Winter Build - Kids 26er Rigid- Mtbr.com
    New MTB XC Racer

Winter Build - Kids 26er Rigid

I have in the works building a bike for my daughter over the winter.
    Some background ...
    She is 10 (as of OCT) but not very big. Weighs in at around 60 pounds. I weighed 75 ish pounds in grades 7-9 as a male so I don't expect her to gain much weight over the next couple of years. Should be money well spent if she stay in the sport
    She currently has a Norco Ninja 20" bike which weighs in around 25+ pounds. She uses the bike for trail riding and CX. Altho a stretch to build a 15 lbs pound bike I would like to get sub 20 lbs build which should help her out, especially with the larger wheels rolling better.
    Since I love MTB racing I don't mind spending a bit on her bike as I can borrow any parts from this bike if she looses interest etc...
    Planned budget is around $1500 or so, rigid, disc, 1x9 or 2x9 ...

Not sure what to do about the frame. Would need xxs or xs most likely. Thought about welding up my own frame or getting one of the LBS to help out in this department. Have access to stick, mig, tig and Oxy welding

For wheels was thinking of ZTR Crest or Alpines laced to xt hubs or ???
    Tubless with some Karma's or Furious Freds tubless (if possible ?) suggestions?
    I have a few sets of Karmas and like them a lot and weights are around 400g.
    Should easily be able to run sub 20psi for cush'n at all up rider/bike weight of 80ish pounds

For shifting would try 1x9 to start with SRAM twist shifter and x0 rear derailer, Sram PG 990 9 Speed Cassette 11-32. Suggestions for cables ? Chain ?

Thinking of carbon fork, disc only ... suggestions?

I have Easton EC90 handlebar and some light foam grips (99g and 40g(grips + plugs))

Would need some short cranks. Maybe some kids cranks with up-graded BB and light rings. I have access to a CNC machine at work so could whip up some rings for fun and keep them pretty light and durable enough for her current strength.

Disc brakes have me looking at the Formula RX Disc Brake. For 1/2 the price of a Formula The One and the RX brake weighs 351 grams with 160mm rotor.

Not much left, seat, post, stem.
    I'm not much of a weight weenie but since my daughter is so small and trying to get her on bigger wheels figure it is worth a look to build my own bike for her. Also with me around 5'4" and 130ish pounds I can probably get away with "borrowing" any light weight parts
    Open to any ideas

Cheers,
    Paul

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    For wheels you could probably go Podium MMX's, DT Swiss revolution spokes and rotaz hubs. The hub engagement mechanism sort of sucks on the rotaz hubs, but for a light, lower power rider they will probably last for many thousands of kms, and the weight for $$$ spent is very good.

You can easily put together a 1275g wheelset this way

Rotaz hubs - 385g - $130
    Podium MMX rims - 295g each - $85 each
    DT Rev spokes and alu nipples - ~300g - $70

That's a 1275g wheelset for $370 if you lace it up yourself (probably +$100 if you get someone to build it for you).

New MTB XC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    For wheels you could probably go Podium MMX's, DT Swiss revolution spokes and rotaz hubs. The hub engagement mechanism sort of sucks on the rotaz hubs, but for a light, lower power rider they will probably last for many thousands of kms, and the weight for $$$ spent is very good..
    Thanks for the input and link. As a dedicated wheelset for my daughter seems fine. The negative would be if she looses interest. Would they be strong enough for me? On the other hand for the price and the purpose if they did end up on one of my bikes I could rebuild if I wore out these hubs. Planning on doing my own build so that is not much of a big deal

Cheers,
    Paul

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rum Runner View Post
    ...Would they be strong enough for me?...
    For race only use, probably. For everyday use, maybe. I've got a bit over 7000km now on the rear A2Z (Rotaz clone) hub. It started showing the abnormal wear around the 5000km mark, but its still holding in there now.

I'm just waiting for my Tune Kong rear hub to arrive and I'll be building a new everyday wheelset using Podium MMX's. How long the Podiums varies from rider to rider, but the rims are cheap, and if you build wheels yourself its hardly a big deal to swap rims as they wear out.

A few things to note:

- you can pretty much use the same spokes with the Rotaz rear hub as with the Kong rear hub. So you can always upgrade to that rear hub in future and keep the rim and spokes.

- you can use the same spokes with the Crest rims and with the Podium MMX's. The ERD is very close (within 1mm) between the two rims.

- I would build them 32h / 3-cross. Weight savings of reduced spoke counts (like 28h / 2-cross) are minor and although your daughter could get away with that config easily, if you want to "borrow" them for the odd race, I'd go 32h / 3-cross.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Tigs suggestion for wheels is a good one, however if you live in NA you can't buy MMX rims. You would have to go to somewhere like R2-bikes.de in Germany for the rims which will raise the price alot.
    For affordable & light stems look at carboncycles.cc or ibiscycles.com.
    For cranks the Middleburn 160mm are great for kids & you can run any 64/104 rings.
    Personally I think your daughter as a small 10 year old will be on a bike thats way to big for her. With $1500.00 to spend, I would go with a Scott Scale RC jr 24" & still have several hundred dollars for lighter parts. The wheels on this bike are really light & the V-brakes work excellent on this bike & light.I would run Middleburn 160mm cranks with 22//32 Extralite rings,Ti BB, carbon bar & seatpost, light saddle,Moe Joe tires or Rocket Rons.Here's a pic of the Middleburns & the CC stem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Build - Kids 26er Rigid-img_0330_1.jpg  

Winter Build - Kids 26er Rigid-img_0331_1.jpg  

Winter Build - Kids 26er Rigid-img_0328_1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Wiggle's the place to get Podium MMX's. $85 each with free international shipping. Not always in stock though.

