Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 156 of 156
  1. #101
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9,776
    Anyone want to try their luck on a carbon FlatForce lookalike?

    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123088602740


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  2. #102
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    Stem is a bad part to gamble with.

  3. #103
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9,776
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Stem is a bad part to gamble with.
    Yeah. I don't want to be the test mule for that particular component.

    If the new Syncros Fraser iC weren't coming in a heinous yellow, I'd just bite the bullet on that for a nice bar/stem combo. Unfortunately, it seems that every -25 degree stem out there weighs a ton.
    Death from Below.

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    25

    Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?

    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Yeah. I don't want to be the test mule for that particular component.

    If the new Syncros Fraser iC weren't coming in a heinous yellow, I'd just bite the bullet on that for a nice bar/stem combo. Unfortunately, it seems that every -25 degree stem out there weighs a ton.
    Believe I read somewhere that the yellow was only for the limited special edition version (SL SE?). There may be other versions of that combo that come in black.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  5. #105
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9,776
    Quote Originally Posted by pamoreira View Post
    Believe I read somewhere that the yellow was only for the limited special edition version (SL SE?). There may be other versions of that combo that come in black.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It's hard to tell, but it looks like the grip portion of the bar has a decent amount of backsweep. Looks like more than a standard 9 degree backsweep to me. Which would actually appeal to me. I like where my hands are in relation to the steerer or saddle with my current set up, but wish I had more back sweep, as it pertains to the actual angle my hands rest at naturally. If that's the case the Fraser could be a nice solution.
    Death from Below.

  6. #106
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    293
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Anyone want to try their luck on a carbon FlatForce lookalike?

    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F123088602740


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    a 90mm kalloy uno stem is ~30g lighter and made from 7000 series aluminum to boot. plus it only costs like $25-$30 on ebay.

  7. #107
    Formerly of Kent
    Reputation: Le Duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    9,776
    Quote Originally Posted by xblitzkriegx View Post
    a 90mm kalloy uno stem is ~30g lighter and made from 7000 series aluminum to boot. plus it only costs like $25-$30 on ebay.
    Do they make one in comparable geometry?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    293
    closest they have is 90mm -17 degree. its 100g with steel bolts. subtract around 10g for Ti bolts. price is still $25.

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gks333's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    67
    Wren stem, Tioga under cover carbon saddle, next 725mm riser bar, grips...what actualy feels good. Tried esi chunky grips and other foam grips but they are a PIA to install/remove and feel like shit...I'll live withe the 70g penalty. KS lev integra 125mm dropper, will go KS LEV Ci next time.
    2015 Pivot Mach 4. XX1, Guide ultimate, NOX wheels, Next SL, KS LEV integra dropper. 24.63lbs

  10. #110
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    318
    Mt. Zoom carbon handlebar (9 degree sweep), Ritchey WCS foam grips, Syntace Flatforce stem (because bike fit), Syntace P6 Hiflex post and Ergon SMR-3 Pro Carbon saddle (because comfort).

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I've been using an eBay carbon saddle for the past couple years and have been pretty happy with it. I think I paid somewhere around $40 for it. It's in the shape of the 143mm Toupe. The good thing is that they they don't cost that much...and if you don't like it...you're not losing much. I have it paired with a Syntace HiFlex post.
    Pretty bike. What frame is that?

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RacerLex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    I also bought that saddle, but haven't gotten trail time yet. I also bought another saddle on AliExpress which I like much better, and I don't think it would have the issues you describe, in addition to it weighing just 4 grams more and being a whole lot more padded (actual compressible gel in there).

    For 3g difference, I would hands down choose the more-padded saddle.

    Here's where I bought mine:
    More padded saddle on Aliexpress
    Thanks for sharing this!!! I bought the padded carbon saddle for my commuter and it's very forgiving and fits me well. Can't vouch for the longevity but the initial quality and value are superb!

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    225
    Any saddles that has similar/same dimension as a Selle Italia SLR ?

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelzqc View Post
    Any saddles that has similar/same dimension as a Selle Italia SLR ?
    San Marco Aspide Carbon FX Open (Narrow).

  15. #115
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,717
    Bought two BXT brand aliexpress carbon 720mm bars for $18 each. They work fine.

  16. #116
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Bought two BXT brand aliexpress carbon 720mm bars for $18 each. They work fine.
    I've gambled on random carbon for saddles, and might even do a seatpost, but I wouldn't touch that source for stems and bars. Could be same or better than a known brand, or a catastrophic failure.

