ZTR Race 7000 series AC Wheelset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

ZTR Race 7000 series AC Wheelset

Does anyone have any experience with these wheels? Any good or bad info would help me to decide if I should buy or not. thanks,

Formerly of Kent
    If you do a search, you'll probably find dozens, if not hundreds of threads/posts on these wheels.

By and large, they seem to be pretty popular amongst the racer and weight weenie crowds. Those aren't necessarily one and the same, by the way.

Twin Six METAL
    I just purchased a set, when they come in I'll post actual weights and my observations. So far from what I've heard, just about every set has come in UNDER claimed weight of 1210 g. Most in the 1205 area. I know some racers who have been on them for a while now with no problems whatsoever, that was part of the selling point for me. Super light and super reliable!
    SpeedWorks Coaching Services
    http://www.speedworkscoaching.com

mtbr member
    second season as race wheels - work great. no better rim for converting to tubeless. awesome.

mtbr member
    I'd also be interested in hearing how heavy you guys are on these wheels and what sort of riding they get used for... I'm about 12 stone or 76kg. I'd like to understand the durability in relation to your weight/riding styles. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by markw1970
    I'd also be interested in hearing how heavy you guys are on these wheels and what sort of riding they get used for... I'm about 12 stone or 76kg. I'd like to understand the durability in relation to your weight/riding styles. Thanks
    The weight limit is 170 lbs (77KG), but I know plenty of 180lb guys running this wheelset with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckyride
    Does anyone have any experience with these wheels? Any good or bad info would help me to decide if I should buy or not. thanks,
    Best Race wheelset I have ever ridden. They are super light, at under 1210g, and are really easy to set up tubeless with a non tubeless tire. Since all of the guys on my shops race team run them, I was able to weigh about 10 wheelsets, and none of them came in at over 1208g. NoTubes.com is really good at getting the target weight right on the nose. I have never heard anything bad about them.

Another perk to the ZTR Race's is the fact that at the end of the season, for $100 a wheel, you can send it back to Stan and get new spokes, and a new rim.
    Last edited by amillmtb; 05-29-2009 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Grammar

Twin Six METAL
    What's the turn around on getting the rim and spokes replaced at the end of the season? Will they do the replacement without the rim being damaged?

Twin Six METAL
    Oh, and I'm about 155 lbs and 5'7".

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've been riding and racing on a set for almost a year. I've had to true up a small wobble in the rear wheel about two months of riding but haven't had any other issue. I bought the Park spoke tension gauge to make sure spoke tension stays in range.
    I weigh 150 and race cat1/expert. I don't take any extra precaution when riding them, i.e. they see all the rocks, roots, and drops that my heavy XT/mavic wheelset does. I've run Knobby Nic 2.25s, Michelin XCR Muds, and Conti Race King SS at 20-25 psi. Only had them burp once during a fall.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    thanks for the replys I ordered some today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sworkspilot
    What's the turn around on getting the rim and spokes replaced at the end of the season? Will they do the replacement without the rim being damaged?
    I think the two sets that we sent out in November came back in about week or two. I assume that the process was maybe expedited because we called NoTubes and talked to them and told them that we were sending wheels in so they didnt just show up unexpected. We got them back with a new rim, spokes, and nipples. I think its almost too good to be true, $100 gets you a new 284 gram rim and spokes? I have to give Stan a lot of credit for that, its insane how good the rebuild it is.

Dont worry about your weight, you are way under the limit. I was borrowing a lefty set last year for a race and slipped up on a corner and sent the rim into a rock and thought for sure that the rear wheel was way out of true. Not the case, it was actually just as true as when I left for the lap. I could compare my experience with the ones that people have with Mavic Crossmax SLR's, super strength. I am 5'10'' 145lbs, so I too am way under the limit.

