2010 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer- Mtbr.com
    Double-metric mtb man

2010 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer

Hey all,

Just thought I should start a thread for anyone who may be considering the 2010 Alberta Ride to Conquer Cancer. A little spot to discuss the ride, possible training and fundraising...stuff like that.

I'll also put in the occasional plug for the team I've started
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Double-metric mtb man
    Looks like there are a lot of people looking, but no one is saying anything. Ok....I'll open it up to both western Canada RCC rides (Alberta and BC...and Sask, if they get one this year).

I'll let you know as an update, the Cancer Crusaders have expanded to a team of two. If anyone else wants to join us, feel free We've got a nice, fun theme happening and I've already got a thought for some custom jerseys if we get enough folks to make it worthwhile:

If there are any company reps on here that would like to sponsor the team, I'm sure we can find some space in all that white for a company logo or two

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I'm very interested to ride this year, along with a couple of buddies. Not sure if we can raise the $2500 though, it's hard as a uni student since we're all poor and starving (and everyone else we know is in the same boat!)

Double-metric mtb man
    It's a pretty intimidating figure, isn't it. Last year was my first ever fund-raiser / charity ride and I was super freaked by the minimum amount they ask. I was blown away, though, by how quickly I got to it. Even if folks are just throwing $20 toward it (really, how many drinks it that at RATT or the Plant?), it adds up pretty fast.

Also, if you get involved with a team (like the one I started....Cancer Crusaders <- hint, hint, nudge, nudge) then it is that much easier to approach the various establishments that help with good causes. I know a couple local teams last year approached some of the local tap houses and were able to entice a lot of folks to go for a BEvERage in support of the team.

Besides, faculty are easy to put a soft touch on And the clubs coordinator is generally pretty good at letting you register a group so that you can set up a table in SUB

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mike, if you have a team do the individual targets of $2500 get pooled? So a team of 10 need to raise $25000?

I was thinking of asking my work place to sponsor us... and I'm guessing they should! United Cycle tends to like to get involved in stuff like that!

Thanks for the idea with the table in SUB!

My buddies and I are looking to making a team if United will sponsor us (e.g. we have to wear their jerseys... does RCC provide a jersey?) otherwise we might well join your team

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    How do you deal with learning that a loved one has cancer? My mother is at risk for thyroid cancer. Though I've heard it's not necessarily a deadly cancer, the surgery to remove the nodule to lessen her pain has a death rate of 1/2. Her nodule has calcification, but we're waiting to hear whether it's malignant or benign. How can I brace myself for the news if she has cancer? How do you possibly deal with learning that your mother will either die or be in pain for the rest of her life?
    Last edited by charlottex; 09-29-2009 at 12:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Charlottex, I'm truly very sorry to hear of that about your mother.

The only thing you can do is really to stay by her side and be with her through each step of the diagnosis and treatment. There is no real way of dealing with, or preparing for the news should it be malignant unfortunately... I know how it feels as I was feeling the same way you are when a colon tumor was discovered in my mother...

Find someone to talk to, just speak your heart and find support in your friends and family... do that in order to be just that person to your mother in her time of need.

http://www.cancer.ca/canada-wide/sup...spx?sc_lang=en - Talk to someone, send a message to their peer support staff if it helps at all...

Double-metric mtb man
    Quote Originally Posted by JCYC5
    Mike, if you have a team do the individual targets of $2500 get pooled? So a team of 10 need to raise $25000?

I was thinking of asking my work place to sponsor us... and I'm guessing they should! United Cycle tends to like to get involved in stuff like that!

Thanks for the idea with the table in SUB!

My buddies and I are looking to making a team if United will sponsor us (e.g. we have to wear their jerseys... does RCC provide a jersey?) otherwise we might well join your team
    Hey JCY,

Each rider needs to raise the $2500...but with a team, if you get a team donation or do group fundraising, you can allocate it to who needs it.

The team I started is "Cancer Crusaders" great team and we're hoping to get the custom jerseys posted above done. My goal with the team, besides wanting them to look good, is to get everyone to the $2,500 mark so everyone rides... last year I pulled in over $6k in memory of a friend, but this year my focus is the team and getting everyone I can in, active, supported while they train and ride....the whole team thing.

The RCC provides a jersey as part of the registration fees. Last year it was a pretty slick looking yellow and black affair. We're hoping to fully embrace the "crusaders" bit so if we can sell a little advertising space and grow the team to make it less costly to do....we're gonna sure try

Sounds great and hopefully you will be able to get UC on board...if you work there, they may do it...but us blokes on the outside are out of luck there (asked last year).

Anyway, if you don't get a UC team, Cancer Crusaders would love to have you

Double-metric mtb man
    Quote Originally Posted by charlottex
    How do you deal with learning that a loved one has cancer? My mother is at risk for thyroid cancer. Though I've heard it's not necessarily a deadly cancer, the surgery to remove the nodule to lessen her pain has a death rate of 1/2. Her nodule has calcification, but we're waiting to hear whether it's malignant or benign. How can I brace myself for the news if she has cancer? How do you possibly deal with learning that your mother will either die or be in pain for the rest of her life?
    Charlottex, I'm sorry to hear about the dark cloud you're facing. The person I rode in memory of last year had colon cancer and it hit him pretty hard and fast. It's not easy to deal with and even harder when it is family.

For now, cancer may or may not be an issue...it may be benign. The pain management may be the bigger thing at the moment. You'll need to take things day by day and let it develop as it does. For now, I'd suggest finding folks you can talk to about it. There are others on the Western Canada forum who have dealt with the loss of family....see if they will talk. It makes it a bit easier if you (and your mom) have some good support to help you through, regardless of the outcome.