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,740
    I've been tempted to try the BXT bars as well; I swapped my kids (tall kid) mtb frame to a BXT carbon frame, I can't find anything wrong with it, and my shop guy looked it over and thought it was quite good. Based on that I bought a pair of the BXT seatposts (217g claimed) off ebay for $19ish, both for my kids road and mtbs, he's light but I've ridden both those bikes too and they've been good/cheap/light 2 bolt posts. They're both 31.6, I would have been less brave trying a 27.2. I think the Chinese carbon bits are quite a bit better than a few years ago. But... still scared to try cheaper cockpit parts, decent stuff is not all that much more; Uno stems seem quite good, my $80 eXotic bars from discobrakes are still great.
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

  18. #118
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    ...my shop guy looked it over and thought it was quite good...
    You probably can't tell by looking, that's the problem.

  19. #119
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,717
    Yeah, there's an element of risk. I did a test on the bars - I set up some wood blocks a few inches high, laid the bars on them, and stood on the center. There were no noises, and the bars were stiff enough for my satisfaction.

    Wrapping carbon in a tube shape is pretty basic. It's one of the simpler parts you can make from carbon on a bike.

  20. #120
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Yeah, there's an element of risk. I did a test on the bars - I set up some wood blocks a few inches high, laid the bars on them, and stood on the center. There were no noises, and the bars were stiff enough for my satisfaction.

    Wrapping carbon in a tube shape is pretty basic. It's one of the simpler parts you can make from carbon on a bike.
    You probably just did more QC than the manufacturer.

    Hope that test didn't introduce any micro-fractures. (Geez, I'm soooo pessimistic, sorry!)

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,740
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    You probably just did more QC than the manufacturer.

    Hope that test didn't introduce any micro-fractures. (Geez, I'm soooo pessimistic, sorry!)
    - you do sound kind of like a chinese carbon hater I've broken more aluminum than carbon... would the BXT bars be better than the 15 year old Synchros on my trainer/shed bike? -probably. I broke some OEM Cannondale bars on a descent in about '90, they developed a stress crack right at the edge of the stem clamp, that crash happened in the best possible spot so I didn't get hurt, - old 1" bars. Schulze; good point about bars being not super complicated, did you get flat or riser?
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

  22. #122
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    - you do sound kind of like a chinese carbon hater I've broken more aluminum than carbon... would the BXT bars be better than the 15 year old Synchros on my trainer/shed bike? -probably. I broke some OEM Cannondale bars on a descent in about '90, they developed a stress crack right at the edge of the stem clamp, that crash happened in the best possible spot so I didn't get hurt, - old 1" bars. Schulze; good point about bars being not super complicated, did you get flat or riser?
    Actually not a hater. I've got an eBay carbon saddle that I use on and off. It's just that you don't know what has gone into the design or manufacture. There's no guarantee from OEM either, and user error (not that you did, but over-torquing can fatigue a quality part) can cause a failure.

    It's just that if we're all gambling to a certain extent, I'd like to at least think I've got a decent chance.

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,481
    I've bought 4 of the cheap no name carbon riser bars off ebay now. One of them was bought specifically to do some destructive testing. A buddy and I took the bar into the gym here at work, and we placed it one of the benches and we both put out full body weight on either end of a 640mm bar. No cracking or popping.

    Then we went over to the Smith rack and slid the bar into one of the holes in an upright on the rack. It went in far enough to "simulate" the edge of the stem clamp. It took some serious "bouncing" on the end of the bar before it started to fail and even then the failure was "gradual" as in even after starting to crack it still took several more hard bounces before the carbon started to splinter and completely fail.

    Your mileage may vary and who says the bar construction is consistent from one piece to the other, but it was good enough for me. I have 2 bars in service and another co-worker is using the 4th.

  24. #124
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    Would now be a bad time to discuss my stupid-expensive carbon saddle that just snapped??!! Ha!

    Let me take some pics, and I'll sheepishly post. Doh!

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,740
    /\ I bought a 'Bontrager' 27.2 post off ebay about 5 years ago, I actually raced on it a few times, I took it off because the 1 bolt design allowed it to shift and 'nose up' by a lot towards the end of a race, -no more 1 bolt posts for me. Ironically my Scandium frame broke not long after. The post was stupid light, like under 180g, I gave it to a buddy and it broke during a race.
    carry clippers! cut something off the trail every time you ride.

  26. #126
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,717
    jimPac, I got the flat bars.

    One reason I go for Chinese carbon is that the expensive, name brand carbon seatposts and saddles I've bought have broken pretty fast. I'm just not going to waste any more money on them. I've had better luck with bars but $18 vs $100 is too big to ignore.

