Will taking 500 grams of your bike have the same result as taking 500g off your body?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Will taking 500 grams of your bike have the same result as taking 500g off your body?

Hi guys. I figures this would be the right place to ask this simple question:

Does taking weight off your bike by changing to lighter parts have the same end result (more speed with less effort) as loosing the same amount off your body weight?

Cheers.

I don't know if the correlation is precisely one-to-one, but it's pretty close. On a smooth surface if the weight doesn't come off a moving part (wheel, crank, leg, foot) everything is pretty close. If the weight comes off your wheel set it will have a greater affect than if it comes off your waist. It's cheaper to take 500 grams off your waist (unless you're already really thin).

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for your answer. I'm actually 6'1" and weigh around 155 lbs so there isn't that much left there. Maybe I should start taking grams off my bike now

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What does your bike weigh?

I would say that weight off you body (or increase in fitness) is better than weight off your bike. In my exp over the last year my race bike is roughly 6kg lighter than what I started with and I am approx 5kg lighter in that same time. I would say both have made the same difference is max pace over a short distance but my fitness has had a bigger effect on my endurance.

Cactus Cuddler
    On an even flat climbing grade, the equivalence is 1:1, unless that weight savings is a faster rolling tire. Over undulating terrain with infrequent obstacles where your actual ground speed is varying, the weight off the bike is 'worth' a bit more, but it quickly becomes a question of which is cheaper to lose weight from, and which provides the most side benefits.

For the cost of functionally equivalent components that are simply lighter (~$1/g at best), just going out and buying higher quality food (fresh fruits/vegetables, lean but pricy mean [fish, chicken]) and sticking with eating that is going to be indirectly cheaper with the side benefit of being healthier in general. This works for anybody with a higher than ideal BMI/BodyFat%.

In your case, unless the cardio fitness side of it is the limitation, it might be helpful to look at the bike, or see if spending some time/money working on the software side of it (riding position, training regimen?) make make a higher impact short term gain, but in the overall package weight of <170lb taking weight off the bike is going to be a lot more noticeable than a rider in my overall weight regime (~268lb).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matw View Post
    Does taking weight off your bike by changing to lighter parts have the same end result (more speed with less effort) as loosing the same amount off your body weight?
    yes of course!
    just put 5kg bricks into your backpack and test accelerate/brake/descent maneurity
    First lose your body weight, and then bike weight.
    My weight 65kg and i have no more fat to lose.
    winter XC

Quote Originally Posted by matw View Post
    Thanks for your answer. I'm actually 6'1" and weigh around 155 lbs so there isn't that much left there. Maybe I should start taking grams off my bike now
    Yup, you're probably thin enough. There are more effective (and economical) places to cut weight or improve performance. Not that it's always this simple, but as an example lighter wheels will add more performance per gram lost (rim/spoke weight) than lighter cranks. Replacement wheelsets may also include better bearings as well. A better bottom bracket adds performance where a better headset bearing just adds life to the bearing. Unsuspended weight (stuff on the other side of your shocks from you) have a greater impact than suspended weight. The energy it takes to accelerate a front wheel and shock lowers decreases with lighter components. I'm 73.5"/210# (raced at 165) so I could lose my whole bike's weight from my waist before I would need to upgrade anything. Good luck with your efforts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Aside from the initial weight loss ... the lower the weight of you to the bike the better as it will help movement

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The "gurus" say it doesn't matter unless the weight is from the wheels, but this would be an interesting study. Personally, I wore a vest with 20 pounds of weights while trying to improve fitness; the influence SEEMED TO ME less than when riding heavier bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi guys sorry to barge in like this.
    My Epic weighs around 11.2kgs and i weigh about 92kgs is lightening the bike more necessary as i dont know how to loose more weight i tried all spring and for summer/season and couldnt go below 91,9kgs i do wanna go 1x something and XX1 is a darn nice group but the budget version is looking good too?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Budget version? Lol...