WW's with egg beaters...question for you all- Mtbr.com
    Low Rep Count

WW's with egg beaters...question for you all

Hey guys, I figured I'd post this here as many of you are running modified egg beaters like me. I noticed the other day that I was getting a squeaking coming from the left side. When I got back from my ride I took a look and saw a nice wear spot on the sole (carbon sole of course) right at the back of the cleat. It is basically a nice little stripe if you will. I took a look at the right shoe and have the same thing but not as bad. Obviously there is a bit of a gap between the sole and the clean so the pedal can fit in there but apparently my pedal is rubbing on the shoe and slowly wearing through it. My fear obviously is that it is going to cause the sole of my shoe to crack.

Anyone else experience this? I've heard all the horror stories about egg beaters but so far mine have been frickn awesome. I've rebuilt them once and relubed them the other day before my ride. I never would have thought they were tear my shoes up.

bike rider
    Just put the plastic guard that comes with Egg Beaters under your cleat. If you threw them out you can get more at a local shop.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

Let's fly!
    They also sell some aluminum sole savers. The plastic ones are fine, but they wear out after a while. The aluminum ones have lasted for years on my shoes.
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

Low Rep Count
    I'll check my boxes at home. I don't remember throwing anything out so I'm hoping they are still in there. Worst case is I'll cut up a damn Coke can or something. Thanks guys!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    holy crap those aluminum ones scared the hell out of me ... totally lost the feel of click in/click out. it was like being on ice.

but yes, they protect your shoe!

final thought: ideally your shoe rests not on the wings but on the spindle area on either side ( at least that was my impression from CB docs ) This is tricky to get perfect, but you almost want to build up the shoe around the cleat area so that your weight is not all on the wings. ( again, that's my impression...maybe i'm wrong )

Let's fly!
    Quote Originally Posted by slcpunk View Post
    holy crap those aluminum ones scared the hell out of me ... totally lost the feel of click in/click out. it was like being on ice.

)
    I haven't had any issues with them. I think the soda can idea is pretty smart!
    '13 Spec Epic 29er, '09 Orbea CX, '12 Cannondale SuperSix, '08 Spec Transition, '06 Simtra Trials (sold), Yamaha YZ450 (sold)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: WW's with egg beaters...question for you all

Quote Originally Posted by MultiRider View Post
    They also sell some aluminum sole savers. The plastic ones are fine, but they wear out after a while. The aluminum ones have lasted for years on my shoes.
    The shoe shields are stainless steel, not AL, and are specifically made to prevent wear to the shoe.
    The plastic shims are just the size of the cleat, and adjust the engagement/tread contact.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common