  27. #127
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Would now be a bad time to discuss my stupid-expensive carbon saddle that just snapped??!! Ha!

    Let me take some pics, and I'll sheepishly post. Doh!
    Here are the details on my broken, "boutique" saddle. Ironically, I rode an eBay saddle while I awaiting my replacement. Certainly no guarantees with anything:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenie...l#post13795717

  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Here are the details on my broken, "boutique" saddle. Ironically, I rode an eBay saddle while I awaiting my replacement. Certainly no guarantees with anything:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenie...l#post13795717
    I wouldn't want to be sitting on that saddle when it broke. But that's what happens I guess when brands like Tune push the boundaries a bit too much... maybe?

    What eBay saddle do you use? Can you notice any differences

  29. #129
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    I wouldn't want to be sitting on that saddle when it broke. But that's what happens I guess when brands like Tune push the boundaries a bit too much... maybe?

    What eBay saddle do you use? Can you notice any differences
    I wasn't too worried as I had a thick chamois in between, and it barely popped through, but yep, could be waaaay more painful. For the record BTW, it was an MCFK that failed (but again, I'm being fair about it), not the Tune.

    I haven't used the eBay saddle that much. The shape is OK for me, but it is rock-solid, and thus not as comfortable as it could be:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/weight-weenie...-a-826723.html

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    397
    Has anyone tried this seatpost:

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Road...822592827.html

    It's $40 for a 151-gram 31.6x400mm seatpost with titanium mounting hardware, and there are 169 very positive reviews. It must be new, and suddenly hugely popular.

    If you have this seatpost, have you tried it on a saddle with carbon rails? Does it hold the saddle securely? I've had this issue on another seatpost (BXT) with a similar mounting mechanism where it creaks vociferously with every butt thump.

    Seriously, this could be a crazy deal.

  31. #131
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    Has anyone tried this seatpost:

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Road...822592827.html

    It's $40 for a 151-gram 31.6x400mm seatpost with titanium mounting hardware, and there are 169 very positive reviews. It must be new, and suddenly hugely popular.

    If you have this seatpost, have you tried it on a saddle with carbon rails? Does it hold the saddle securely? I've had this issue on another seatpost (BXT) with a similar mounting mechanism where it creaks vociferously with every butt thump.

    Seriously, this could be a crazy deal.
    At least one of the reviews is odd:

    "Me To torn the seat…. Do not recommend by anything… Two outputs and skybox"

    BTW, that was a 5-star review, but doesn't exactly seem positive.

  32. #132
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    At least one of the reviews is odd:

    "Me To torn the seat…. Do not recommend by anything… Two outputs and skybox"

    BTW, that was a 5-star review, but doesn't exactly seem positive.
    LOL! This one is also perplexing:

    "Not used more. And usually stick, which likely crumble…"

    And then there's this guy who thinks it's a 27.0mm diameter instead of 27.2 and that therefore the paint on his bike will be damaged:

    "The finish is terrific But diameter is tá D is calibrated. it a diameter of 27mm when he should make 27, 2. now I have afraid to damage the painting of my bike to close both the brace, as it gets off the bicycle saddle."

    Followed by this guy who says:

    "bigger than usual 27.2"

    Ali translate is pretty hopeless.

  33. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    800
    I have one - at least a very similar version where the only difference is the carbon cradle. this one (edit: the link you posted) is better, since it has an extended support for the saddle rails. I have the 31.6x400mm and the actual weight is quite close to the stated weight - 175g if I remember correctly. (edit: my seatpost has the more usual "half-moon" cradle which does not have any extra support for the seat rails; everything else is the same as the one you linked).

    Installed this in February on my trail/race bike (kona hei hei) and still going strong. defintely a great deal especially with the improved design. Hope it is more helpful than the reviews above :-)
    Last edited by Ausable; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:04 AM.
    flyMTBfish

  34. #134
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
    I have one - at least a very similar version where the only difference is the carbon cradle. this one is better, since it has an extended support for the saddle rails. I have the 31.6x400mm and the actual weight is quite close to the stated weight - 175g if I remember correctly.
    Installed this in February on my trail/race bike (kona hei hei) and still going strong. defintely a great deal especially with the improved design. Hope it is more helpful than the reviews above :-)
    Do you have a link? I'm a strong believer in better saddle rail support. Would definitely go the extra 25 grams for that.

  35. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    154
    I just picked up a Mt Zoom Ultralight 750mm 15mm rise bar that's supposed to be 122g but instead it's 145g when I weighed it. Anyone had this experience on their Mt Zoom bars? 23g difference is no biggie, just wondering...

