Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?

I am building a lightweight xc bike (2016 scott spark 700 premium in size small) with mostly off the shelf parts (no $$$ boutique, or questionable ebay parts).

Through my searches and experiences, i have found a few go to parts for my bikes, including:

- seatpost: deda superlaggera rs seatpost - 176g (150$ crc, canadian prices)
    - bars: kore 710mm carbon flat bar - 160g (150$ crc)
    - stem: wren stems (40-90mm) ~ 70-90g (have yet to use but plan to order) (50usd)
    - grips: esi racers edge -50g (20$) ritchey superlogic foam grips at 9g are tempting, but they are hard to get...
    - i am currently on a xtr groupset kick for pricing (derailer and shifter, and xtr race brakes do the trick as i can usually get them at less than 200$ each.
    - the e13 trs race casette with 511% range (9-46) and 303g!!! (I just got one on sale for 290!!!).
    - looking to get a fox 32 sc 100mm fork (3lbs, for 0.5 lbs weight savings!!!)

i tend to put this stuff on most of my bikes as appropriate. Where I struggle is saddles. I want something in the mid 140ís width. I currently have a specialized romin evo sworks on order (~140g, but 300$!!). Anything lighter is usually super narrow, super expensive, or questionable ebay/china.

Thoughts on saddles and some of your personal go to parts would be appreceated.
    Last edited by Gliding_serpent; 02-04-2018 at 07:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gliding_serpent View Post
    I am building a lightweight xc bike (2016 scott spark 700 premium in size small) with mostly off the shelf parts (no $$$ boutique, or questionable ebay parts).

Through my searches and experiences, i have found a few go to parts for my bikes, including:

- seatpost: deda superlaggera rs seatpost - 176g (150$ crc, canadian prices)
    - bars: kore 710mm carbon flat bar - 160g (150$ crc)
    - stem: wren stems (40-90mm) ~ 70-90g (have yet to use but plan to order) (150$)
    - grips: esi racers edge -50g (20$) ritchey superlogic foam grips at 9g are tempting, but they are hard to get...
    - i am currently on a xtr groupset kick for pricing (derailer and shifter, and xtr race brakes do the trick as i can usually get them at less than 200$ each.
    - the e13 trs race casette with 511% range (9-46) and 285g!!! (I just got one on sale for 290!!!).

i tend to put this stuff on most of my bikes as appropriate. Where I struggle is saddles. I want something in the mid 140ís width. I currently have a specialized romin evo sworks on order (~140g, but 300$!!). Anything lighter is usually super narrow, super expensive, or questionable ebay/china.

Anvl Stealth. 150g. I have an extra if you want to try it. $90

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Anvl Stealth. 150g. I have an extra if you want to try it. $90

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Tempting, but i am looking for something in the 140-150mm wide range. That seems to be my problem.

Formerly of Kent
    Mt. Zoom makes a good 720mm or 760mm flat handlebar. ~$130. Lighter than the Kore bar.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Tempting, but i am looking for something in the 140-150mm wide range. That seems to be my problem.
    The Shimano PRO either Falcon or Griffon carbon models come in 142 width. My Falcon measured 156g and is the most comfortable saddle I've had. Thin padding, flexy shell is just right for me. Nashbar has them cheap to try out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Mt Zoom would be considerably lighter and cheaper. This is a 720mm 15mm riser.
    Extralite foam grips are great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-img_9325_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Thanks so far folks!

I think the mt zoom bars will be on order soon. Sounds like they may have a bit of flex, but at 135lbs, should be fine for me.

The pro saddles liik interesting also, but their reported weights seem high. Good news is that they have lots of sizing options. Good to see.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've been using my MT Zoom 720mm riser bar for 2 years now and love them. You can flex them a bit by hand but you wont notice it while riding. Btw, I'm 148lb.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    ...Where I struggle is saddles. I want something in the mid 140ís width. I currently have a specialized romin evo sworks on order (~140g, but 300$!!). Anything lighter is usually super narrow, super expensive, or questionable ebay/china.

Been hunting around for the same for the last few weeks. Lightweight and flexy. Only one come up so far, being the super expensive MCFK at 140mm.

I do know that an approx 140mm fits best, as I ran a 143mm Toupe on my road bike. Currently using a Kit Carbonio Flow at 132? which has a little flex. I'm around the same weight as you. Does ok on half day rides once i got used to it.

Once again super expensive, but have you looked at Meld?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hmmm... the mcfk is the most promising lightweight saddle to date. Most are sub 140mm wide. The price is still up there however... but saddles can be passed from bike to bike, so are more of investments imho.

on further review... their seatposts are super light, the stems are wren level weights, and the bars are comparable in weight to mt zoom bars... except that the prices are way more!!!

