Wouldn't the Fox F100rl be lighter than...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Wouldn't the Fox F100rl be lighter than...

the F100rlt? What I gathered from searching the forums is that the only difference between the two forks is the threshold adjustibility. Wouldn't the treshold add extra weight to the fork? I checked the weight weenies page and it has the rlt weighing less (or am i reading the page wrong?). Just curious... go easy on me I'm a virgin on these forums...

No. Just No.
    I think the RLT may have extra machining out of the crown and/or lower brace to remove some excess material.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    i have an a uncut f80rl with no starnut that I could weigh... Maybe it's lighter than the f80rlt.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Oil levels & steer tube lengths.

The amount of oil in the fork will mess up comparisons like this where the difference is so small to start with. So will steer tube length.

chips & bier

In '04 I spoke to a Fox rep about this

Not that I wanted to save weight, but I felt like selling my RLT cartridge and buying a cheaper R version. They guy said the price was astronomical (for the R cartridge) and the weight savings were about 10g. This may have been to put me off, but it was from the horse's mouth (well....kindof )

mtbr member
    I am getting an F80RL for my Titus in a week or so... I will weigh it and report in.

Here is some notable differences.
    Threshold Cartridge - 10g
    5cc of Oil* -5g (Fox recomends 5cc less between 100mm and 80mm forks)
    Crown ?

All the FRLT's I have seen don't have the scolloped crown. The F80RL / F100RL is actually a cut down version of the F80X / F100X forks I believe, as they do have a scolloped crown around the upper tubes similar to that of the teralogic series of forks.

Either way Fox's rebound cartridge is awefully expensive- I was quoted something like $350USD to take out the Terralogic cartridge and add an RL cartridge - I was lucky enough to find a set of new F80RL's going cheap locally.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CulBaire
    I
    Either way Fox's rebound cartridge is awefully expensive- I was quoted something like $350USD to take out the Terralogic cartridge and add an RL cartridge - I was lucky enough to find a set of new F80RL's going cheap locally.
    I just got my RL on ebay for 399$ brand new.

chips & bier

Fwiw

The F80RLT has different uppers and lowers than the F80X/F100RLT/F100X. I suspect the damper assembly is shorter as well, since when I converted my 80RLT to a 100RLT is made a horrible noise upon topout.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    The F80RLT has different uppers and lowers than the F80X/F100RLT/F100X. I suspect the damper assembly is shorter as well, since when I converted my 80RLT to a 100RLT is made a horrible noise upon topout.
    I did hear that the F80's converted to 100mm are a little bit flexy in comparison to the F100's -the noise however may be due to need to increase damper oil. Fox recommends 5cc more between the 100mm models and the 80mm models.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

mtbr member
    If you are referring to this page, the F100RL is not listed. The Float 100RL is/was a different fork (the "F" in the model name is officially not an abbreviation, but identifies the fork model).

My guess is the F100RL would be no more than a few grams less than the F100RLT, but maybe someone else here will report back with exact information.

Quote Originally Posted by charles-in-charge
    the F100rlt? What I gathered from searching the forums is that the only difference between the two forks is the threshold adjustibility. Wouldn't the treshold add extra weight to the fork? I checked the weight weenies page and it has the rlt weighing less (or am i reading the page wrong?). Just curious... go easy on me I'm a virgin on these forums...

mtbr member
    Odd this thread showed up again the day I got my new forks...

I got a set of F80RL's which are similar to the F100RL's in that they lack the threshold adjustment of that of an F100RLT. They looks to be the same chassis as the F-80x / F100x as it is a littel different to that of the RLT around the crown.

For what it's worth.

My F80RL come in at 1584g with 200mm of steerer tube and the star nut and steel headset bolt (so about 20g lighter).

Members who have read this thread: 0