  36. #136
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Copenhagen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by cornice6 View Post
    I just picked up a Mt Zoom Ultralight 750mm 15mm rise bar that's supposed to be 122g but instead it's 145g when I weighed it. Anyone had this experience on their Mt Zoom bars? 23g difference is no biggie, just wondering...
    Just as a data point, my "Mt. Zoom Ultralight 4 degree 710mm Flat bar" has a spec weight of 119grams and came in at 123grams so that's acceptable to me and within the variation I would expect.
    Last edited by Copenhagen; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:36 AM.

  37. #137
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,557
    [QUOTE=cornice6;13844557]I just picked up a Mt Zoom Ultralight 750mm 15mm rise bar that's supposed to be 122g but instead it's 145g when I weighed it. Anyone had this experience on their Mt Zoom bars? 23g difference is no biggie, just wondering...[/QUOTE

    Strange they are claiming their new 750mm bar that light. I purchased their 720mm riser and they claimed 128 grams and it was spot on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-img_9325_1.jpg  


  38. #138
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    800
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    Do you have a link? I'm a strong believer in better saddle rail support. Would definitely go the extra 25 grams for that.
    I have edited my original post, sorry for the confusion
    flyMTBfish

  39. #139
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by sissypants View Post
    Has anyone tried this seatpost:

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Road...822592827.html

    It's $40 for a 151-gram 31.6x400mm seatpost with titanium mounting hardware, and there are 169 very positive reviews. It must be new, and suddenly hugely popular.
    So I bought this seatpost in 31.6x400mm, it weighs 162 grams, a bit above the advertised weight of 151g in this size. I understand that there is always some variability in the weights of carbon products, but this is a little disappointing. But it's still a dramatic ~55 grams lighter than the BXT carbon seatpost in 31.6x400mm, which is the next lightest budget option.

    The seatpost is constructed very well, though it looks like the mounting clamps are far apart enough that it won't be possible to move the saddle forward or backward since the entire length of the rails will be necessary for mounting.

    I won't have a chance to try it out until I complete my build in a month or two, unfortunately.

  40. #140
    ●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Reputation: phlegm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by cornice6 View Post
    I just picked up a Mt Zoom Ultralight 750mm 15mm rise bar that's supposed to be 122g but instead it's 145g when I weighed it. Anyone had this experience on their Mt Zoom bars? 23g difference is no biggie, just wondering...
    Indeed, they claim 121g:
    https://mtzoom.com/handlebars/mt-zoo...iser-bar-128g/

    Actually the overage is almost 20%, which is a biggie. That's even worse than tires.

  41. #141
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by cornice6 View Post
    I just picked up a Mt Zoom Ultralight 750mm 15mm rise bar that's supposed to be 122g but instead it's 145g when I weighed it. Anyone had this experience on their Mt Zoom bars? 23g difference is no biggie, just wondering...
    Until very recently Mt. Zoom sold a 760mm carbon riser bar that weighed 142g. It was still in their line up a couple of months ago when I last checked, but has since been replaced by the newer lighter model. I wonder if you somehow got one of the last older ones they had in stock.

  42. #142
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Mine arrived today: 26 grams without bar plugs is great at that price.
    Comparison: my ritchey ergo foam grips (not Superlogic) are 20 grams pair no plugs. Cost was about $8.
    Interesting, I've ordered about 5 sets of those so far and had them come in (with bar end caps) between 19g and 24g. Of course, the 19g ones went on the shelf for the next build

    Comparatively, my Extralite Hypergrips weighed 11g with caps, and Ritchey Superlogics weighed 21g. Both of these don't offer as much support or dampening, in my opinion, and they tend to squirm around on the bars. I don't like glueing them to the bars.

  43. #143
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by wayold View Post
    Until very recently Mt. Zoom sold a 760mm carbon riser bar that weighed 142g. It was still in their line up a couple of months ago when I last checked, but has since been replaced by the newer lighter model. I wonder if you somehow got one of the last older ones they had in stock.
    That is indeed correct as I was told when I asked them that I got one of the last older 760mm carbon bars.

  44. #144
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by cornice6 View Post
    That is indeed correct as I was told when I asked them that I got one of the last older 760mm carbon bars.
    I know this is the weight weenie forum, but I'd actually be happier with the older, perhaps a bit more robust model. I have one of the 710mm flat bars at 120g which is a bit scary. That weight in a 760mm riser is just freaky.