The meld is an interesting concept.

i am happy to have started this thread, simply because there are so many nice producers of components, it is impossible to be aware of them all.

mtbr member
    I've been using an eBay carbon saddle for the past couple years and have been pretty happy with it. I think I paid somewhere around $40 for it. It's in the shape of the 143mm Toupe. The good thing is that they they don't cost that much...and if you don't like it...you're not losing much. I have it paired with a Syntace HiFlex post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-img_20160905_133324.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I found an eBay one that said around 140mm, but the fine print said 130ís. But i might be overthinking the width. Actually, just checked and i only need 135-137!!

my buddy got a 20$ carbon ebay seatpost. It broke after 30 seconds... but only his pride was hurt for trying. Haha.

mtbr member
    This is what I got. There are several vendors selling the same saddle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Carbon-Fibe...YAAOSw~AVYq77l

The material on the nose of the saddle started lifting after about a year. I just used some Shoe Goo and that fixed it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I raise you a Camtoa!!! Best seat brand name ever.

https://m.ebay.ca/itm/Ultralight-Ful....c100408.m2460

Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post

The material on the nose of the saddle started lifting after about a year. I just used some Shoe Goo and that fixed it.

mtbr member
    The Camtoa has no padding...

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I'll take the weight penalty on the saddle. I am 100% converted to the WTB devo ti, which comes in at about 195g but it's 140mm+ wide so it doesn't feel like sitting on a 2x4 like some of the super light ones. It's discontinued but still fairly easy to get on ebay for cheap. Picked up my last 2 of them for under $40.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I actually just ordered an unpadded version in matte 3k. Kind of by error... but for 30$... i will report back any repoorts of carbon fibre shards that go up my a$$

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    I've used a version identical to the Camtoa in the past. It was fine, except in that particular case there was very little flex, so I flipped it to my road bike. That said, it is worth the test at that price point, and it held up fine on trails.

I'm always reluctant to recommend saddles as something I like may not work for you - even if within your cited dimensions. FWIW, I've been running an MCFK carbon saddle for several seasons (74g), and the nice difference from the eBay above was a nice amount of flex (in addition to it properly fitting my sit bones). It doesn't meet your non-boutique criteria though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

I've considered those. How's the comfort ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    This looks interesting:-
    Circus Monkey X Absorb System 112g Full Carbon Fiber Saddle

Waiting to hear back how wide it is.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    I've considered those. How's the comfort ?
    It works pretty well for me. My longest ride with the saddle was about 3 hours and no real complaints from my sit bones or taint. If your rear end likes flatter saddles...it might work for you. If you sit really upright on the bike...the hard surface might get uncomfortable.

Specialized
    ----

Specialized
    I read that quickly as 'cameltoe'

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    SWorks Power saddle. Use on the road bike and love it, gave it a whirl on the MTB and best thing I've ever done. Almost feels like it works better as a MTB saddle than road saddle
    2018 Epic

Procaliber- sold
    ASR-C- sold
    ARC Carbon- sold
    SB-95C- play bike- sold

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Kalloy Uno stems are as light as wren stems and less than half the price. $22 stem.

I have a 60mm stem with steel bolts and it weighs ~85g. With Ti bolts, it would be in the 75g range very easily.

It plays nice with my answer pro taper carbon bar and it's seen plenty of aggressive trails with all 195lbs of me leaning on it with no problems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    For handlebar, PRC HB3 720mm 9į is my choice. I have two of them, measured 134 for the team colored edition (Merida Team green) and 122 g for the grey one. Note that, comes with 5-year warranty! Here is my measurement:
    Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-large_prc_flat_hb3_122g.jpg

I like PRC parts. My SP2 seatpost is 187g (30.9x400mm), which is relatively heavy (compared to Tune, Mcfk and others) but comes at ~90 EUR only. PRC 17į 90mm stem with Ti-bolts is 101g.
    I know, their steim is a 'Kalloy Uno' with a PRC sticker (more than twice of the price of Unos...) but at least I get 5-year warranty, which counts, at least to me.
    My best performing saddle is not really a true weight-weenine stuff with it's 133 grams but I like it: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow

Hope this helps.
    ___
    2016 Canyon Grand Canyon CF SL 8.9 tuned (fully-rigid, 1x11)
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/2373507

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I think what impresses me the most is the cottage industry of specialized lightweight parts. Good stuff so far. Mount zoom get my buy for bars. But i think wren for the stem, and deda for the seatpost. Still waiting on that ebay seat. Should have a $$$ romin evo s works seat in the new year... see if it is worth the extra $$$

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Well, my ďcamel toeĒ generic chinese carbon seat arrived today. Everyone thinks it looks like a specialized toupe without the cover.

