Wheels, Light & strong?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wheels, Light & strong?

I am looking for a set of light & strong XC wheels. I am 6'3" 210lbs. I currently ride S-Works Epic and occasionally race sport (Clyd). I am using a Mavic 717 w/XT hubs. I feel these are ok and are very strong but I have the need to look into something else.
    Please steer me in the right direction.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Colorado Cyclist has a set of Mavic 819 UST rims, WTB Lazer Disc Lite hubs and DB spokes for a fab price, though they wouldn't really save any weight.
    if you want light-weight get Stan's 385g Oly rims with Supercomp spokes and American Classic UL hubs.

Ez

Peace & Love
    Not sure how much you are willing to spend but several wheelset come to mind.

Of course for hubs, there are many excellent options:

* Hope Bulbs (best bang for the buck, period. Bling colors to choose from but not much weight savings from XT hubs I dont think)
    * Hadley Hubs (tiny bit lighter than Hopes but I think THE BEST hubs. more $ than Hopes, but less than Kings. very difficult to get colored hubs unless you go to place with in stock hubs like Richardsbicycles who are great, and carry Stans rims in stock)
    * King (lighter yet than Hadleys. More $ though too. Loud when freewheeling which I love. Great color choices. But more fussy than Hadleys and drag is annoying)
    * DT Swiss 240s (among the lightest but not cheap. perhaps not my choice for a clyde but what do I know)
    * Am Classic/WTB Lazerdisc Lite (among the lightest. WTB version light as heck. Perhaps the best bang for the buck among light hubs)

* DT Swiss Supercomp Spokes (excellent spokes. I would not recommend as rear spokes for you though. Perhaps on non-drive side in rear but definitely not on drive side in rear. Front would be ok and on the front alone, would save you 32 grams)
    * DT Swiss Competition Spokes (I would recommend these for rear wheel. 1 gram more than Supercomps per spoke).

* Mavic 717 rims - heck, you could go with lighter hubs and have them relaced since they work for you. You are not going to get a lighter rim that will work for a heavier guy. At 395 grams, the only rim I would recommend that is lighter is the newer Stans Olympic Disc 385 gram version but not the 347 gram Olympic disc (make sure you specify the "heavier" olympic disc).

Seems the cheapest option to lighten up your bike and have a very nice wheelset would be to:
    * Use current 717 rims (sell XT hubs for a few bucks toward relacing)
    * DT Swiss Supercomp spokes front wheel
    * DT Swiss Supercomp spokes non-drive side rear wheel
    * DT Swiss Competition spokes drive-side rear wheel
    * Alloy nipples (add a splash of color)
    * WTB Laserdisc Lite hubs

In terms of wheelbuilders, I would talk to and recommend the following:
    * Larry at mtnhighcyclery.com
    * Chad at redbarnbicycles.com
    * Charles at hammerheadbikes.com
    * Mike at oddsandendos.com
    * Brian at boutiquebikes.com
    Last edited by FoShizzle; 09-03-2005 at 06:57 AM.

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    Dam foshizzle.. what an answer!

I agree with what is said above If money no object, then go Sapim CX-ray spokes.

Peace & Love
    damn! i forgot the CX-ray reference! glad you had my back my friend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    In addition to FoShizzle's list of wheelbuilders i'd like to add Dave Thomas @ speeddream.com. If you talk to the 'known' wheelbuilders here in the States most would say Dave's one of the best, if not the best. In the end though, if your wheels are built by any of the aforementioned you can rest assured that they will be first rate.

Peace & Love
    whoops.....my bad. I mistakenly forgot speeddream. thanks for correcting the list.

cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeplazma
    In addition to FoShizzle's list of wheelbuilders i'd like to add Dave Thomas @ speeddream.com. If you talk to the 'known' wheelbuilders here in the States most would say Dave's one of the best, if not the best. In the end though, if your wheels are built by any of the aforementioned you can rest assured that they will be first rate.
    What's the deal with these "wheel-builders"! i built my wheels 8 months ago and they are
    still perfectly round and true. I just printed a couple articles off the web and went to work!
    That said, i can see the merits of a wheel built by a pro.

Ez

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

I have this build in

Progress right now : Bontrager Mustang wheels , WheelSmith 14/15 double butted spokes
    with aloy nipples and Criss King ISO hubs.I talked with Dave Thomas and this is what he suggested for me I'm 190 lbs and will be putting these on my Flux for XC / Trail.

Peace & Love
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Z11
    What's the deal with these "wheel-builders"! i built my wheels 8 months ago and they are
    still perfectly round and true. I just printed a couple articles off the web and went to work!
    That said, i can see the merits of a wheel built by a pro.

Ez
    I am a complete hack and barely trust myself to relube the chain however, I wish I did trust myself to take on a wheelbuild but with the prices these guys give to include great prices on parts, it is hard for me to justify it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

strong wheel

ı am 220 Ibs and use chris king Iso disc mavic 819 tubuless and dt supercomp and dt prolock nipples. I have beeen riding for 6 months
    there is no problem

mtbr member
    Definatly think a stronger rim is in order- I dont know much about the XC717, but I have used the XM819's for a while, and the 223's(?) for a while too. The XM's are quiet strong, a UST rim more geared towards trail riding than racing. Weigh about 500g each with the required hardware to make them UST. But they are strong.

CX-Ray spokes, quiet a few heavier people haved used these and said they have noticed no noticeable flex when using a stronger rim- i am yet to try them, but am planning on getting an XM819 / CX-Rey / Amercian classic wheeslet build for endurance racing- should come out at about 1700g using King Hubs will raise the weight abit but they are worth the weight from what I hear.

For the record- I am a shade under 200lbs and slowly dropping the weight .
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.