  45. #145
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by wayold View Post
    I know this is the weight weenie forum, but I'd actually be happier with the older, perhaps a bit more robust model. I have one of the 710mm flat bars at 120g which is a bit scary. That weight in a 760mm riser is just freaky.

    totally agree and that's why i installed it and been using it. fwiw, i feel a bit secure with the 145g weight.

  46. #146
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    800
    Now that wider, shorter saddles seem to be the new wave, anyone tried this Specialized Power clone

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/EC90...a-88ce4a59cbf6
    flyMTBfish

  47. #147
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sissypants's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    397
    Just got a $30 rigid carbon saddle to try out. It weighs 88g on my scale and looks just like the pictures:

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017...812377039.html

    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ROCK...791496529.html

    I ordered the Rockbros brand, I don't know why, maybe because I've grown sour of BXT customer service recently.

    Not much to say about it other than that it is rock solid and has basically no flex to it. It doesn't creak, doesn't bend, and I'm relying on my chamois pad for all possible comfort.

    Saddle rails are a bit small, there isn't much room for adjustment. It looks like the rails are jointed to the carbon shell with epoxied fittings, although they've been sanded very nicely. I'm impressed, but skeptical about whether this whole raw carbon saddle idea will work for me.

  48. #148
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    769
    Xc bikes - what are your choice light saddles, stems, seatposts, bars, grips?-berk-lupina.jpg

    Berk Lupina, UD matte, 132mm, 7x9mm

  49. #149
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,481
    If we're posting Berk saddles in this thread, what about Gelu? A lot lighter than Berk.

  50. #150
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    141
    I saw recently Gelu came out with a 40gm? saddle. I get the feeling the Gelu saddles are rather firm.

    I've been watching Berk for a while but I'm a bit perplexed why the Lupina is so narrow. I wish it was 136-140mm.

  51. #151
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,063
    Bump.

    Looking for a saddle around 142mm and <200grams that's comfortable for long endurance races. Traditionally WTB rocket saddles suit me well but all their carbon versions are narrow. I've cracked a titanium rail before too so I'm reluctant to spend big for titanium rails, rather carbon. I'm also 85kg/190lb currently so any road specific 70kg weight limit saddle is off the list. I'm currently looking at a Gub MTB saddle that's about 230g, not super light but for the cheap eBay price worth a try.

  52. #152
    Barely in control
    Reputation: Schulze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,717
    If you're breaking Ti then you should avoid carbon. You can get a Shimano Pro Turnix saddle with steel rails for exactly 200g.

  53. #153
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sfer1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    769
    Quote Originally Posted by tangerineowl View Post
    I saw recently Gelu came out with a 40gm? saddle. I get the feeling the Gelu saddles are rather firm.

    I've been watching Berk for a while but I'm a bit perplexed why the Lupina is so narrow. I wish it was 136-140mm.
    The Berk Lupina (132mm) is 1mm wider than the Selle Italia SLR (131mm) and the San Marco Aspide (131mm). Besides, it's also available in 150mm.

    Gelu saddles are narrower (122-126mm) and shorter (240-270mm).

  54. #154
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,063
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    If you're breaking Ti then you should avoid carbon. You can get a Shimano Pro Turnix saddle with steel rails for exactly 200g.
    I have a carbon railed WTB Silverado now but it's too narrow, thus far it's seemed plenty strong for the XC duties it sees though. I had a Ti rail snap on a WTB Rocket on my Enduro right, it was subjected to a fair amount more abuse. I use the Chromo railed Rocket on my enduro bike now, need something wider for the XC bike though.

  55. #155
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,063
    The Pro Turnix does look the goods, I think I'll go with that.

  56. #156
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by sfer1 View Post
    The Berk Lupina (132mm) is 1mm wider than the Selle Italia SLR (131mm) and the San Marco Aspide (131mm). Besides, it's also available in 150mm.

    Gelu saddles are narrower (122-126mm) and shorter (240-270mm).
    Your comment made me check the width of my Selle Italia Kit Carbonio Flow. Its 133mm. Oops! I always thought it was 136mm.

    Guess I'll start saving those pennies now for the Lupina.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. carboncycles bars/stems/seatposts from discobrakes?
    By jimPacNW in forum Components
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-18-2017, 10:59 PM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-06-2016, 08:10 AM
  3. Chromoly Vs Titanium: Seatposts, Handlebars, Stems ?
    By phoenixbikes in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-09-2013, 01:11 AM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 03:29 AM
  5. Saddles... Adamo saddles specifically
    By frank daleview in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-06-2011, 06:34 AM

Members who have read this thread: 333

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.