I donít have a digital scale to measure itís weight (yet) but the big bike hanging scale says my bike is now 283g lighter. Lots of error i am sure. Not sure the weight of the original saddle i had on (cro mo specialized phenom?).

I tightened the saddle to 5nm. It it pretty comfortable, and there is noticable flex when i push on it with my hand, or sit on it, but nothing scary. Comparing it to a syncros xr1.5 (ti rails, carbon infused plastic saddle), the saddle itself is a bit more flex resistant, but the Carbon rails seem to flex more, allowing the saddle to rock a touch more front to back when you sit/press on it. But the differences are not huge. I need a ride on it to fully judge however.

The build is not bad. There are Some waves in the carbon fibre pattern, and the odd blemish here and there... but nothing major.

Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-6399f9f0-8020-401f-a9f0-417d1fae4b51.jpg

Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-81103582-ed35-45c9-9eba-a96668736b7d.jpg

Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-fb885357-9eab-4697-8614-53c973101150.jpg

My gut feeling is that it will be better suited for my cx bike, and my s works romin may go on my xc bike. It will be interesting to compare stiffness between 40$ and 300$ Carbon seats.

the romin arrives in january.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-2b9ca706-ad22-4719-9957-9b0d81cf181d.jpg

Not bad, not bad at all. Lets see how those carbon rails hold up...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'd would be great if one were able to see a vid of you pushing down the saddle in a couple of places to see the flex.

What is the measured width of the saddle?

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    It is pretty close to the stated 140mm wide. Actually, spot on at 140mm/5.5 inches. So it is a proper light carbon saddle that is not the typical ass hatchet (thinking about you $$$ella italia c59).

The saddle Flexes no more than reputable saddles (syncros), but push on the back (lean on it hard, not a finger push), and the nose does rock up a bit. Nothing major, but it is there. It is not Flimzy however. Not sure i would trust it if i was a fatty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    ^ thanks for that.

Now I'm looking forward to a ride report

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    That's definitely a Chinese Open Mold product which I use as well (this one branded TOSEEK)

* a few test rides so far indicated this thing will hold up well. Not flexy enough for my taste probably because I am just 57kg as of now
    ..if it's heavy, drill it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by semmiho View Post
    For handlebar, PRC HB3 720mm 9į is my choice. I have two of them, measured 134 for the team colored edition (Merida Team green) and 122 g for the grey one. Note that, comes with 5-year warranty! Here is my measurement:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	large_PRC_Flat_HB3_122g.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	1171943

I like PRC parts. My SP2 seatpost is 187g (30.9x400mm), which is relatively heavy (compared to Tune, Mcfk and others) but comes at ~90 EUR only. PRC 17į 90mm stem with Ti-bolts is 101g.
    I know, their steim is a 'Kalloy Uno' with a PRC sticker (more than twice of the price of Unos...) but at least I get 5-year warranty, which counts, at least to me.
    My best performing saddle is not really a true weight-weenine stuff with it's 133 grams but I like it: Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow

Hope this helps.
    The Procraft PRC stem is a rebranded UNO stem with titanium bolts. You can get an UNO stem and some titanium bolts on eBay for 1/3 of the price of the Procraft PRC stem.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UNO-7-Light...e/201947948223

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwandy View Post
    That's definitely a Chinese Open Mold product which I use as well (this one branded TOSEEK)

* a few test rides so far indicated this thing will hold up well. Not flexy enough for my taste probably because I am just 57kg as of now
    I have one of those Toseek with a bit of padding. Which is why I was hoping that GS`s one might have some more flex.

The Toseek at my weight is like a bath tile!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Interesting that the concerns is that it may be too stiff. Makes me more reassured, as i would rather too stiff bs too Flexy. I will throw it on my fatty tomorrow for a winter ride and give feedback in what it is like in a high padding scenario.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Flex is your friend with a carbon saddle, within reason.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    truth. kalloy is a large mfg of components and has been doing so for quite some time.

i suggested an uno stem earlier. some people veer away from them because its not a name brand that brings street cred. the 60mm uno stem is 5 grams away from the wren stem and like you said, costs 60% less.

if that stem can handle my 195lb chunky ass bombing down trails you can barely walk down, pretty sure its not gonna break.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    What torque spec to you use to clamp your saddle?

Quote Originally Posted by tangerineowl View Post
    I have one of those Toseek with a bit of padding. Which is why I was hoping that GS`s one might have some more flex.

The Toseek at my weight is like a bath tile!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    What torque spec to you use to clamp your saddle?
    I removed it from my roadbike about two months back due to the ride being too firm at my weight. It was my first carbon-railed saddle, so I torqued it up slowly with paste.

