What hardtail frame?

Printable View

• 04-05-2004
    Jas0n
    What hardtail frame?
    so heres the deal, i'm looking to a light hardtail frame to build up and race. in the last two seasons, i've def. become more of a roadie, but i want to get back to basics and my roots this seasons; i sold my superlight and want to built up a light weight race ready hardtail. what frames would you guys consider? keep in mind cost, i really dont want to go too crazy b.c. im also builiding a new roadie (think $3,000 built up and ready to ride, i work at a shop, so it will be less with e.p, but this is the retail range i am looking at). heres what i was thinking initially:

Titus Riddler or HCR
    Giant XTC Hybrid
    Scott USA Scandium (would actually prefer the 2002/03 blue model is anyone has one for sale in the 18" range)
    Felt EPO Scandium
    Guru Ti Hardtail (new for 04; gurubikes.com)
    Anything else you may think of and add on

Note: my shop carries trek, giant, santa cruz, guru (they now make a ti hardtail) as well as a couple of roadie brands (calfee, derosa) so any frame by either of those companies would be the best deal.

thanks guys
  • 04-05-2004
    MaLoL
    kona kula primo frame

easton scandium under 1200gr in 19" and cheap considering itīs scandium
  • 04-05-2004
    SoilRider
    If you can get a kona kula primo, let me know where. I tried to get on last week, but had no luck. The people at kona said they where sold out this year ( or at least the 18" were). I think I'm going to go with the Yeti Arc. Not a light or cheap as the kona, but still scandium.
  • 04-05-2004
    wncbiker
    Gunnar rockhound
  • 04-05-2004
    wncbiker
    Gunnar rockhound
  • 04-05-2004
    Jas0n
    ill check into it. i work for performance while im at college, and were also a kona dealer. maybe i can scare one up. it sounds like a cool frame and a good price. what do you guys think about independent? i can also e.p their frames, but they don't seem like the lightest; perhaps the 853 ride makes up for the weight. i suppose the jamis dragon is also an option at 2700.
  • 04-05-2004
    eurorider
    Jas0n, can you even get the Felt EPO Scandium as a frame only and who sells them?

Know anything about them besides them using Easton Scandium tubing? Price? Weight?
  • 04-05-2004
    MaLoL
    For those who donīt know it:

All frames with Easton Scandium tubes donīt weight the same and donīt have the same stiffness. And this is not due to the price, itīs because of the design of the frame and the geometry.
  • 04-05-2004
    eurorider
    I know that, I was just pointing out what tubing is used.
  • 04-06-2004
    Jas0n
    i've been working on the scandium, but its going to be hard. first of all, felt mtb's arent sold in the u.s., neither are they sold in the u.k. as for price, the highest end scandium (epo team) with the carbon monostay rear tri. goes for 4500 euro, which i think is like 5700 dollars; a little out of my price range but ill still do it if i can get my hands on one. as for the frame material, i know its their easton "ultra light xc series" scandium; it supposed to be very stiff but also very comfortable. our pearl rep. back home is also the felt rep, and i asked him if he might be able to pull some strings and import either the epo team or pro; he said he would try (were not a felt dealer, but we do order a ton of pearl and make him alot of money. hes been cool in the past with me, and i always get a few pairs of microsenors from him each season). so well see, thats all i know as far the frame goes. worst case: if i cant get the frame and i have my heart set on it, i may buy when im europe with the fam this summer nad bring it over (but that may be way too expensive with teh rising euro and falling dollar and depends on how much i can save until then).
  • 04-06-2004
    eurorider
    yea ok, that's cool ...but you can only get it as a complete bike right?
  • 04-06-2004
    ozone
    Don't Forget Rocky Mountain
    They make a nice Scandium hardtail the vertex
  • 04-06-2004
    Kaparzo
    Titus Riddler!!!!!!!!!
    It's 2.7 lbs, high quality aluminum, stiff, light, strong, absorbent (as much as al can be) and its a Titus, and a hardtail!!! What more could you want! Oh yeah, its 700bucks!!!!!!
  • 04-06-2004
    limba
    I want a Rocky.They cost $1600 Canadian :mad: .Maybe I'll check out the Kona.
  • 04-07-2004
    limba
    Well my lbs can't get one my size and Kona sent me an auto-reply email that is totally useless.
  • 04-07-2004
    Duckman
    But what about the Giant hybrid? Anyone run one yet? I sure like the idea. Heres a good set of pics of the frameset.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...670851470&rd=1
  • 06-10-2004
    skritikos
    Kona Kula Primo, Fastrax Scandium?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MaLóL
    kona kula primo frame

easton scandium under 1200gr in 19" and cheap considering itīs scandium

I visited today the local Kona dealer to ask for the Kula Primo frame.
    I liked the quality nice finish and the color. The only "problem" is that the stickers
    are "Kona Scandium Tubing", "Made in Taiwan" and the third one "Fastrax".

So its not build from Easton tubing but from custom Kona ordered tubing?

Thanks for any answers,

Stamatis.

ps: the price is 760 Euro paying cash.
  • 06-10-2004
    FuelForThought
    Check http://v2racing.com/3dracing/roverxc.html.
    Not cheap but cutom geometry Scandium frame. That is what I would get if I were to get a hardtail.

Max N.
  • 06-10-2004
    clubhomeboy
    A little pricey, but what about an Extralite RC1 Ultra. 2.63 lb for a medium...