. (Top of the World, Kyber, Middle of nowhere, Kashmir, Kush, then others I followed my friends down).

Next day was a Pemby ride. Rode up 850m and came down Rudy's, Overnight Sensation, then a couple other blues (Radio tower, etc).

Yesterday was a little Whistler ride. Kill Me Thrill me, followed by a climb up the start of Comfortably numb and descend down Out there. Out there is potentially my favorite trail of the trip so far. So much rocky, technical descending goodness.

Today we are heading back to Pemby, gonna hit Creampuff and some others. Tomorrow is Lord of the squirrels, hope the smoke clears some.

3 Month BC Trip-kashmir.jpg
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    So, what have I (we) been up to?

Last I left was Lord of the Squirrels. Yes. Did it, loved it. I get this tingly feeling when I start breaking out into the alpine. It's magical. The climb up into the Mystic (and flank trail before that) was a little rough, but it's all worth it. The traverse through the alpine was just great. Unfortunately there was still a fair bit of snow and we didn't extend the ride by doing the out and back to Sprout Mountain. And of course, it was smokey, so views were minimal. Lord of the squirrels descent was fun, nothing crazy, but very enjoyable. I hit 'Legalize it' continuing the descent. Unfortunately I didn't line up a chute properly and ate it hard on a stump. I won't upload those pictures, but they include ripped clothing, broken shoes, twisted ankles and a lots of bruising. Fortunately nothing too serious.

3 Month BC Trip-lordofsquirrels.jpg

From Pemberton we made the drive to Kamloops. Temps were still crazy and the smoke was 2-3x worse than Pemberton. With my injuries, it was a night spent doing laundry, groceries and healing. Next day we moved on to Penticton (our just south at Okanogan falls PP).

Took another day off to heal, attended the Peach fest, drank some beer and did lots of walking with the dogs. Still a fair bit of smoke.

Ended up doing two rides at Three blind mice. One day was a climb to the top, Sidewinder down, traverse across Rusty Muffler and then a descent down slabs.

Second day was a half climb up, down Skull Coaster, then a bunch of getting lost, almost stepping on two rattlers and then another down of Slabs and Fred.

Overall we enjoyed the Penticton riding. After spending 2+ weeks in the Sea to Sky corridor, the Okanogan valley was very tame and a welcome change from full on technical all the time.

From Penticton, it was a move to Kelowna and Bear Creek PP. Only did one ride in the Crawford system. Best was, there as some rain overnight and the smoke cleared. For the first time in 12 days or so we actually got some views. Rode to the top of course, then down Vapour. Scared up a mother bear and cubs on the descent. Then climbed up some more and did hillbilly and Earings back to the Truck.

3 Month BC Trip-crawford.jpg

After Kelowna, during a travel day, we did a midway stop at Kalamalka Lake. That was a partial climb up, then down Twista and No Boats as the major descents. Nice climbing trail, wish we had gone to the stop, but it was a travel day ride.

From there, we went to Silverstar to meet some friends. Day 1 we did the Beowulf 'epic' that was created by the park. Interesting trail, overall I enjoyed the ride, however it was almost 100% machine built. There wasn't a rock or root in sight. The descent and climb were textbook trail building with perfect grades and reversals to either extend the descent or keep you fresh on the climb. I wish the down had a little more 'excitement' to it, we all rated the ride as a light blue technically, fitness a dark blue, but officially a black to keep casual day renters from trying it out. Since Silverstar is a high mid mountain village, you actually climb a little, do the major descent first, then climb in the second half. I prefer to pay for my descent in advance, not on credit.

3 Month BC Trip-beowulf.jpg

Day 2 at silverstar we hit the park. We decided to rent enduro bikes, our trail bikes being a little light, plus I preferred to just beat up a rental. Enjoyed it all, did as many runs as I could to get my monies worth. Double dog? (memory failing me without looking it up) was by far my favorite trail.

After a day of DH, drove to Revelstoke and set up at Marth Creek PP for 7 nights.

Loved Revelstoke riding. Did 5 rides

Keystone is my favorite ride of the trip. The scenery, riding and alpine flowers were just stellar.

3 Month BC Trip-keystone.jpg

Frisby was great as well. Not as much alpine riding as Keystone, but still outstanding. Hit ultimate Frisby on the way down, which was a fun little addition.

3 Month BC Trip-frisby.jpg

Also did 3 rides in McPherson mixed in. Tantrum/Buff Enough/Toad School/Dusty Beaver UP then Flow Down is just a great ride. Did that twice in combination with all sorts of other stuff in there.

