2015 Alberta Cup XC Race Calendar- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

2015 Alberta Cup XC Race Calendar

I see the 2015 AB XC Cup race calendar is now posted on the Alberta Cycling website.

Is there a reason that this series starts so early? 3 of 6 races are scheduled to be completed before the end of May. I guess if it's anything like last year, races will be cancelled and re-scheduled for later in the summer, I just wonder sometimes if it would make more sense in Alberta's climate for an XC race series to run from say June - September.

No complaints here, however it just seems like a wasted effort to schedule races then have to move them because trail conditions aren't adequate yet.

ups and downs
    I imagine they're trying to get enough season in before the XC Nationals on July 17 that people get some race time and training.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This is my pet peeve as well. I consider Aug-Sept to be prime MTB season, but there's 1 XC and 9 CX races in that time frame. Good thing I like CX too, but I'd still trade about half of those Sept races for XC if I could.

What racing in Alberta looks like in June:
    2015 Alberta Cup XC Race Calendar-im1.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    noob questions: Are the Alberta Bicycle Association races the only option for XC racing in Alberta? I heard about the 24hrs of Adrenaline in Canmore but it is sold out. How did you guys get started racing in Alberta? Any other races I should be looking at as a first-timer?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you're in Calgary, last year Transrockies ran a weeknight series at COP. Hopefully it goes again this year, it's a nice casual intro to racing with no licensing requirements.

Dirty Thursdays Race Series - WinSport, Canada Olympic Park

For 24HoA, there are frequently teams looking for members, and occasionally entire team entries for sale.

mtbr member
    If you're in Edmonton there's the fat tire Tuesday race series.
    There are also one off events like the Grizzly marathon race in Canmore, or the Organ Grinder.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Rundle's Revenge is a good one in Canmore.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks for the recommendations, I am in Calgary so I wil check out dirty thursdays. Do you guys suggest joining a club or riding as independent?

mtbr member
    Joining a club probably gets you a deal on parts and service at your FLBS, club rides and events, an organisation to help give back by volunteering at races and trail maintenance days, new friends to train with, and a support group at races. You have to find the right group of people for you, but it probably makes things a lot more fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    If you're in Calgary, last year Transrockies ran a weeknight series at COP. Hopefully it goes again this year, it's a nice casual intro to racing with no licensing requirements.

Dirty Thursdays Race Series - WinSport, Canada Olympic Park

For 24HoA, there are frequently teams looking for members, and occasionally entire team entries for sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by naydo View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations, I am in Calgary so I wil check out dirty thursdays. Do you guys suggest joining a club or riding as independent?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kavtor View Post
    Joining a club probably gets you a deal on parts and service at your FLBS, club rides and events, an organisation to help give back by volunteering at races and trail maintenance days, new friends to train with, and a support group at races. You have to find the right group of people for you, but it probably makes things a lot more fun.
    I'm also going to check out the dirty thursday races this year. I've looked around Calgary and it doesn't seem like there are that many clubs, other than a few elite clubs and a couple of the bike shops have group rides. Zip for ss too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    This is my pet peeve as well. I consider Aug-Sept to be prime MTB season, but there's 1 XC and 9 CX races in that time frame. Good thing I like CX too, but I'd still trade about half of those Sept races for XC if I could.

What racing in Alberta looks like in June:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM1.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	147.2 KB 
ID:	960527
    I remember that race fondly. It was super fun even if i couldn't feel my fingers and toes.

mtbr member
    Looks like Dirty Thursdays are being dropped in favour of Hump Day Wednesdays at the Canmore Nordic Centre. Wonder what sort of turnout they are expecting from Calgary folks, Mtb races start at 7pm...