Yeti Arc 10.6Kg- Mtbr.com

Thread: Yeti Arc 10.6Kg

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Yeti Arc 10.6Kg

Hi,
    I'm just getting my Yeti built up to race, just weighed it with pedals 10.6Kg,
    My parts
    Fox Rl 80 fork
    Yeti Arc medium frame
    08 Xtr cranks
    08 xtr brakes 160mm xt disks, ti mounting bolts,
    08 xtr shifters
    08 xtr front mech
    08 XT 32-11 cassette
    xtr chain
    cane creeks s2 head set
    xtr spd's
    Thompson elite seat post 410mm in line
    SDG fly c ti saddle
    Race face deus 100mm stem
    Race face deus XC bars
    Race face lock on grips
    Hope pro III hubs with DT swiss XR4.2 rims , dt swiss straight pull spokes
    Dt swiss skewers
    2.0 Hutchinson pythons
    Does the weight seem about right , I have stans no tubes to go on not sure how much weightI will save with that, can I save weight any where
    recommendations very welcome.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yes, that sounds about right. my arc was pretty similar. it's never going to be a weightweenie build with the frame being so heavy, but honestly it doesn't matter. the frame rides so well, i believe i was faster on it than my scale with predominantly identical builds. it was just as comfortable as the full carbon frame as well.

to drop some weight i'd change the rotors, seatpost (if you can live with a shorter one) and grips - a2z 90 grams rotors, a nice light post (kcnc?), ritchey wcs grips will save ~250grams.

is the fork an '08 model or earlier? a new r7 mrd fork would save ~200 grams, more if the fork is '07 or earlier. a 2008 sid will save ~50 grams on an '07 or earlier fox fork.

you can drop a fair bit of weight in the wheels as well, but they're so damn nice i wouldn't bother.

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004

Not much

Not much I would change about that build, sounds like a rad bike. I love the ARC. I would definitely go to the Stans system- not a ton of weight savings, but the performance gain and puncture resistance is phenomenal. Keep your grips; lock-ons are worth the weight in my opinion. A very few things you could change for some savings without sacrificing performance:

Ligher fork (big bucks, but the new 08 R7 is sweet)

Cassette (XTR=big bucks, but it's light)

Chain (KMC X9sl is really light, and shifts just as well as XTR chain; KMC makes lots of shimano chains)

Seatpost (Thomson masterpiece or a light carbon post would save a chunk of weight, and you could cut them down unless you really need all that post. I'd be surprized, though, since if that was the case you probably should be riding a bigger frame and/or longer cranks)
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Is that frame really all that heavy? They claim that its 4.7lbs. Does that include the rear shock or not? If it does, that is a relatively light frameset.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks guys for the advise, Blown Civic the Arc is a hardtail so no rear shock to worry about , I weighed the frame and on my scales it was hovering between 1.6 and 1.7 Kg with the seat post clamp fitted.
    I can cut my seat post down, I didn't realise how long it was going to be I could loose 3" off still leaving more than 4 in the frame, do you just take a hack saw to it ??
    I will try and fit my Stans this week end.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Sorry,

Confused the ARC with the ASR.

Members who have read this thread: 0