New MTB XC Racer
    I have looked at the Scott 24" HT and FS as options.
    Just measured her height and inseam.
    Height is around 51" or 130 cm
    Inseam is around 23" or 60 cm
    I have thought about building my own frame since there are not many options for the kids that are in between adults and kids in both size and skill ....
    At this point it is just on the drawing board and greatly appreciate all input and comments as I know many parents have gone through this

Couple pics of last CX race to show her size on her 20" MTB.

Cheers,
    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Build - Kids 26er Rigid-meg1.jpg  

Winter Build - Kids 26er Rigid-mg2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I didn't notice on your first post that you are in the Ottawa area. In that case check this out as another possible option out of Quebec.Would leave you approx. $750.00 to ww this one.OPUS - FEVER 2012

Low Rep Count
    You can always look into a cheaper Access frame from Performance. I think they come in a 14" which is what I bought my wife. My daughters (twins) are about 5' tall and can fit the bike. Keep in mind that the post is up and has about 8"+ showing right now so it could easily be dropped. I think that frame was only like $100. It is disc/suspension ready. Great deal for a first build imo.

Great to see that she is getting into it at such a young age. I am hoping to get my girls more into it over the winter. They currently just have some cheaper 24" girls GT's that they tool around on. But my non jock daughter really likes her moms bike and has already gotten in trouble from mom for taking it out for a spin a couple of times. I told my wife that it shouldn't be a problem since she hasn't been riding it and I am the one that has to take care of it anyway. I don't remember much of the conversation past that point...somehow remember waking up on the kitchen floor???

New MTB XC Racer
    Thanks guys.
    Maye I am over thinking this and should just put a higher end 24" bike such as a Scott or Opus in the stable and run with it.
    I like the 26'er idea cause I have so many tires in the stable to use including carbide studded tires for some winter fun. Also the wheels/tire combos can pretty light for decent money for 26" IMHO.

One of the reasons I have gotten this idea is because there is a 9 yr old at the CX races about the same size as my daughter and he runs a 26'er HT with clipless pedals even ! ! I have watched him and he is very good and the size dosen't seem awkard to him.
    Montreal is practacly next door so a visit to Opus could happen
    I also forgot to mention that my wife (5'2") likes to ride but I have not got her into racing yet I did manage to get her out on the Chico 24hr course with my Daughter after the race and they both did well and had fun. A light 26'er would not go to waste haha....
    I do have a 09 Jamis Dakoda Comp Femme Frame and fork (Rock Shox Recon Race Solo Air) that I was going to build up for the wife or as a SS for me. Frame is 15.5" but I see they make a 12" this year and my LBS is a Jamis dealer.
    That Access frame looks promising as well....

Cheers,
    Paul

mtbr member
    For wheels check out the Roval wheels. You can score a deal on them once in a while. Continental makes a bunch of light weight tires that are cheaper than their Schwalbe equivalents.

About the size, girls have growth boost earlier than boys if I remember correctly, the boys catch up at a later age. In other words girls get their final height at an earlier age.
    So a bigger bike may be useful earlier than you anticipate. You can talk to a pediatrician about that, they can sometimes give you an idea.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I've got something similar planned for my 11 yr-old daughter. I bought the Nashbar 14 in. frame for her ($60) and plan on using some of my extra 26er gear to build her bike. Not necessarily a WW build, but it'll be considerably lighter than the 20 in.-wheeled tank she has now.

It's going to be a Christmas present...but it will be presented unfinished. I thought it would be fun for us to build it together over the winter weeks following the holidays. She'll be able to choose colors for parts that better fit her interests. Plus I'll be able to hand down some knowledge about building bikes, maintenance, etc.

My thoughts are similar to what's already been posted: she might be just a hair small for the frame right now, but she'll quickly grow into it and I've got a bunch of 26er sized stuff that works great.

Bonus? Her younger brother will inherit it when she outgrows it!

New MTB XC Racer
    I wasn't sure if this was really a Weight Weenie topic but there just are not many options for kids and I figured this forum would have the best advice to build light for the $$$

Think I will do the wheels over Christmas and then build up what I can from the spare parts bin and WW after that. I can then get her out in the snow on some studded tires to test things out.
    For sure she is growing. Her inseam is 23" and daddies is 29". She has been doing gymnastics for 3 years @ 16 hrs a week. Lots of $$$ on clothing and comp uniforms that don't fit anymore. I can see she is starting to grow upwards ....
    Any thoughts on an Alfine 8spd? My calculations show about 300-400g heavier than reg hub, cassette, caliper, rotor, extra chain etc. but low maintenace and more crash proof. Figured the rear drum brake would work well for her weight.

Cheers,
    Paul

New MTB XC Racer
    Just a quick update.
    Decided to go with ZTR Crest 26 wheelset. Just in the process of seeing if/when my shop can get them in. Hubs might be OEM SRAM or Shimano but weight should be sub 1500g....
    Was looking at getting the Crow or Raven but I have a couple sets of Karma 2.0 DTC that still are in good shape and weight in around 400g. I am sure the Karmas (tubeless) at sub 20 psi should hook up well enough for the beginner type conditions my daughter will be on. The Karmas actually surprised me for traction with the right pressure.
    Rider and bike weight will be sub 100lbs...
    Starting to look at cranks and it seems I may be able to get away with 165mm crank arm length.

Cheers,
    Paul