2 weeks in the Vancouver area- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

New question here. 2 weeks in the Vancouver area

Hi All,
    my girlfriend and I will spend two weeks in the greater Vancouver area in the middle of June. We would like to spend some time around Whislter but also want to see some places on Vancouver island. We thought about Comox valley, Nanaimo and Squamish. Our riding style is mostly All Mountain. Can anyone recommend kind of a route along with some idea how long to stay at which place?

Thank you

mtbr member
    Even if you never ride the chairs, Whistler is a week of amazing riding. However, as an islander, I am best suited to give you advice on the rock.

The Comox Valley is great. There are good maps available at bike shops and online. There are maps here http://www.cvmtb.com/ and at local shops. One of the my favorite AM rides in the Valley is Twister up to Bear Bait to Comox Lake. It follows the river and there are great swimming spots too. The local shops can guide you there, as it is not on the main maps. I like Grub, Stub, and Pity the Fool in Cumberland. I also like Rudy's and Tomato Creek near Comox Lake. That barely scratches the surface.

Hornby Island is also worth a visit for great riding and some beach time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the answer. So the idea would be to arrive in Vancouver and rent a car. Then drive to Comox and stay there for a few days. Which other places on the island are worth spending some time? Regarding swimming, how warm will the water be mid June?

mtbr member
    The water temperature depends largely on the weather. The Puntledge river is heated by the sun as if flows over the flat rock for a few km. The lower the flow, the warmer the water. With this years huge snow pack, the river levels will be high so it won't warm as much as usual. But mid-day it could still be nice. The ocean can also be nice as the tide comes in over the hot sand, even in June. Nanaimo and Duncan, Victoria and Sooke also have great riding.

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Snowdon Forest in Campbell River is a good Island destination. Rumour has it that the local builders have been busy there and many of the trails have been upgraded recently.

Another vote for Hornby. Not quite AM but great riding nonetheless. Funky island vibe.

A caution about ferry crossings to and from Vancouver Island. If you are travelling on the weekend, be prepared for multiple sailing waits or consider making reservations. Travel Monday AM to Frday AM should be OK. Also, the ferries are not cheap. You may also have to pay extra if you have a bike rack on the roof of your vehicle = overheight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the hint with the ferries. I read in another thread about it. We will definitely reserve to be o the safe side. I think we will take a small SUV, so no worries about additional height. How long will it take us from Vancouver airport to the ferry and then to Comox?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hi, if you want to explore consider a BC Ferries sail pass www.bcferries.com/travel_planning/SailPass.html
    We based our selves on the Island but used this to get to Whistler. You can only use it on one return route at a time however there are three routes to and from the Vancouver area. Two to Nanaimo and one to Swartz Bay and some further north. Cost effective if you do more than two crossings. As mentioned book the ferries in advance. I think it costs $8.00 but well worth it.
    There were recent articles in the UK cycling press that recommended riding in the Forbidden Plateau and Hornby Island.
    Mt Tzouhalem near Duncan reasonable trails but great views of the Gulf Islands.
    Also ask around there are great trails being built by the locals.
    The Island is a great place to visit.
    Skye

dog's best friend
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobi1976
    Thanks for the hint with the ferries. I read in another thread about it. We will definitely reserve to be o the safe side. I think we will take a small SUV, so no worries about additional height. How long will it take us from Vancouver airport to the ferry and then to Comox?
    From the airport in Richmond you have two options. You could cross a bridge to Vancouver, drive accross Vancouver, cross another bridge, drive thru North Van and West Van on the Upper Levels highway to Horseshoe Bay and tke the 1.5 hour ferry ride to Nanaimo which itself is one hour drive north to Comox Valley. Dive from Richmond to Horseshoe Bay, 1.25 to 1.75 hours depending on traffic, time of day, weekday or weekend. You will get to see a lot of Vancouver on this option.

Your second option is to drive south on Hwy 99 ( not far from airport, 3 or 4 miles) through Massey Tunnel and take exit shortly thereafter for ferry in Tsawassen. Half hour to 45 minute drive. 2 hour ferry ride to Duke Point, south of Nanaimo and 1.5 hour drive north to Comox..

Members who have read this thread: 0