what wheels???- Mtbr.com

Thread: what wheels???

mtbr member

what wheels???

I need some help im putting my hard tail on a diet and im going to try and take 2lb off of it for next season to race. Im starting with the wheels im thinking eather Cross Max SL disk or FSA XC300s. I don’t want it to be just a race day wheel I would like a nice light wheel set that I can ride on a lot and not trash.

mtbr member

I Wouldn't

I wouldn't go either... You could build up much nicer wheels for about the same cost, not to mention they would be lighter.

Do you have specific wants in a wheelset?

UST, being able to be trail ridden, certain width etc...

Personally I'd go a build with XM819d's, which I will get shunned for (as they are kind of heavy rims)- but built with Hugi 240's Centerloc hubs and and DT Swiss Aerolite (or Sappim CX Rey), they will be the same weight as the Crossmax SL's, more reliable and alot less flexy Will weigh about 1695g.

DT-Swiss XR4.1d's are a nice choice too- hook them up with Eclipse/DT Swiss rimstrips for tubeless action and you are set to go! The DT Rims will save you a fair bit wighing in at 1550ish + 50g for tuebless rimstrips.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

mtbr member
    No i dont want tubless. i was thinking about building a wheelset but i dident know if i could get it lighter then the crossmax SLs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CulBaire
    I wouldn't go either... You could build up much nicer wheels for about the same cost, not to mention they would be lighter.

Personally I'd go a build with XM819d's, which I will get shunned for (as they are kind of heavy rims)- but built with Hugi 240's Centerloc hubs and and DT Swiss Aerolite (or Sappim CX Rey), they will be the same weight as the Crossmax SL's, more reliable and alot less flexy Will weigh about 1695g.

DT-Swiss XR4.1d's are a nice choice too- hook them up with Eclipse/DT Swiss rimstrips for tubeless action and you are set to go! The DT Rims will save you a fair bit wighing in at 1550ish + 50g for tuebless rimstrips.
    Where would you get rims like the ones you have stated above b/c I am also looking to save some weight too without breaking the bank

mtbr member
    The XM819's are made by Mavic

Also for a non tubeless Mavic rim XC717.

and the DT Swiss XR4.1 / XR4.1d are made bu DT Swiss. Both should be available at most bike shops... I'm not sure on the price of either, I could give you the Australian retail price but that wont be much help.
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

Faller - Expert Class

Three words...

Talk to Dave!

Dave Thomas will take his time to make sure you get exactly the wheelset you want. I've ridden my set through the season last year and they've performed amazingly. I'm looking to order my second set for hte Bandito I'm building up.

Here's the link.

http://www.speeddream.com/

Hope this helps!
    2006 Kona Leroi

Quote Originally Posted by azonicrider188a
    well just get your asses some juicy 7s and huck down a mountain. thoose v brakes will snap like my butt

mtbr member

Is the Mavic819/CX/Hugi 32 combo really stiffer than the Mavic Crossmax SL/centerlock wheels? Wouldn't this combo using brass nipples, 32 spokes and rim strips push the weight closer to 1900 grams?

mtbr member
    So how about DT XR1540 wheel set. Its lighter then the mavics. 1540 grams.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadRoadie
    Is the Mavic819/CX/Hugi 32 combo really stiffer than the Mavic Crossmax SL/centerlock wheels? Wouldn't this combo using brass nipples, 32 spokes and rim strips push the weight closer to 1900 grams?
    The XM819 / Hugi combo will be stiffer then the Crossmax's if built right- the CX Reys and even DT Swiss Aerolites can hold a higer tension, the XM819 rim is a little stronger (it's not scolloped) then that of the Crossmax and the hubs are much more durable.

As for weights... Why use brass nipples, you dont need to, alloy ones are just as durable in my opinion; if you are using a good spoke key you'll have no issues. You dont need to use the 16mm nipples as specified by Mavic either , people have build them using 12mm nipples with great success.

Rim strips- What rimstrips? the rims are UST like the Crossmax, and do not need any rimstrips to make the rims tubeless.

Heres some weights
    Hugi 240's CenterLock Front Hub: 136g
    Hugi 240's CenterLock Rear Hub: 258g
    DT Swiss Aerolite Spokes: 280g * (64 pieces)
    DT Swiss Alloy Nipples: 20g
    Mavic XM819d Rims: 1000g **
    ----------------------------------------------
    Total: 1694g

* Spokes: May be lighter as rims higher profile requires shorter spokes, Sapim CX rey weigh the same as the Aerolites, it's a mater of which is cheaper for you... In Australia DT Swiss is cheaper then Sapim.
    ** Rims: Average about 500g to 510g with requaired "Fore Nipples".