Can't remember the final setting, I'm afraid. But I do know it was between 6.5-7 nm.

mtbr member
    I have a Bontrager Affinity carbon saddle (from a few years back before they were women specific) with a width of 138 that I love. I needed a second one for my SS and found the GUB 1159 for $40. I have about 750 miles or so on it and it's been excellent. Definitely my go to saddle now.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-...311.0.0.hcQ8gw

Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-fullsizerender.jpg

Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-fullsizerender_2.jpg

mtbr member
    As I'm looking on AliExpress now, i see that some of the GUB 1159's are listed with a width of 145. Mine was listed as 138 and that's what it measures in at.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Interesting that the concerns is that it may be too stiff. Makes me more reassured, as i would rather too stiff bs too Flexy. I will throw it on my fatty tomorrow for a winter ride and give feedback in what it is like in a high padding scenario.

Well, especially true for open mold components, they are built to cater for wide range of riders - which means supportable weight usually goes between 65 to 120kg - which in turn will not bode very well for lighter riders 50=60kg ish
    ..if it's heavy, drill it

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Hoping mine is not an ass hatchet... but padded shorts are fine, and on mountain biking i am off the saddle more anyway.

To be honest, my issue is that most main brand saddles that are super light, are also super narrow. My s works romin evo is one of the exceptions... but cheap it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwandy View Post
    Well, especially true for open mold components, they are built to cater for wide range of riders - which means supportable weight usually goes between 65 to 120kg - which in turn will not bode very well for lighter riders 50=60kg ish

Barely in control
    I've had some trouble with light carbon offset seatposts on my hardtail. I like a 25mm offset. Hylix and FSA Kforce both cracked after a short period of use, which was odd because I only weigh 170lbs geared up.

Currently on a Syncros FL 1.0 and it seems to be holding up. It ended up being 180 grams after cutting.

For you guys talking about flex in the carbon saddles - Merek used to sell a carbon saddle that had the rear rail attachment on a carbon leaf. This allowed the sides to flex a lot. I have one on my cx bike; works pretty well. Shown in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37XbwaADksk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Cool... my ebay carbon saddle is waaaay less flexy than that.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    I've had some trouble with light carbon offset seatposts on my hardtail. I like a 25mm offset. Hylix and FSA Kforce both cracked after a short period of use, which was odd because I only weigh 170lbs geared up.

Currently on a Syncros FL 1.0 and it seems to be holding up. It ended up being 180 grams after cutting.

For you guys talking about flex in the carbon saddles - Merek used to sell a carbon saddle that had the rear rail attachment on a carbon leaf. This allowed the sides to flex a lot. I have one on my cx bike; works pretty well. Shown in this video.

Thx for the video - certainly an interesting support system there.

BTW, I wonder why would they use a crappy, rusted bolt for what seems to be a promotional video?

taste death, live life.
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Thx for the video - certainly an interesting support system there.

BTW, I wonder why would they use a crappy, rusted bolt for what seems to be a promotional video?
    Or jean shorts!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post

Looks like Merek is dead. See post #20 above, for what looks like the same saddle, currently available.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    has anyone seen these all carbon saddles in super small sizes? like for 7 year old kids? I love the UNI saddles I've been using for my son, but he needs more seatpost than the UNI provides.

Live Free & Ride
    Good info on WW cockpits here! Planning on putting an '18' C-Dale Bad Boy 2 on a carbon diet this spring with hopes of a sub 20 pound urban rocket! Rims, bars, saddle and post will be the 1st things to go. Mt Zoom stuff looks great!
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Good info on WW cockpits here! Planning on putting an '18' C-Dale Bad Boy 2 on a carbon diet this spring with hopes of a sub 20 pound urban rocket! Rims, bars, saddle and post will be the 1st things to go. Mt Zoom stuff looks great!
    It may not be as easy as you suspect unfortunately, and likely not worth the cash outlay. Sorry to be a downer.

I was unfamiliar with the BB2 - nice to see a Lefty on it - but according to REI, the BB1 with a lighter Gates drive system is still 25 lbs:
    https://www.rei.com/product/108600/c...bad-boy-1-bike

That means the BB2 is at least that weight. Given that you already have a light fork, light tires, a 1X drivetrain, indeed the main targets for weight loss would be the wheelset, bar, saddle, and post. I'd ballpark a 2 lb loss for a significant spend in cash. That's still a 23 lb bike (or more) that you've spent a lot more money on.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Those Bad Boys are interesting bikes. Is this the '18 model? BAD BOY 2 Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, eBikes - Cannondale Bicycles

