Wheel Build Suggestion?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Wheel Build Suggestion?

I've got an older set of King Classics laying around that I want to have built up for one of my Dean hardtails. I don't keep track of V brake rims much anymore, so I'm hoping somebody may have some good ideas for this project. These wheels will be lightly used mostly on paved trails and dirt roads. Basically looking for fast, smooth, light wheelset when I'm done. Thanks.100_0951_1.JPG

100_0949_1.JPG

100_0950_1.JPG

100_0058_1.JPG

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004
    How about the original NoTubes 355 rim brake rims? They're quite light, though they don't quite fit with the retro feel of your particular build.

If you want something that can take more abuse, the Mavic 717 ceramic is a more expensive and heavier option, but would give pretty good durability and very long life to the braking surface. They'll also behave much like the old Crossmax rims you seem to be using now, except that the wheels will be lighter and the King hubs will by far out-perform the mavic's.

Actually, I just built up a wheelset almost exactly like that for a friend (CK hubs, 717 ceramics, with CX-rays), and they are really, really nice. CK classics are *****in'.
    A hardtail is forever

Hack Racer
    I suggest Sun Ringle UFO rims. Sub 400grams, V-brakes, Eyeleted.

Btw, those are beautiful bikes!

edit: I think the new Sun Ringle Equalizer 21 rim (estimated sub 350gram rim) is suppose to have a machined brake track as well.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions guys...all are good options . The 717's are one I thought about in keeping with all black rims (which I like) and good wet weather performance. Any idea what real rim weights are Hardtails? Stans was the inital first choice, but weighting around 385 per rim doesn't put them too much in front of anyone else in my book. I'm really interesed to see what Sun is going to do with the Equalizer series, this could ultimately be a good option. The rims that were originally on this build were Sun sub 4's and they ended up cracking around the eyelets from very light use. May have been high tension or tire pressure playing a part though. The whole I9 versus King debate is part of what is driving this build. Its been several years since I've ridden these and would like to be able to compare the two more directly. Not to mention they really are wonderful hubs.

Members who have read this thread: 0