There you have it, a UST wheelset, at or under 1700g; not bad considering Mavic Crossmax SL weigh a Claimed 1690g and a little over for real weight- the weights listed are taken off weight weenies. You can get the wheel significanly lighter with the use of lighter hubs, such as American Classic- or even making a freak wheel, out of a OEM 24spoke hole rim, and finding some light 24hole hubs.

The positive side- the above wheelset will be more durable then the Mavic CrossmaxSL, and alot cheaper to maintain as mavic parts are quiet high in price- it may even be cheaper to build, but I am unsure of the Crossmax SL price in the USA- so I can't comment on that.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    The DT XR1540 wheelset looks awesome- I'm sorry I forgot to mention them, I haven't heard much about them at least not on our shores here in Australia. Very light build and all the components are quiet durable the Hugi hubs are second to none and the DT Rims are pretty tough.

If you want to go tubeless- you said you didn't but it's worth a shot... You could run DT Swiss's own tubeles rimstrips designed for their rims... it will only add another 40g to 50g for rimstrips, and about 100g to the pair, for sealent (as opposed to tubes).

mtbr member
    The XM819 / Hugi combo will be stiffer then the Crossmax's if built right- the CX Reys and even DT Swiss Aerolites can hold a higer tension, the XM819 rim is a little stronger (it's not scolloped) then that of the Crossmax and the hubs are much more durable.

As for weights... Why use brass nipples, you dont need to, alloy ones are just as durable in my opinion; if you are using a good spoke key you'll have no issues. You dont need to use the 16mm nipples as specified by Mavic either , people have build them using 12mm nipples with great success.

Rim strips- What rimstrips? the rims are UST like the Crossmax, and do not need any rimstrips to make the rims tubeless.

Heres some weights
    Hugi 240's CenterLock Front Hub: 136g
    Hugi 240's CenterLock Rear Hub: 258g
    DT Swiss Aerolite Spokes: 280g * (64 pieces)
    DT Swiss Alloy Nipples: 20g
    Mavic XM819d Rims: 1000g **
    ----------------------------------------------
    Total: 1694g

* Spokes: May be lighter as rims higher profile requires shorter spokes, Sapim CX rey weigh the same as the Aerolites, it's a mater of which is cheaper for you... In Australia DT Swiss is cheaper then Sapim.
    ** Rims: Average about 500g to 510g with requaired "Fore Nipples".

There you have it, a UST wheelset, at or under 1700g; not bad considering Mavic Crossmax SL weigh a Claimed 1690g and a little over for real weight- the weights listed are taken off weight weenies. You can get the wheel significanly lighter with the use of lighter hubs, such as American Classic- or even making a freak wheel, out of a OEM 24spoke hole rim, and finding some light 24hole hubs.

The positive side- the above wheelset will be more durable then the Mavic CrossmaxSL, and alot cheaper to maintain as mavic parts are quiet high in price- it may even be cheaper to build, but I am unsure of the Crossmax SL price in the USA- so I can't comment on that.
    Al Alloy nipples hold up with disc brake wheels, and rider weight near 200Ibs who rides 100% XC?

I love Pisgah
    Disc wheels with alum nips?...I have 2 sets of 717s(1520gm, 1880gms) with one set using 15g butted spokes, which I've broken 2 at the bend, 1 set of 24 hole titanium(higher spoke tension) spoked 819s(1621gms), Stans Olympics(1442gms). All raced in 12/24hrs, 50+ mile TTs, and of course XCs. I've yet to have a nip related problem since 02. 175lb Sport class racer.

USB Rep'n
    The XM819's are made by Mavic

Also for a non tubeless Mavic rim XC717.

and the DT Swiss XR4.1 / XR4.1d are made bu DT Swiss. Both should be available at most bike shops... I'm not sure on the price of either, I could give you the Australian retail price but that wont be much help.
    Ill vouch for the 240/4.1d setup. Handbuilt and super light (sub 1600g). The thing is, they are tough wheels for such lightweight hoops and the hubs are bomber. They aren't inexpensive but I have always felt that wheels are not a place I like to cheese out on. For a race/everyday wheelset, these are right on.
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Echoing what psinsyd said... TALK TO DAVE!

Weight Weenie Shop Owner

My DT Swiss 240s CL/Mavic XM 819 Disc/XE14

weighs in @ 1759g. The XE14 spokes are just a tad heavier than the Aerolite or Spaim CX-Rays. With those spokes your are looking near 1725-1730g possibly..
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

mtbr member

Light gage 28 spokes

Quote Originally Posted by pulser
    per wheel is a little flimsy for everyday XC/Epic useage with rider weight of 195-200Ibs (depending on camelback load).

Members who have read this thread: 0