What Headset Are You Using- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

What Headset Are You Using

I do not know what headset to run. I am torn between the Tune, Extralite and the trusty King. (1 1/8). Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    I use an FSA XL-II. Works great, cheap, but pretty darn ugly.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

PurpleIsFasterThanRed!
    Chris King. Rolls like nothing, beauty as hell and with most cult-factor I'm also quite sure they'll outstand Extralite and Tune in terms of durability.

And that COLORS!

Greetz
    vi3dr0
    Aluminium Carbon / Damping Composite

TiFreak
    Aug 2007
    Been running the same Chris King for 11 year's now. Bearing's are as smooth as the day I bought it.

SUBLIM8er
    King= overbuilt, overweight and overpriced, IMO. I have been very impressed with my Tune Bobo HS and less so with my Extralite Freehead 2, FWIW.
    Every man has inside himself a parasitic being who is acting not at all to his advantage.
    William S. Burroughs

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Take a look at the new Crank Bros direct sets. Just got one from Jenson. Very nice headset and 65g.

Weight Weenie Shop Owner
    Chris King. The END for all HS. I don't care if it's a bit heavy.
    DIRT BOY
    Light-Bikes.com
    The Largest Site Dedicated to Light Weight Bikes and Sales
    Twitter: @lightbikes_com

Surfing trails
    I have used Kings for the last 5+ years but now switching over to Cane Creek 110's when a new frame is prepped. I was always impressed with the CC Solos but the 110's just take it up another notch. The new Crank Bros. directsets are nice as well but I don't have any experience with them.

Come on, dare me!
    I have a Chris King on my FS and an FSA Orbit Pro on my hardtail. Love my CK. Classic, beautiful, durable, reliable, weatherproof... Even with a few grams penalty, I would still take it over any other H/Set.

Jerome

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I own four kings but three are currently in the toolbox. I rarely actually find myself reaching for them also when building a bike. Twenty years ago maybe there was nothing better or even comparable but today its another story. $15 chinese made headsets now spin as smooth and weigh less, and hell, even if the bearings only last 1 year instead of 10, you'd still come out more economical just buying complete replacement headsets than with that one king.

I use a LOT of Neco headsets now... They use the same bearings for threaded and threadless convention (press-in cups) versions so if you wanna swap a bike's fork from thread to threadless all you need is a new top cap assembly really. The threadless ones in 1 1/8 are 134g (with SFN) in the 1 1/8 conventional and 107g for ZeroStack. They retail for $23 cdn and come in black or silver cups. Those are the sealed cartridge bearing models.

www.necoparts.com
    Last edited by DeeEight; 03-10-2008 at 03:11 PM.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    $15 chinese made headsets now spin as smooth and weigh less, and hell, even if the bearings only last 1 year instead of 10, you'd still come out more economical just buying complete replacement headsets than with that one king.
    How are your maths? King headsets are available for $120, 10*$15 = $150.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

Hack Racer
    Tune BoBo

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    CK headsets though I have used a FSA Orbit as well. Prefer the CKs- smooth, reliable, easy to regrease, and they keep going. I got mine for under $100 so it wasn't too bad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thank you everyone for your input, i think I am going to go with the King headset. i have had them before but I just thought I would try something a little lighter. I have heard some bad reviews about the extralite and the Crank brothers is till new and hard to get, the Tune also. Thanks again.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy
    How are your maths? King headsets are available for $120, 10*$15 = $150.
    That's if you can find one in stock at that price. The king MSRP on them is much higher which is why many dealers have lost their accounts for CK products.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Hack Racer
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...2&category=725

129 USD.
    Orders over 100 get 10% off. Orders over 300 get 15% off. I usually have no problems spending 300 USD. So the final price of that headset plus is 109.65 + shipping.

I think that is the best price online that I can find.

pedal pusher
    9 years on the same Chris King, no problems.

Members who have read this thread: 0