2hr XC ride rec in Vancouver- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

2hr XC ride rec in Vancouver

I will be in Vancouver next week for business, but I am strongly considering renting a bike for a few hours one afternoon and hitting some nice singletrack. I have been doing some reading about local trails and a lot of them seem (as expected) DH oriented with a need for a shuttle. I am looking for more XC, no body armor. If you could only ride one area for 2hrs in the aftrenoon, what would it be?

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    My suggestion would be Burnaby Mountain @ SFU. There is trail and contact info here: http://www.bmba.ca/
    Part of the problem around here is finding your way around if you're not local and finding appropriate xc trails as there isn't an abundance of what could be considered visitor friendly
    if you're not used to the gnar.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for the response Slowup. I did some research and besides your Burnaby suggestion I am also considering riding the lower Seymour trails. Based on what I read they seem XC rideable. As a reference, last year I was in Whistler and spend some time riding the Lost Lake trails and absolutely loved them (I am obviously not talking about the smooth wide path around the lake but the singeltrack trails running of the main path). If I can get that kind of terrain and forrest in Vancouver that would be just awesome. I live in Utah and we dont have that kind of forrest here.

The other reason Seymour is appealing is that the BC Bike Race has its prologue stage there. I am thinking about entering this race next year and so it would be cool to do a little preview.

How does Burnaby and Lower Seymour (say Briddle Path) compare to each other?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Starting from Parkgate mall - Old Buck -> Bridle -> Sticks and Stones -> Bottle Top then back to Bridle the opposite way to Parkgate would be a solid couple of hours North Shore XC. Lots of people riding that combo with no armor on a regular basis.

ups and downs
    If you want to extend that lower Seymour loop, when you drop down to Twin Bridges you can add an out and back on Fisherman's Trail (mostly all season hard pack trail and some boardwalk) if you just want to spin and ride by the river for 6km, and then back up to Hyannis for the return to Park Gate.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do variations of the North Shore Bike Fest marathon route.

Click here for the map

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Awesome...thanks for the recomendations. I think I am all set on the route. Now I need to find a demo bike...can you also recommend any shops with XC FS bikes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Filip
    Awesome...thanks for the recomendations. I think I am all set on the route. Now I need to find a demo bike...can you also recommend any shops with XC FS bikes?
    Obsession: Bikes has an Ibis Mojo demo bike.
    94 Lonsdale Avenue (at First Street)
    North Vancouver, BC, Canada V7M 2E6

Telephone: 604 985 2213

Endless Biking rents Rocky Mountain bikes:
    http://www.endlessbiking.com/rentals.htm

They also have guides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I can show you around the trails on the northshore in the seymour area and take you on a nice XC loop, if you're interested send me a message.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Cove Bikes does demo rentals out of North Van, very close to the base of Seymour. They'll have something for sure, really well built bikes and the guys there could point you in the right direction.

www.covebike.com
    Whistler-based MTB guiding
    www.WhistlerRideSupply.com

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Couch_Surfer
    Starting from Parkgate mall - Old Buck -> Bridle -> Sticks and Stones -> Bottle Top then back to Bridle the opposite way to Parkgate would be a solid couple of hours North Shore XC. Lots of people riding that combo with no armor on a regular basis.
    ^^^^^^^^ This

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks again for the info. I ended renting from John Henry (they are open till 9pm so that gave me more riding time). I started at Old Buck and pretty much rode the Bridle then added teh spin up Fishermans and then back to Old Buck. Had lots of fun and love the trails you guys have there.

Members who have read this thread: 0