WW front derailleur options.........Part Deux!!- Mtbr.com
    Faller - Expert Class

WW front derailleur options.........Part Deux!!

Hey everyone!

First, thanks to everyones' suggestions for weight-weenie front derailleur options for my Kona. I ended up going with the XTR FD-M952 with the help of Scooterman!

Second, now that I've acquired a Salsa Bandito frameset and will be building that up, I'm faced with a couple more questions.

First thing is, I've noticed that the cabling will be routed down the downtube. So, I can therefore go with a bottom pull front derailleur, which I'm not too familiar with what's available for my options. Any suggestions for weight-weenie bottom pull derailleurs?

Second, I'm not 100% clear on the "braze-on" front derailleurs available. Do they use one or more of the bottle cage bolts on the seat tube?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks again!

2006 Kona Leroi

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

Faller - Expert Class

34.9 clamp size...

Thought I'd add that, since I forgot to in my first post!
    2006 Kona Leroi

well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

need more bikes!
    hey psinsyd,

where did you come by an xtr 952 derailleur for a 34.9 clamp size? I've been looking for one for along time and it seams like they don't exist anymore. I used to have a smaller one on my old GT and loved it.

BTW, since the Salsa Bandito is going to have a bottom pull, I think you'd be able to get away with just about any road derailleur, don't hold me to that though. My undestanding of braze on derailleurs is that they attach to a brazed (or welded) on tab on the seat tube, not a bottle cage bolt.
    "someone set up us the bomb" No puedo sentirme las piernas

04 Stinky Primo for sale. Please buy it so I can buy more bikes, Please!

Faller - Expert Class

Hey Bohnsai!!

Quote Originally Posted by BOhNSAI!!!
    hey psinsyd,

where did you come by an xtr 952 derailleur for a 34.9 clamp size? I've been looking for one for along time and it seams like they don't exist anymore. I used to have a smaller one on my old GT and loved it.

BTW, since the Salsa Bandito is going to have a bottom pull, I think you'd be able to get away with just about any road derailleur, don't hold me to that though. My undestanding of braze on derailleurs is that they attach to a brazed (or welded) on tab on the seat tube, not a bottle cage bolt.
    Thanks for the insight on the braze-on setup! I got lucky with the FD-M952. Scooterman contacted me to let me know he had a new one on-hand It was in a 31.8 for my Kona though. The Salsa I am building up needs the 34.9. Let me poke around the net a bit, and if I find a 34.9, I'll post the link for ya.

2006 Kona Leroi

Faller - Expert Class

Fd-m953?

Hey Bohnsai,

So far, I'm only coming up with the 31.8 M952's. Not real familiar with the Shimano front derailleur line, but I found a link for 34.9 M953's if you want to check that out.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...x?ModelID=7182

They are overseas, but you can change the currency to USD to see what it costs. The M953's are going for $44.38.
    2006 Kona Leroi

Faller - Expert Class

Found a 34.9 M952!!

Hopefully they actually have it in stock!!

http://www.bikecanada.com/list.php?p...category=front

Let me know if this works for ya!

2006 Kona Leroi

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have a 952 with a 34.9 clamp in excellent condition. PM me if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i think the lightest option will be a BTP carbon braze-on clamp with any road braze-on front derailleur. probably campagnolo record compact is the lightest/best performing option.

banned

BTP-clamp and braze-on...

Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti
    i think the lightest option will be a BTP carbon braze-on clamp with any road braze-on front derailleur. probably campagnolo record compact is the lightest/best performing option.
    lightest option is definitely a BTP carbon adapter clamp which weighs just 6g. just add a roadie braze-on derailleur and you'll be looking at weights from 65-80g

here's the link to german BTP:
    http://b-t-p.de/BTP-English/products...omponents.html

lightest derailleur to date would be a Tiso Sereo braze-on with a BTP clamp. but that's going to cost what others spend ina whole bicycle

pictured below is my "old" Shimano 9s Dura Ace (FD-7700) with oversize 38mm BTP clamp that fits my Scott Scale frame. it works perfectly also with STI shifters. i was told the new 10s derailleur has a limited swing and narrower cageplates which wouldn't work with triple chainrings. i'm not sure about that though. but there is no need to get the new ones as the old 9s version (7700) is the same weight and can be found cheap nowadays.

a Campagnolo record derailleur would sure look good with the carbon plates BUT it costs you an eye and i don't know if that's durable enough if used in the dirt...espesially not in the tuned version BTP offer where all axles are out of carbon: 53g

different 34,9 adapter clamps for braze-on derailleurs:
    shimano: 29g
    no name taiwan: 17g
    BTP: ca. 6-8g

road braze-on derailleurs:
    Campagnolo Record BTP tuned: 53g
    Tiso: 58g
    Dura Ace 9s (7700): 73g (69 with al-bolts)
    Shimano Ultegra 9s (6500): 80g

or if you don't want to mess with any adapters just get a Campagnolo Record with 34.9mm clamp: 86g
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nino; 12-22-2005 at 11:55 PM.

Faller - Expert Class

Thanks for the great info!!

Thanks a ton, Nino! I've checked out the BTP site before, and I'll probably check it out again to see what they offer. I will also begin pricing out all of the options you listed. I definitely would like to check out the Campy Record derailleurs.

Thanks again!
    2006 Kona Leroi

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    there you go:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-XTR-M952...QQcmdZViewItem
    Not my auction by the way...good luck!
    Wanted:
    Morati rigid fork (disk)

Faller - Expert Class

Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter
    there you go:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-XTR-M952...QQcmdZViewItem
    Not my auction by the way...good luck!
    Yep, I emailed that auction to Bohnsai too! Hope he's watchin! Good luck Bohnsai!

BTW, thanks again Nino for cluing me in on the roadie derailleur options!

2006 Kona Leroi

need more bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by psinsyd
    Yep, I emailed that auction to Bohnsai too! Hope he's watchin! Good luck Bohnsai!

BTW, thanks again Nino for cluing me in on the roadie derailleur options!

got it! thanks man
    "someone set up us the bomb" No puedo sentirme las piernas

04 Stinky Primo for sale. Please buy it so I can buy more bikes, Please!

Faller - Expert Class

Not a problem...

Quote Originally Posted by BOhNSAI!!!
    got it! thanks man
    Not a problem at all, dude. Hope it works out for ya!
    2006 Kona Leroi

Members who have read this thread: 0