What is a good budgetlight frame these days?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,718

    What is a good budgetlight frame these days?

    Hi all,

    My 18" Access is starting to drive me nuts. It has a weird feeling turn-in, like the fork rake is wrong for the frame, or something odd like that. I know that fork rake is pretty fixed these days. Maybe the frame is just too dang short for me. I have a 110mm stem on there now, and it feels like it needs to be longer, but the saddle to bar distance is fine. I mean, the thing is kinda standard NORBA geometry, so it has to be TT length/size, right?

    All my other bikes are large, and I just assumed 18" was a large, but maybe not in this case.

    Anyway...

    I'm keeping my eye on craigslist.org for a used hardtail frame of some sort. Nothing of interest in the last couple weeks. Also, fleabay is not brining up anything interesting, except a Gary Fisher Mt Tam that looked okay. Not sure Genesis geometry is my thing, not to mention the cracking issues.

    This is basically my lightweight hardtail that is only really going to be used for racing... for laying down flat sprints. I got a RS Duke Race with MC and set to 80mm of travel. V-brakes, too. Comfort is secondary, although a nice steel frame would be nice if it wasn't to heavy.

    Wasn't there some cheap magnesium frames kicking around at some point?

    Maybe should I just get another Access frame, but 20"?

  2. #2
    Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Reputation: DeeEight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,861
    How tall are you? 18" would be up to about 5'10 to 6'1 maybe, 20" is the 6'2 and up folk.

    As to the cheap magnesiums, the guy on ebay who was clearing out the Salt Cycles/Litech frames was down to about a dozen yellow 17" frames when I got mine last summer, and then shortly after I think he sold what was left to one guy as a lot, who then turned around and tried relisting them on ebay for about triple what the rest of us who'd gotten one previously had paid (about $300US BIN last I checked, which isn't bad for a 2 Ib 15.5 oz frame). So that's not an option really given the size requirement you have.

    Nashbar has a glossy black Al hardtail frame for $65 in 14 to 20" sizes, but they don't list geometry or frame weights for them on the website unfortunetly. Its a good price but I'd hazard a guess they're probably in the 4 pound range, which isn't so bad but probably heavier than what else is out there and your access frame for that matter.

    Do a frame search for "mosso" on ebay and you'll find frames from one particular asian dealer, and if you check his other auctions they'll be under a variety of brand names, a lot of other frames, all basically the same except for colours, but sometimes there's a bit of variation in design and frame weight/materials. Most are in the 3.2 to 3.5 pound range.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

  3. #3
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,718

    Did some research

    Quote Originally Posted by DeeEight
    How tall are you? 18" would be up to about 5'10 to 6'1 maybe, 20" is the 6'2 and up folk.

    As to the cheap magnesiums, the guy on ebay who was clearing out the Salt Cycles/Litech frames was down to about a dozen yellow 17" frames when I got mine last summer, and then shortly after I think he sold what was left to one guy as a lot, who then turned around and tried relisting them on ebay for about triple what the rest of us who'd gotten one previously had paid (about $300US BIN last I checked, which isn't bad for a 2 Ib 15.5 oz frame). So that's not an option really given the size requirement you have.

    Nashbar has a glossy black Al hardtail frame for $65 in 14 to 20" sizes, but they don't list geometry or frame weights for them on the website unfortunetly. Its a good price but I'd hazard a guess they're probably in the 4 pound range, which isn't so bad but probably heavier than what else is out there and your access frame for that matter.

    Do a frame search for "mosso" on ebay and you'll find frames from one particular asian dealer, and if you check his other auctions they'll be under a variety of brand names, a lot of other frames, all basically the same except for colours, but sometimes there's a bit of variation in design and frame weight/materials. Most are in the 3.2 to 3.5 pound range.
    Turns out the 18" has a F'ing 22.5" TT. I bought it used, and was told it was a large. Like a lazy bonehead, I didn't research it before I bought it, so its my own dang fault. My large stumpy that I'm perfectly comfy on, has a TT of 23.5" with a 110mm stem.

    No wonder it feels wrong.

    The 20" Access has a 23.25" TT. On the plus side, the weight is 3.6 lbs. The whole bike built up to under 23 lbs. Perofrmance bike has them on sale for $169 bundled with a set of LX flippy shifters, hydro or cable. I'm tempted. They are often on sale in the stores for $129. Maybe I just man up and get it, sell the 18" access on CL for $60 and fix the issue.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: limba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,938
    You can get a 2007 Salsa Moto Rapido for under $700 new or used on ebay for around $400.
    I don't know if that's too much money but it's a nice frame that'll work with v-brakes.

    Never mind I reread your budget.

  5. #5
    the train keeps rollin
    Reputation: snowdrifter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,213
    Pimpster, define budget.
    beaver hunt

  6. #6
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,718

    Cheap

    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    Pimpster, define budget.
    Used <$100. New <$200 maybe? If I find a Giant XTC or something for <$250 I'd do that.

    I might be able to inch higher. Basically, this bike collects a lot of dust, so I don't really wanna blow too much dough on it. I just can't justify it since it sees less than 100 miles a year of dirt. I break it out for a few training rides and for races, but that is really it.

    BTW, I'm 5'10" with long arms. I rode medium bikes for years before finding they were typically too small for me. Much more comfy on large bikes.

  7. #7
    Cheezy Rider
    Reputation: Rufudufus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,684
    I have one of the Litech magnesium frames you're talking about. Very nice. Check ebay occasionally, seems like I've seen them fairly recently--two or three months ago maybe.

  8. #8
    Rod
    Rod is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Rod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5,258
    Here's a link to a nice frame you could pick up for 278. It's 38 more dollars so I would just buy it. I will probably buy a smiliar frame myself someday. I like the ride of steel, but it's heavy. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a light steel bike. Isn't that an oxymoron? http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Giant-XTC-T...QQcmdZViewItem
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    342
    not sure what are the current offerings but if all else fails just remember there is the Giant XTC which is almost available everywhere..which imo is also great value for money.

  10. #10
    No longer 26
    Reputation: G-Live's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,090
    I saw a LG GF Cobia on the bay the other day. Sure you'd have to get a fork and some wheels but at a LG frame size I'd go 29er all the way.

    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

  11. #11
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,718

    Oh man....

    Quote Originally Posted by G-Live
    I saw a LG GF Cobia on the bay the other day. Sure you'd have to get a fork and some wheels but at a LG frame size I'd go 29er all the way.

    G
    I would love nothing more than to do a weight weenie budgetlight 29er hardtail, but that is just not in the budget. I have everything except the expensive stuff. Wheels, frame and fork... which of course are the only bits that are 29er specific.

    I'm all about the 29er lately. I got a MC29er (the anti-WW bike) about a year and a half ago, and ride it almost exclusively. Dispite the weight, I love that thing. It is the best bike in the stable, at the moment. I'm actually racing it at Sea Otter in SS Sport class.

  12. #12
    No longer 26
    Reputation: G-Live's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,090
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I would love nothing more than to do a weight weenie budgetlight 29er hardtail, but that is just not in the budget. I have everything except the expensive stuff. Wheels, frame and fork... which of course are the only bits that are 29er specific.

    I'm all about the 29er lately. I got a MC29er (the anti-WW bike) about a year and a half ago, and ride it almost exclusively. Dispite the weight, I love that thing. It is the best bike in the stable, at the moment. I'm actually racing it at Sea Otter in SS Sport class.
    Cool, was not sure if you had ridden one or not.

    Good Luck at SO.

    G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.