If so, that could be a good starter platform. Those Alfine hubs on the BB1 are crazy heavy like 1700g. The Metrea derailleur on the BB2 are fine at 280g, cassette might be heavy so could look at replacing that. SI crank with Spidering should be light. Frame/fork should be light one would think as high end aluminum. Of course, I have an old aluminum dirt jumper style frame that is close to 5lbs so you never know. Those alu bars and post with integrated rechargeable LED lights are probably pretty porky with their batteries, etc.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Quote Originally Posted by rumblytumbly View Post
    Those Bad Boys are interesting bikes. Is this the '18 model? BAD BOY 2 Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, eBikes - Cannondale Bicycles

If so, that could be a good starter platform. Those Alfine hubs on the BB1 are crazy heavy like 1700g. The Metrea derailleur on the BB2 are fine at 280g, cassette might be heavy so could look at replacing that. SI crank with Spidering should be light. Frame/fork should be light one would think as high end aluminum. Of course, I have an old aluminum dirt jumper style frame that is close to 5lbs so you never know. Those alu bars and post with integrated rechargeable LED lights are probably pretty porky with their batteries, etc.
    Interesting. Like most of us, I'm not familiar with the Gates drive, but my "research" prior to responding seemed to show it was lighter. Certainly the belt is much lighter than the chain, but had no idea on the hub.

You make a good point re the frame - I suspect that's where the weight will be, and ALU often makes it hard to drop the weight. Also, great point re the integrated LEDs as surely there are batteries involved, although it seems a shame to get rid of them for an urban bike; it's a great idea actually.

Live Free & Ride

Yeah thats the one I have my eye on. Guessing its around 24 lbs stock and it has some meaty parts for sure. I know for a fact that the wheelset alone is 2100 grams. The C1 alum frame should be light, along with the alum light pipe lefty. Still debating if its a worthy build base to upgrade from. I like the geometry and looks, so may be a project soon!
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yeah, would guess 24 and change. The only reason I know about the Alfine weight is I built up an urban hipster bike for my daughter a few years ago and when UPS came with the wheel box I thought it had cement bags in it. THEN I researched the weight, doh. Very aesthetically pleasing without a cassette, but dang.
    Lightbicycle Flyweight or Carbonfan flyweight rims relaced with light spokes, could lose a pound there. Another half pound to pound with all carbon cockpit and saddle. XD cassette to shave some off. Then it's death by a thousand cuts to maybe get there, maybe not. Cool concept of a bike regardless, especially being designed around the Lefty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Follow up: I bought this saddle. The comfort was fine. Not much cushion there, but the width of the saddle is substantial. Comfortable enough for me to be satisfied. The only real issue with this saddle for me was the design of the rear of the saddle. The rear quadrants have an angular point that catches my baggies when I move off an on the rear of the saddle. This happened to me maybe 2-3 times on approx. 1.5hr ride. It's something I would have to be conscious of on a real techy ride. One other minor complaint is that the saddle is 'creaky'. Makes some noise during flex. I did like the feel of this saddle, and love the weight. Just not sure if I would use it regularly due to snagging the shorts.

Formerly of Kent
    Just picked up a J&L Shimano (e-thru type) bolt on axle for my Yeti.

27g according to my scale. Not too shabby. $20, free shipping on eBay. Replaces the Ibis Hexle I was using, which seemed way too short. Like, at least one, maybe two whole threads short.

I also picked up a light bolt/cap piece that hasn't arrived yet. Also got some gold Ti bolts to add a bit of color.
    Last edited by Le Duke; 01-22-2018 at 09:53 PM.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Here's what I bought for my build, no experience on these yet:

Saddle
    116g $30 padded carbon saddle from Aliexpress.

Seatpost
    Superlogic 190g $20 seatpost from Aliexpress.

Grips
    $30 11g Extralite hypergrips from the Extralite web shop.

Handlebar
    $72 116g KCNC Bone 600mm 25.4mm from eBay

Formerly of Kent
    Death from Below.

mtbr member

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    I can't vouch for those, though.

I've been riding the ones I posted for a month+ now. To include a trip to Moab. I bought 5 sets in various colors. A bit thicker and squishier than ESI. Pleased with my purchase so far.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I can't vouch for those, though.
    Haha no I wouldn't buy them either Look like cheap junk. I've had a lot of good luck with silicone grips like the ones you linked to and cheap foam ones. Something about my Extralite Hypergrips though makes me really happy -- probably because there's nothing lighter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Haha no I wouldn't buy them either Look like cheap junk. I've had a lot of good luck with silicone grips like the ones you linked to and cheap foam ones. Something about my Extralite Hypergrips though makes me really happy -- probably because there's nothing lighter.
    I ordered the ritchey superlogic foam grips. 9g. 😜