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004
    Not to burst the bubble, but I have a few comments about the ZTR race set that aren't simply singing the praises. Yes, they are an excellent race wheelset and super super light, but the AC hubs those wheels are built around are not the best ever. They build up nice, but the hub internals are crap. Freehub is a pain and the bearings develop play easily. Also, the ZTR Race are not the stiffest wheels due to the wire-thin spokes and low (but even) tension. They are definitely not as stiff as a wheelset built around the Olympic rim with bladed spokes, but even at 330g, Olympics are heavier and dent more easily. I feel like the weight limit is more of a warning to prevent poor handling due to flex more than a worry about durability. The ZTR race do seem to stay true due to the quality wheel build, and it's hard to beat the weight, so for a race-only set they seem to hold up ok.
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member
    That's great feedback everyone - It's great to hear your weights and stories of how you're using the wheels. Being (I had to do a conversion) around 170lb, I was concerned these weren't going to be durable... (and because it sounds like I'm 10-20lb heavy than some - I just wanted to say I'd measured my body fat recently at 11%, so my bum isn't wobbly!)... Thanks again guys.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtailforever
    Not to burst the bubble, but I have a few comments about the ZTR race set that aren't simply singing the praises. Yes, they are an excellent race wheelset and super super light, but the AC hubs those wheels are built around are not the best ever. They build up nice, but the hub internals are crap. Freehub is a pain and the bearings develop play easily. Also, the ZTR Race are not the stiffest wheels due to the wire-thin spokes and low (but even) tension. They are definitely not as stiff as a wheelset built around the Olympic rim with bladed spokes, but even at 330g, Olympics are heavier and dent more easily. I feel like the weight limit is more of a warning to prevent poor handling due to flex more than a worry about durability. The ZTR race do seem to stay true due to the quality wheel build, and it's hard to beat the weight, so for a race-only set they seem to hold up ok.
    there is nothing wrong with the AC hubs, compared to MAVIC sl hubs, they are AWESOME. 5 or 6 years back AC hubs had issues, but those issues were addressed. mine are great, very smooth and no need for much service.

keep the intended purpose in mind. you are talking about a 1210 gram wheelset, the goal is not to be the STIFFEST, they are intended to be REALLY light for RACE performance and they achieve that very well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbikemad
    there is nothing wrong with the AC hubs, compared to MAVIC sl hubs, they are AWESOME. 5 or 6 years back AC hubs had issues, but those issues were addressed. mine are great, very smooth and no need for much service.

keep the intended purpose in mind. you are talking about a 1210 gram wheelset, the goal is not to be the STIFFEST, they are intended to be REALLY light for RACE performance and they achieve that very well.
    Exactly.

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just picked up a set for my wife's bike, and like everyone else, they came in under the claimed weight - 550g/650g for 1200g even, with yellow tape and valve installed. Other members of our team were picking them up and just shaking their heads because they are SO light. She hasn't ridden them yet, though.

As for the AC hubs, we also have a set of AC wheels (which used to seem light at ~1340g!) and those hubs have been utterly bombproof. Many miles, many races on them.

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004
    I agree completely, as race wheels they're damn sweet. And the price is hard to beat as well.

I'm just saying that I'll take the extra 60g of my DT190/Sapim/Olympic wheelset for significantly better handling, durability, and stiffness.
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtailforever
    I'm just saying that I'll take the extra 60g of my DT190/Sapim/Olympic wheelset for significantly better handling, durability, and stiffness.
    That's debatable. The Race rim is ~10% wider than the Olympic Rim, which in my experience allows lower tire pressure with less side wall squirm. The Olympic rim also carries the same 95kgf tension max as the Race rim, although it's supposed to be less sensitive to uneven tension. According to Stan's anyway the AC hubs allow more even tension of the spokes than DTs, They also aren't big fans of bladed spokes at <95kgf:

"Sapim CX-rays and DT Revolutions are the same weight. If you want light I would use the Revolutions. The Bladed spokes at 95kgf are not as stiff latterly as the round Revolution spoke at 95kgf. " - no_tubes_pete
    http://messageboard.notubes.com/view...10&hilit=sapim

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004
    This is true. However, I exceeded the 95kgf recommended (went to 110) with good results, which I would be very reluctant to do with the Race rim. Hence the stiffer build. I also built mine 32 spoke, 3X.
    A hardtail is forever

Members who have read this thread: 0