2nd-hand bikes in Calgary- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

2nd-hand bikes in Calgary

Hi,

I am looking to buy a cheap, beat-up (mountain or road) bike for commuting in Calgary. I went to Bow Cycles and they didn't have much. I know I could do the garage sales, but it is fairly time consuming. Does anybody know what the best source of info would be? Bargain Finder?

Thanks a lot in advance,
    Blackdiamond.
    A climb is really just a flat piece of road that points up. A headwind is a climb that you can't see. So it's all flat road, really.

mtbr member

Tell more

Quote Originally Posted by dbblackdiamond
    Hi,

I am looking to buy a cheap, beat-up (mountain or road) bike for commuting in Calgary. I went to Bow Cycles and they didn't have much. I know I could do the garage sales, but it is fairly time consuming. Does anybody know what the best source of info would be? Bargain Finder?

Thanks a lot in advance,
    Blackdiamond.
    What are you after and what kind of price range and how tall are you. I'm sure one of the people here must have something or know someone looking to offload an old machine.

Formerly DMR For Life
    definately look at the bargin finder...also bowcycle has a classified section on its site so check that out too
    DMR

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Some suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by dbblackdiamond
    Hi,

Thanks a lot in advance,
    Blackdiamond.
    There is a lot of good commuter beaters for sale in the Bargain Finder. There are quite a few bikes in Calgary for sale on Pinkbike.com. Check the hardtail section for the best luck. The Classified section on line at bowcycle is worth checking also.

Reids auction in the S.E. just off of Mcleod Trail has an auction every Tuesday at around 6pm and sometimes there is bikes there. Just call them on auction day and ask if there is any bikes. I have seen $300.00 bikes and up go for $100.00 and much less. Most are old rigid and hardtails, but the occasional nicer bike is there. Who cares if you are looking for a commuter right? I have seen specialized, Kona, Gt, and Santa Cruz bikes move through Reids auction.

conjoinicorned
    pinkbike.com

there isn't a better used resource for the calgary area.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Nov 2005
    pinkbike sucks inless you want a freeride bike.
    try www.bowcycle.com free online classifieds. they get some cheap deals on there sometimes. possibly check out the sport swap downtown, across from mountain equipment co-op. they have some pretty cheap ones. not always the best deals, so be careful-youll either get a really good deal or get robbed.

mtbr member
    Pinkbike is ok but a lot of the sellers are dreamers. You'd think that a bicycle would never depreciate if you looked at that site. I've seen people asking more for a 2 yr old bike than it'd cost to buy a new one. (And no, there were no upgrades.)

With that being said, there are good some good deals on components and frames and there are dozens of new listings every day.

Oh yeah, the average age on that site is probably around 15 as well. Make sure the seller gets permission from mommy before he/she agrees to sell you the bike.

Ken.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Pink Bike has been very good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cmatcan
    pinkbike sucks inless you want a freeride bike.
    try www.bowcycle.com free online classifieds. they get some cheap deals on there sometimes. possibly check out the sport swap downtown, across from mountain equipment co-op. they have some pretty cheap ones. not always the best deals, so be careful-youll either get a really good deal or get robbed.

I disagree about one of the posters saying most of the bikes on Pinkbike being over priced. Mainly because I have bought and sold on Pinbike. I bought a MINT 2004 Heckler on Pinkbike in 2004 that was beyond pimped for $2600.00CDN. It would be 5k at a bike shop in Canada easily. It had hadley hubs, full xtr, chris king headset, Roox bars and stem, Thomson post, etc, etc, and it was literally brand new. There are a ton of deals on that website right now.

There is a mint xc polished Heckler on Pinkbike right now in Calgary that has a great parts spec for $2200.00. The fork alone, is worth over $1000.00 CDN. No this is not my bike.

There is a lot of xc bikes on PB, you just have to scroll through the bikes for a while. I have seen Specialized epics, Enduros, Devinci Moon racers, Hecklers, Titanium hardtails. You name it is on Pinkbike.

My .02

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    There are some good deals at pinkbike but not much for hardtails that arent jumping bikes though. I got a 2001 Enduro frame with a King headset for slighly over $200 . I'd say thats a pretty good deal. There are lots of bikes that are beat to crap on that site though.

And you will probably have to deal with some spoiled 15 year old dweeb.

Members who have read this thread: 0