mtbr member
    I ordered the ritchey superlogic foam grips. 9g. 
    Wait, 9g per grip or per pair? Does that include bar end caps? Any pics of them on a scale with the bar end caps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    Follow up: I bought this saddle. The comfort was fine. Not much cushion there, but the width of the saddle is substantial. Comfortable enough for me to be satisfied. The only real issue with this saddle for me was the design of the rear of the saddle. The rear quadrants have an angular point that catches my baggies when I move off an on the rear of the saddle. This happened to me maybe 2-3 times on approx. 1.5hr ride. It's something I would have to be conscious of on a real techy ride. One other minor complaint is that the saddle is 'creaky'. Makes some noise during flex. I did like the feel of this saddle, and love the weight. Just not sure if I would use it regularly due to snagging the shorts.
    I also bought that saddle, but haven't gotten trail time yet. I also bought another saddle on AliExpress which I like much better, and I don't think it would have the issues you describe, in addition to it weighing just 4 grams more and being a whole lot more padded (actual compressible gel in there).

Here's the more-padded saddle weight (134g):
    Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-img_0065.jpg

Here's the less-padded saddle weight (131g):
    Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-img_0063.jpg

Here's a close-up showing the padding in the more-padded saddle:
    Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-img_0066.jpg

Here's a close-up showing the lack of padding in the less-padded saddle:
    Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-img_0067.jpg

For 3g difference, I would hands down choose the more-padded saddle.

Here's where I bought mine:
    More padded saddle on Aliexpress

Less padded saddle on Aliexpress

By the way, the more padded saddle is the same as the GUB saddle that others have mentioned in this thread, but for cheaper (and without the GUB logo). Also, various posts on AliExpress and eBay are advertising the less-padded saddle at 110g-123g, and that simply isn't true.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Wait, 9g per grip or per pair? Does that include bar end caps? Any pics of them on a scale with the bar end caps?
    https://ritcheylogic.com/superlogic-grip

You know you canít resist them!!!

mtbr member
    https://ritcheylogic.com/superlogic-grip

You know you canít resist them!!!
    Yeah ok, so 9g for a pair of grips. Extralites are 8g for a pair of grips, same price. I know, big difference

But the extralite bar caps are 4g. I'd be curious how the Ritchey bar caps compare. Sorry, I need to justify not spending another $25.

https://www.extralite.com/Products/hypergrips.htm

mtbr member
    That's a great price for that saddle.

Also ordered one of the J&L E thru's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yeah ok, so 9g for a pair of grips. Extralites are 8g for a pair of grips, same price. I know, big difference

But the extralite bar caps are 4g. I'd be curious how the Ritchey bar caps compare. Sorry, I need to justify not spending another $25.

impressive. Iíll weigh the ritchey stuff when i get it. The esi bar ends are 3g each, and ones that came with my mt zoom bars are 2.5g each. So 2g is not do bad. They are a bugger to remove, so i may cut out the middle plastic crush loop for savings, and easier removal.

I must say that all the extralite stuff is super light... but also getting $$$. They were like some of the boutique german brands... very light, but you pay for it.

mtbr member
    I must say that all the extralite stuff is super light... but also getting $$$. They were like some of the boutique german brands... very light, but you pay for it.
    Too true, the only thing they sell that's actually affordable are the hypergrips, and maaaybe some headset stuff. Everything else is just whoa.

Then there's the durability questions too, since they don't have great customer service for warranty, as I hear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    This is mine, 14 grams with bar ends, ~9g without them.

Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-large_ritchey_superlogic-14g.jpg
    ___
    2016 Canyon Grand Canyon CF SL 8.9 tuned (fully-rigid, 1x11)
    https://www.strava.com/athletes/2373507

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Name:	large_Ritchey_Superlogic-14g.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	1180663
    Ok thanks! That's a really good weight. Definitely worth the buy since Extralite shipping is super slow and I had to pay currency exchange fees. But I won't be buying them

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks so far folks!

I think the mt zoom bars will be on order soon. Sounds like they may have a bit of flex, but at 135lbs, should be fine for me.

The pro saddles liik interesting also, but their reported weights seem high. Good news is that they have lots of sizing options. Good to see.
    I have the 720mm flat bar and there is no flex. Friend had a 3t bar and I wouldn't even ride it it was so flexible. Heavier then the mt zoom as well. Mine was about 160CAD shipped and didn't get a duty charge.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    just bought a woodman carbo dx seatpost. 31.6x350 = 156g. less than $1/g.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Seatpost 31.6 x 400 from China (152 g)
    Saddle Selle Italia SLR Titanium (140 g)
    Bar Pro Tharsis flat 700 mm (133 g)

Reasonable value for the money

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    This version is also a claimed 10g, but each set i got was a bit heavier.

Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-d49ba2f9-cbbb-4191-af33-5c8690726687.jpg

Name:	large_Ritchey_Superlogic-14g.JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	158.0 KB 
ID:	1180663

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

the ritchey bar ends are light (but fragile i am sure). I modified them to make them lighter... and easier to get out.

Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-e4583024-4d26-4be2-b872-efb592bd4ada.jpg

Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-cb4e069d-f986-43a2-b6b5-181519e8a4f9.jpg

Formerly of Kent
    You guys with the GUB saddles:

Have any of you used them with a clamp that applies pressure from the sides? Their website seems to suggest that they are not recommended for use on seatposts that feature that kind of mounting mechanism.

Any comments?
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    The rails are probably oval. My Cervelo post clamps from the side. I had to get new clamps to run a saddle with oval carbon rails. Seems like most (if not all) saddles with carbon rails are oval.

mtbr member
    You guys with the GUB saddles:

Have any of you used them with a clamp that applies pressure from the sides? Their website seems to suggest that they are not recommended for use on seatposts that feature that kind of mounting mechanism.

Any comments?
    The rails are probably oval. My Cervelo post clamps from the side. I had to get new clamps to run a saddle with oval carbon rails. Seems like most (if not all) saddles with carbon rails are oval.
    I have the GUB 1159 and the rails are 7x9 oval so you will need the appropriate clamp. However, I have only used it with the standard top/bottom clamps so I can't help with that part. I have been super happy with it though and I'll be ordering another soon as the saddle on my plus bike is about done.

Formerly of Kent
    Yeah, I have a set of oval rail clamps, so I'll be good to go there. I was just wondering why they don't just say, "Use a 7x9mm clamp." instead of prohibiting certain clamp designs.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I have a set of oval rail clamps, so I'll be good to go there. I was just wondering why they don't just say, "Use a 7x9mm clamp." instead of prohibiting certain clamp designs.
    Or at least include a picture of the right clamps with the red check mark. It appears that their warning pictures only shows the round rail clamps and those have the red X.

mtbr member
    I'm not clear on why you guys are buying GUB saddles when GUB is just an import/export company slapping their logo on an open mold product and raising the price by $10.

I have the same saddle as GUB and have never had any issues mounting it to my open mold carbon seatposts.

mtbr member
    I'm not clear on why you guys are buying GUB saddles when GUB is just an import/export company slapping their logo on an open mold product and raising the price by $10.

I have the same saddle as GUB and have never had any issues mounting it to my open mold carbon seatposts.
    The reason I haven't purchased the unbranded model is that I can't find it for sale anywhere.

Do you have any links to the 138mm wide model 1159? I need to order one and the best price I'm finding is between $36 and $40 usd shipped.

Formerly of Kent

Care to provide a link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Care to provide a link?

This saddle is $29.19 on AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MTB-...766321631.html

I generally buy from Aliexpress when ordering Chinese stuff, not eBay, always cheaper bc of lower platform fees and Chinese sellers are more responsive than on eBay because they get auto-translate capabilities in messaging and they have more established stores.

Notice that eBay sellers are actually buying from this Aliexpress supplier and then re-selling on eBay (maybe even drop-shipping), as the Aliexpress supplier doesn't seem to be selling on eBay yet. In that case you might get faster shipping from eBay, but hey, saving $20 is sweet any day.

mtbr member
    Awesome...they are all cheaper on Aliexpress.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link. The Bootleg Romin looks promising with the 138mm width. Not sure if I can deal with the white logos for a $15 savings though. $40 is still relatively affordable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The problem I've had with the knockoff saddles is with the rear rail attachment points. Usually they are just glued with a blob to the seat pretty much right underneath where your sitbones are. This allows for no flex in the saddle and is bad design. The real ones whether Specialized, Pro, Selle Italia, etc. typically have a bridge/truss type of attachement molded into the saddle that the rails go into which allows it to be supported from the outer rearmost perimeter allowing for some flex of the shell since there's nothing directly under the sitbones area. At least that's been my observation. Anyone know of a knockoff supplier doing something closer to the originals?

mtbr member
    The problem I've had with the knockoff saddles is with the rear rail attachment points. Usually they are just glued with a blob to the seat pretty much right underneath where your sitbones are. This allows for no flex in the saddle and is bad design. The real ones whether Specialized, Pro, Selle Italia, etc. typically have a bridge/truss type of attachement molded into the saddle that the rails go into which allows it to be supported from the outer rearmost perimeter allowing for some flex of the shell since there's nothing directly under the sitbones area. At least that's been my observation. Anyone know of a knockoff supplier doing something closer to the originals?
    Valid point, I've also had this issue with some raw carbon knock-offs I've ridden. But the saddle I linked to on AliExpress has been unbelievable for me. I got a few friends to ride it too and none of us are looking back.