More Keystone cause it was awesome.

3 Month BC Trip-rudy-alpine.jpg

From Revelstoke it was back to Rossland. Been here for the past 7 days.

Done a bunch of riding. Highlights include Whisky on the Rocks/Whiskey, which was a revenge ride from my third of the trip, when I didn't have my own bike, nor my BC climbing legs and we were riding with some talented locals (and got schooled). Super MegaDeath/Awesome was a great as well. So was eating loads of Huckleberries on Red Mountain.

3 Month BC Trip-huckleberries.jpg

With some stuff happening, I ended up doing a late afternoon Seven Summits rip on my own today to get it in before leaving. I got out late and had to keep it steady to beat sunset. Overall it was fun, though unfortunately smoke rolled in again and the views were less than stellar.

3 Month BC Trip-sevensumits.jpg

Tomorrow its on to Nelson for a 5 days, then Fernie for 7, Invemere for a couple days, then Banff, form there still up in the air. But turns out, we aren't heading back east..............
    Last edited by CptSydor; 08-30-2017 at 07:07 AM.
    Straight outta Rossland

mtbr member
    I am back home now. There are 2 things I lacked on my visit, time and skill. Four weeks is not enough time to drive from southern Ontario to the island and home and try to get some riding in.

I rode a little on some trails on the hill in the north part of Kelowna. Time got tight on the island and I got stung by a wasp in Victoria. I don’t know if you can tell which foot got it.

3 Month BC Trip-img_20170817_155708.jpg

No mtbing happened there except for riding the road on Thetis Island. After leaving there we went to Squamish (no smoke very clear skies) stayed at MTN fun base camp. I had a day set aside to ride. Went up Wonderland, White Rabbit, Cheshire Kitten part of Cheshire Cat and Section 57 to the walk-in campsites. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1930923203
    I found it a little intimidating going along the embankment with the river below. The switchback on 57 was not ridable for me (it seemed to be directional from the other way) would have been way to steep for me to descend. At one point it got rather dark in the thick rain forest it wasn't until I got back that I realized it wasn't the thick canopy but rather the eclipse. Once I got to the campground I took the road back and then back through Wonderland. I was warned by rockyuphill that BC blue trails are black diamond in the east.

3 Month BC Trip-img_20170821_115203.jpg

After being knocked down a peg or two, when I got back I told my wife this is way beyond me so we went up the gondola, did I mention there was no smoke to be seen? The view was beautiful. Had to move on and catch other attractions no more mtbing could be had.

Two things I learned from my experience.
    1. I will no longer call the stuff I do mountain biking, it will now be called “off road biking”
    2. The skillset I thought I had developed over the past 15 years of riding was not even close enough for what is required. I don’t know if I would live long enough to develop the skills for those trails. The only skill and conditioning I did have was to be able to hike-a-bike.

We made our way to south eastern Alberta into Montana and took hwy 2 back to the Soo and home from there.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

ups and downs
    From the Trailforks description for Section 57...

"If going up there is a short section that most people walk. Don't let that deter you, the climb is amazing and this is a fantastic way to get to Cheshire Cat."

So you get a pass there.

I see that MTBQC just posted a video of a new trail called Bella Coola at Mont Sainte Anne in Quebec that is rated black diamond, and I was thinking "Wait, where's the mandatory elevated trail features, rock rolls, gap jumps or drops, or life threatening exposures? That can't be a black diamond trail"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an0cKKOCVNw
    https://www.trailforks.com/trails/bella-coola/

It looks like a bunch of the blue intermediate trails in Squamish. You can actually find a bunch of blue trails that are minimally life threatening (or at least no worse than White Rabbit and Wonderland), but there is a reason that body armour and full face helmets suitable for climbing and descending were developed for riding in BC long before Enduro was a verb. Good to hear that you had a taste of coastal BC riding.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    Two things I learned from my experience.
    1. I will no longer call the stuff I do mountain biking, it will now be called “off road biking”
    2. The skillset I thought I had developed over the past 15 years of riding was not even close enough for what is required. I don’t know if I would live long enough to develop the skills for those trails. The only skill and conditioning I did have was to be able to hike-a-bike.
    Prior to moving to BC I would have told you I was a hardcore mountain biker. Looking back now I realize I had no idea and my career really started when I moved to a place with truly techy trails and 365 day a year riding.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com