where to buy accurate bike scale cheap?- Mtbr.com
    bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007

where to buy accurate bike scale cheap?

where?

mtbr member
    That all depends on your definition of cheap. With accuracy and precision comes cost. A fishing store might be a good place to check out.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    I got this one, but I can't tell how accurate it is, even though it matches my estimation of "all-parts-added-together".
    So, I guess it's very close.
    DIGITAL HANGING Weight SCALE 40KG 20g LUGGAGE FISHING | eBay
    ...love is the absence of fear....

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by bt View Post
    where?
    Alpine/Ultimate right here. Or here.

The MTB Lab
    Quote Originally Posted by dogdaysunrise View Post
    I got this one, but I can't tell how accurate it is, even though it matches my estimation of "all-parts-added-together".
    So, I guess it's very close.
    DIGITAL HANGING Weight SCALE 40KG 20g LUGGAGE FISHING | eBay
    I tested that one, it is wildly inaccurate. Sometimes it's right on, the next day way off, weigh something multiple times and the reading changes. In addition you need to use a loop of webbing to hold a bike, that one doesn't if look like it has a hook (but maybe the picture is wrong?).

I would have to open it up to check the brand, but it's made by the same Chinese company.

Here is one of my paragraph's from an old review I did on table scales:

"Where are scales made now? They are all pretty much made in China. Sometimes the companies are non-Chinese and sometimes the products might be engineered and/or designed outside of China, it varies with each company. One of the reasons to pick from the reputable company is that they have better quality control and they stand behind their product. Many of the $10 scales on ebay are just that, a $10 scale. They may or may not be accurate and they may or may not be durable. Its a total crap shoot. When the manufacturing went to China the prices for scales plummeted and once the quality got better you got an incredible value for the scales. The old adage that you what you paid for still applies. Hence I prefer to stick with the big players."

Buy the Feedback Sports Alpine Digital Bicycle Scale, it works well for bikes, last's forever, and is made from a reputable manufacturer. Yes, it will cost you more, but it's worth it. The strain gauge (what makes them measure the weight) is of higher quality, as is the electronics, and the overall build quality is obviously better (yes, I have torn them apart.)

mtbr member
    For me, accuracy is less important then consistancy. I have found this consistancy with a descent fish scale.

I just want to know how much weight my bike has lost/gained. The only reason for accuracy is to show off on this forumn (or your friends). But who cares at that point, just isn't worth the extra money to me.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

Hack Racer
    Fish scale from any outdoors shop.

usually 15.99 for a Rapala.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pastajet View Post
    I tested that one, it is wildly inaccurate. Sometimes it's right on, the next day way off, weigh something multiple times and the reading changes. In addition you need to use a loop of webbing to hold a bike, that one doesn't if look like it has a hook (but maybe the picture is wrong?).

I would have to open it up to check the brand, but it's made by the same Chinese company.

Here is one of my paragraph's from an old review I did on table scales:

"Where are scales made now? They are all pretty much made in China. Sometimes the companies are non-Chinese and sometimes the products might be engineered and/or designed outside of China, it varies with each company. One of the reasons to pick from the reputable company is that they have better quality control and they stand behind their product. Many of the $10 scales on ebay are just that, a $10 scale. They may or may not be accurate and they may or may not be durable. Its a total crap shoot. When the manufacturing went to China the prices for scales plummeted and once the quality got better you got an incredible value for the scales. The old adage that you what you paid for still applies. Hence I prefer to stick with the big players."

Buy the Feedback Sports Alpine Digital Bicycle Scale, it works well for bikes, last's forever, and is made from a reputable manufacturer. Yes, it will cost you more, but it's worth it. The strain gauge (what makes them measure the weight) is of higher quality, as is the electronics, and the overall build quality is obviously better (yes, I have torn them apart.)
    I agree with the built quality, I agree with "you get what you pay for".

I was just curious on how these are and I thought if I wasted $6, then so be it.
    So far it does it's job and even with multiple weighing's the scale alwasys shows the exact same result, maybe I just got lucky with this one.

OP asked for cheap.....yes the real and serious weight weenie should buy the alpine or park tool.
    ...love is the absence of fear....

The Cheater
    Park Tool Co. DS-1 : Digital scale : General Tools

That's only $50 and what I use.
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I got the one from park tool, its a great scale !