The saddle I linked to has carbon rails secured with resin to molded carbon sockets on either end much like high-end Fizik or Selle Italia saddles. It also has good flex on the sitbones because of the protruding leaf-like design, rather than being rigid and unforgiving. Together with the padding it makes it very comfortable for XC and even endurance in my case. I would post a video but I'm not good at aiming at my butt in action.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I've had the GUB 1158 for a year. It's the "more padded" saddle above. Mine weighs 155g. Very durable, though the padding is mostly illusory: it's like sitting on a plank of wood.

What I like best about it is the flat front. The other common 110g unpadded Selle Italia knockoff is more comfortable on my road bike, but the idea of getting speared on that pointy tip off-road is very unpalatable.

Buying again for the MTB, I'd probably choose the 1159.

Barely in control
    This saddle is $29.19 on AliExpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MTB-...766321631.html

I generally buy from Aliexpress when ordering Chinese stuff, not eBay, always cheaper bc of lower platform fees and Chinese sellers are more responsive than on eBay because they get auto-translate capabilities in messaging and they have more established stores.

Notice that eBay sellers are actually buying from this Aliexpress supplier and then re-selling on eBay (maybe even drop-shipping), as the Aliexpress supplier doesn't seem to be selling on eBay yet. In that case you might get faster shipping from eBay, but hey, saving $20 is sweet any day.
    Thanks, got one. If I like it I'll rep you. If I don't like it....

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Mine was 25$ on ebay. Maybe up to 40$ with shipping. And that was canadian. Pretty good pricing

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Did anyone have experience with Elita One seatposts?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281...814024528.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I am going to add to this post another promicing choice for bars and seatpost. Darimo Carbon. Hand made Italian (edit... actually spain). Lots of custom options.

700mm bars are about 87g. Stiffer than schmolke (spelling?) and other bars that are 50g heavier. The reviewers ran a 700mm bar for a full xc race season, and a 740mm bar in endeuro. No problems apparently.
    https://www.velochannel.com/test-lon...e-darimo-33801

And here is the seatpost. 31.6x350 is around 85g also! Also quite stiff apparently.
    https://www.velochannel.com/test-de-...t1-a-87g-33831

Pop the text in google translate and boom!

I plan to order the set and shave 130-135g off of my mt zoom bar/deda superlaggera seatpost combo.

most carbon bars are in the 190g range. This paring is like getting the weight savings of a bar swap... and then getting a weightless seatpost.
    Last edited by Gliding_serpent; 03-07-2018 at 05:00 AM.

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    I am going to add to this post another promicing choice for bars and seatpost. Darimo Carbon. Hand made italian. Lots of custom options.

700mm bars are about 87g. Stiffer than schmolke (spelling?) and bars 50g heavier. The reviewers ran a 700mm bar for a full xc race season, and a 740mm bar in endeuro. No problems apparently.
    https://www.velochannel.com/test-lon...e-darimo-33801

Always interested to learn about other brands, but you have me a bit confused from the start of your post.

The article says that Darimo is a Spanish brand, based in Valencia. Not sure how we get to "hand made italian".

Next is the piece around stiffness, esp relative to Schmolke. There's no side-by-side tests in that specific article, so maybe you saw that elsewhere? I'd be curious to check that out.

Also stiffness [cough] isn't necessarily a key selling point, especially on the seatpost side.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Always interested to learn about other brands, but you have me a bit confused from the start of your post.

The article says that Darimo is a Spanish brand, based in Valencia. Not sure how we get to "hand made italian".

Next is the piece around stiffness, esp relative to Schmolke. There's no side-by-side tests in that specific article, so maybe you saw that elsewhere? I'd be curious to check that out.

Also stiffness [cough] isn't necessarily a key selling point, especially on the seatpost side.
    Spain it is. It was late. Call it fake news. ;-)

I forget which of the two makes the comparison to the german brands, but i think it was the seatpost article. Reading between the lines, both have flex, just less so than schlmoke (spelling?). One article may have compared to mcfk for stiffness, but i could very well be crossing my lines, and working with loose facts. None are back to back conparisons... but that is a pretty rare thing anyway.

Given these will be going on a dual suspension bike, some stiffness is not a bad thing for me. But with both in the 85g region, i think it is a safe bet that there will be some flex. I am going to give them a try and report back.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Mine arrived today: 26 grams without bar plugs is great at that price.
    Comparison: my ritchey ergo foam grips (not Superlogic) are 20 grams pair no plugs. Cost was about $8.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast