What pedals? Crank Bros vs Time ATAC vs Expedo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

What pedals? Crank Bros vs Time ATAC vs Expedo?

I am currently running a pair of tired Crank Bros Ti eggs. Looking at something a little different. What are the ATAC XS Carbon or Ti like in comparison? Are xpedos OK or stay away?

At this stage i am leaning towards another pair of ti eggs, or possibly ATAC Ti..

just bro'n out
    ive had the full ti xpedos for about a year now, i love them, have had no problems. i ride them very hard and have banged them on plenty of rocks. the time pedals would be pretty similar to the c bros, similar float. i like the xpedos cause they feel very similar to my 959's, but they're a hell of a lot lighter

banned

Exustar

Quote Originally Posted by ryan123
    I am currently running a pair of tired Crank Bros Ti eggs. Looking at something a little different. What are the ATAC XS Carbon or Ti like in comparison? Are xpedos OK or stay away?

At this stage i am leaning towards another pair of ti eggs, or possibly ATAC Ti..
    definitely Exustar WE-PM25 Ti:

less weight (just 207g/pair)
    much cheaper
    full SPD compatible
    funtion on par with XTR / 959
    much better durability than Xpedos
    no fragile body

and best of all there's still some potential to get them to just 195g with some bolt-tuning by far the cheapest ultralight pedal on the market!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    definitely Exustar WE-PM25 Ti:

much better durability than Xpedos

t!
    how are they more durable? They are build by the same people using the same internals and axels.

I will agree that the exustar look to have easier/smoother entry due to the shape of the pedals.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese
    how are they more durable? They are build by the same people using the same internals and axels.

I will agree that the exustar look to have easier/smoother entry due to the shape of the pedals.
    that's comments i get from people who had Xpedos before using the Exustars. the Exustars have much better entry/release action and hold up better than the Xpedos who seem to develop play very soon.

banned

no weight limit!

Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    Is there a weight limit?
    no weight limit.

ಠ_ಠ
    Is there a weight limit?

ಠ_ಠ
    Where can they be purchased in the USA?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Nino, how about the Q-factor on the Exustars? Are they as wide as Eggbeaters?
    I changed my Shimano 959 for Eggbeaters in the past but not realy like them.
    They are too wide, my foot is to loose on the pedal (i don't know how too say this) and not durable at all.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    that's comments i get from people who had Xpedos before using the Exustars. the Exustars have much better entry/release action and hold up better than the Xpedos who seem to develop play very soon.
    Is that down to te new axle design I hear about with better seals? In which case newer Xpedos should be as good. Waiting to get my Xpedos back from a rebuild at the moment.

banned

same width...

Quote Originally Posted by dennis rides Scott
    Nino, how about the Q-factor on the Exustars? Are they as wide as Eggbeaters?
    I changed my Shimano 959 for Eggbeaters in the past but not realy like them.
    They are too wide, my foot is to loose on the pedal (i don't know how too say this) and not durable at all.
    they are exactly the same width than XTRs. i actually got several positive comments on the Exustars. especially from people who came from 959(XTRs). they like that they perform on par with the shimanos but enjoy the 150g lighter weight. there is nothing as durable as Shimano pedals, that's a fact. but the Exustars do a great job, much better than other offerings on the market. my own Triple-Ti also have severe play in them. nothing that bothers me while riding. but high priced pedals aren't doing any better !

SUBLIM8er
    This is out of left field a bit but what about Speedplay Frogs? They are light in the TI flavor @ 205gms and I have found them to be very durable. I've put them to two years of hard slams to rocks with no discernable problems. Very easy to get in and out of and you can service easily via the greaseports. Another benefit is the availability of replacement bearings. If you want something different these may be worth a look.

mtbr member
    btw, what's up with time's website? am i crazy or do they only speak about road pedals on that damn site? go to www.timesportusa.com and try to find ANY info on the atacs...they should probably be excluded for that reason alone, damn roadie lovers

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekFan
    btw, what's up with time's website? am i crazy or do they only speak about road pedals on that damn site? go to www.timesportusa.com and try to find ANY info on the atacs...they should probably be excluded for that reason alone, damn roadie lovers
    Look here! http://www.time-sport.com/us/accueil.htm I have no idea why they have a website for roadpedals only.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Where can they be purchased in the USA?
    Did anyone ever come up with an answer to this question?

banned

some sources...

Quote Originally Posted by yz_387
    some sources ship worldwide.

Trying to find Flow
    Quote Originally Posted by yz_387
    I asked the rep an Interbike, and they're still looking for a U.S. distributor. I think Quality imports their other stuff....maybe Giant too. Might not hurt to ask that they start carrying these pedals.

Got a good look at them. The come both in SPD cleat version and a Time cleat version....both the same weight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    As far as durability goes, I have seen xspeedo's clip mechanisms break very fraquently. The exustar might be worth a look.

mtbr member

ATAC Pedals

I have been using ATAC pedals since Last January. I haven't had a single problem with them and have adjusted to them well. Got a nice price too from Nashbar after Christmas sale item. $78. Others I have talke to say they handle mud very well.

banned

I'm guessing that many will argue choice of pedals comes down to personal preference - but that being said, TIME's are the best.

I ran time ATAC's-carbon from 1997 through last December and never had a problem - great in the mud, great bearings, bashed em into plenty of rocks and absolutely no problems.

I bought a pair on Candy SL's last year based on their weight, price and not being French. No comparison. The bearings are 1/2 the quality, the mechanism while similar in appearance is no where near as solid - with the disengagement feel just like that of Speedplay Frogs (read - nonexistant).

I just bought a new pair of ATAC XS carbons and am stoked - they don't rattle like the Candy's, much more solid engagement and release - and a firmer platform. My bike felt so much better after switching back to Times (amazing how noticable small differences are)- now if only they weren't French!

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by imridingmybike
    I'm guessing that many will argue choice of pedals comes down to personal preference - but that being said, TIME's are the best.

I ran time ATAC's-carbon from 1997 through last December and never had a problem - great in the mud, great bearings, bashed em into plenty of rocks and absolutely no problems.

I bought a pair on Candy SL's last year based on their weight, price and not being French. No comparison. The bearings are 1/2 the quality, the mechanism while similar in appearance is no where near as solid - with the disengagement feel just like that of Speedplay Frogs (read - nonexistant).

I just bought a new pair of ATAC XS carbons and am stoked - they don't rattle like the Candy's, much more solid engagement and release - and a firmer platform. My bike felt so much better after switching back to Times (amazing how noticable small differences are)- now if only they weren't French!
    No reason to bash another product that most people like and have good success with. Your first comment was correct, the rest is just ignorant...

banned
    No reason to bash another product that most people like and have good success with. Your first comment was correct, the rest is just ignorant...
    I disagree. Stating my opinion based on real life experience - especially when the subject of the post asks for such, is completely appropriate.

In my experience one product is better than another for various reasons. This is not bashing, and is the diametric opposite of "ignorant".

Members who have read this thread: 0