'06 IMBA Summit Help...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004

'06 IMBA Summit Help...

I'm planning on going to the Whistler IMBA Summit in June and have a few questions. I'd like to bring my 15 year old son along and I'm wondering if there is enough 'local' riding in Whistler to keep him busy (and safe) while I'm attending the Summit.
    I'm looking for specific recommendations regarding-

Bike rental in Whistler--looking for 1 or 2 hardtails for Mon thru Friday in Whistler. Could possibly rent bikes in Vancouver.

Trails- besides the Whistler Resort trails, other close XC trails.

Hotel/ condo-- looking for room for 4, walking distance form Summit with pool, fitness room, wireless internet, kitchen.

Thanks--

Marty (Hey,Beerman!) Weigel
    Metro Mountain Bikers
    Your Milwaukee WORBA Chapter

May 2004
    Marty,

IMBA and the Summit folks will be posting more information soon that answers almost all of your questions. I've seen a rough draft so the final info should be up soon. From what i remember, there are TONS of trails for ALL levels of riders there.

They are working on easy/discount bike rentral for attendees. Also lodging deals.

keep an eye on:
    http://www.worldmountainbikeconference.com/

james
    Last edited by imbawebguy; 03-10-2006 at 12:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Don't Worry,

There are more than enough trails to keep anyone happy here. Besides the bike park (go to whistlerblackcomb.com) there are a ton of crosscountry trails here of varying ability. Although the IMBA website says 35 km of singletrack and 80km of double track, a recent inventory has come up with numbers of 160km singletrack and 120km doubletrack (and this is all within about 10 miles from the Village center). Go to whistlermountainbike.com for some descriptions and maps. If you want to travel a half hour north (Pemberton) or 3/4 hour south (Squamish - suamishmountainbike.com) there are about 2 to 3 times that many trails again (not to mention the North Shore (1.5 hours south).

There are guided rides for all abilities on Mondays through Wild Willies bike shop and our "Loonie" races on thursdays which are more social event than race wher up to 350 locals might show up (go to Worca.com)

Bike rental - there are probably 10-20 shops in Whistler that rent bikes - everything from full rigid for people who have never been on a bike before, to 9 inch travel, 50 lb, downhill rigs for the bike park.

Hotels/Condos - my best advice is to go online and look for the best value in/near the village - there are thousands of units available within 1/2 mile of the village core (its a pedestrian oriented village, so once here you won't even need a car)

Hope this helps

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have to agree with the fellow who posted above. There are trails for every level of ability all around Whistler. Our Monday night Wild Willie ride are alot of fun as well as the Loonie races.
    Your son will totally enjoy all sorts of different trails around Whistler while you attend the conference. Heck you may even up ditching seminars to go ride some of the trails he'll be telling you about.
    And thats without touching the bikepark!
    And if you need someone to guide him t some great trails some of locals will be all over the trails all times of every day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    you can check www.whistlermountainbike.com as that shows just some of the trail writeups.

As for accomdations there are literally hundreds of places to stay and most are all within walking or biking distance. Our buses here are also equiped with bike carriers.

Once here there is really no need for a car..... and yes BEER flows abundantly

Members who have read this thread: 0