I'll be thinking of you and praying for you mom.

mtbr member
    Hey Psycho Mike! Thanks for encouraging experience that raising a minimum $2500 is not that difficult.
    I have registered for Ontario RtCC 2010. My team is Pedal Power and Propulsion (corp plug). My fundraising concept is to ask my donors to give me a name of a loved one affected by cancer, either survivor or not - i will put their names on the jersey.
    I however not sure how difficult it is to make a garment with such complex pattern.

Can you or others on this thread recommend custom jersey maker (i've checked MtBorah, Garneau and CustomCyclingGear)?
    El Chupacabra doesn't believe in you either!

Double-metric mtb man
    There are a lot of custom jersey makers out there. Depending on how many you need, you may also want to look at: Voler or AK Apparel.

The only hitch is that the custom folks usually want the designs in an .ai (Adobe illustrator) or .eps (encapsulated post script) format....a vector drawing so it can be scaled without losing clarity. If you've never worked with those programs, there is a pretty good learning curve (I'm using AutoCad and then exporting for the more complex stuff....I'm not a graphic artist and am lost with AI).

Double-metric mtb man
    How's the grand opening going, JCYC5?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Not working tonight, need some time to see the girlfriend!

But Gagner came in last night, was a blast... they were also giving out some decent prizes!

Come by tomorrow and say hello! I think they're drawing for some nice Giro, Sugoi and Camelbak goody packs!

Double-metric mtb man
    I'll see what I can do in the early afternoon. If you see someone in an ALS labs hat and Thurber jacket, come on over and say "hi."

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Or come over to Skates and look for Jeff

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Nice meeting you today Mike!

It seems like I'll be joining your team! Should be very sweet indeed

I guess we'll be able to do some fund raising at the U, I've got some ideas such as selling livestrong wrist bands, asking UC to provide some goodies (autographed photos, etc etc) for a draw... maybe bookstore voucher

Double-metric mtb man
    Cool, Jeff. Glad to have you on the team.

I'll get you the template for the "business cards" in the near future (gotta remember which computer has the file). If UC is interested, you can show them the plan for the jersey....if they'd like to sponsor, we can find some space for their logo on the back

Anyway....we've got a good gang starting to come together....something tells me that this is going to be a heck of a fun event

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    i've registered

How'd you get the neat little redirect link for your personal page, Mike?

Double-metric mtb man
    Welcome to the team, Jeff.

If you log in, you can "update urls" from your participant centre.

Also, there is a link to the Ride's forum...most of the team is on there and it's a great way to chat and plan for fund raising events. Plus you can pick up on local training rides and events

Double-metric mtb man
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Chupacabra
    Hey Psycho Mike! Thanks for encouraging experience that raising a minimum $2500 is not that difficult.
    I have registered for Ontario RtCC 2010. My team is Pedal Power and Propulsion (corp plug). My fundraising concept is to ask my donors to give me a name of a loved one affected by cancer, either survivor or not - i will put their names on the jersey.
    I however not sure how difficult it is to make a garment with such complex pattern.

Can you or others on this thread recommend custom jersey maker (i've checked MtBorah, Garneau and CustomCyclingGear)?
    I saw a jersey where permanent pen had been used (and some careful penmanship) on the yellow portions of the Ride jerseys. It may be another option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mike

I'm going to see if I can take a demo road bike out from United for the event (quite likely I suppose!), but if I can't do that... what should I do with my MTB to optimize it for the road?

I have a 08 Specialized Hardrock Disk...
    Support my quest to Cure Cancer... http://www.conquercancer.ca/goto/jeffcheng_2010

Double-metric mtb man
    Jeff,

There are a few good things you can do to help optimize a mtb for a long road ride....I should know (the note betneath my name refers to a 205 km road ride I did on my FS mtb).

First and foremost, get a good set of slicks...the thinnest and highest pressure your rims will take. I personally like the Ritchie Tom Slicks 26x1.4 because they will do 90 psi and give the same general footprint as a 35 mm road slick (touring tire). Sure, not as nice as a 700c x 23, but a lot better than any knobby will give you.

Second, set the bike up for cross country work i.e. higher seat for more efficient pedalling...you're not going to be getting behind the seat or sucking it up for jumps so you can get the seat up for the long haul. With you working in the shop, maybe the guys on "the next level" can help fit you up for optimum pedalling.

Third, take off the extra weight you won't use. I'm thinking of things like lights, bear bells (some of us use so we don't have to manually ring on the trails all the time) and such. Give the bike a bath so you don't carry an extra couple pounds of mud along for the trip too.

Next, stiffen up the suspension. Front forks (and rear shocks) can be stiffened up so that you gain some efficiency (but having some suspension is still nice....there are rumble strips on the route).

After that, it is just a matter of doing a tune up and making sure the maintenance is done...old, dirty chains and things that haven't been greased in a while all nickel and dime you for energy over the long haul...get 'em all cleaned and lubed and it gives you a little more to complete the long distance.

Of course, getting out and riding a bunch of longer rides is important too (preferably on the bike you'll ride in the event).

Double-metric mtb man
    Woohoo...another member for the team

Double-metric mtb man
    Hehehe...the teaser jersey is underway I'll post pics when I get it.

Double-metric mtb man
    Well, it was quite the ride... 220 km (including over 5550 vertical of climbing). The run from Nanton to Chain Lakes Provincial Park was brutal...35 km long with 28 of it being uphill.

I'll be back for next year

Members who have read this thread: 0