Well, I gained 283g....- Mtbr.com
    (aka SS_MB-7)

Well, I gained 283g....

My '03 SID World Cup (cut to 195mm) without the standard remote lock-out (using thumb Climb-It Control dial due to lack of downtube clearance), without V-brake bosses and with the required compression cap assembly weighed 1346g (2.96lbs).

My new '04 Fox F80X bossless (cut to 195mm) with King headset cap, nut and star fangled-nut weighed 1629g (3.59lbs). The uncut bossless fork weighed 1633g (3.60lbs). The King headset cap, nut and SFN weighed 27g.

So, I've gained 283g (0.62lbs)!

Although the weights are an apple-to-apple comparison, these forks are apples-to-oranges. Looking at the two forks side-by-side, you can certainly tell the Fox is going to be stiff.

First ride will be tonight!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

Lightweight Ghost Rider
    Congrat's on the new fork!

Do you mind sharing why you went away from the SID?

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Knut

No real particular reason. I've always wanted a Fox...this F80X will be my first, well, actually it won't. I had a F80RLT but never got to ride it since the caps on the right-side wouldn't clear my downtube. Instead of adding a second headset race or machining the caps (similar to what Anonymous Gerbil did), I sold the fork and went with a SID WC. Fortunately, the F80X clears my downtube without any issues...lots of clearance.

FWIW, my SID WC was an excellent fork. I raced it hard for a season and rode it continuously for 12+ months through rain, mud, snow, etc. The fork never gave me an ounce of problems. When I finally pulled the fork apart a couple months ago, it was prestine inside....RockShox has come a long way with their seals.

I'm only 135lbs, so flex was never a real issue even though I use discs.

So, in short, I was just looking to try something new.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

mtbr member

I think I am kicking myself right now....

I went with the F100RLT and "should" have went with the F100X.
    I think Push Industries can install some of that SPV technology into the fork so I may check into that.

Let us know what you think.

Also.......what are your thoughs on the new Hope Mono's? I am really digging mine. Excellent everything........ I really wish they could take about 50 grams off of these. Any ideas what can be done to lower the weight a bit more? I am torn between putting the Formulas back on just because they are lighter and sucking up with the heavier weight of the Monos. I think I am leaning towards the Hope's over the Formulas.
    I sent and email to Hope UK to see if they can lower the weight I'm sure they are going to take care of that just for me!

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by 1speed_Mike
    No real particular reason. I've always wanted a Fox...this F80X will be my first, well, actually it won't. I had a F80RLT but never got to ride it since the caps on the right-side wouldn't clear my downtube. Instead of adding a second headset race or machining the caps (similar to what Anonymous Gerbil did), I sold the fork and went with a SID WC. Fortunately, the F80X clears my downtube without any issues...lots of clearance.

FWIW, my SID WC was an excellent fork. I raced it hard for a season and rode it continuously for 12+ months through rain, mud, snow, etc. The fork never gave me an ounce of problems. When I finally pulled the fork apart a couple months ago, it was prestine inside....RockShox has come a long way with their seals.

I'm only 135lbs, so flex was never a real issue even though I use discs.

So, in short, I was just looking to try something new.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    Also.......what are your thoughs on the new Hope Mono's? I am really digging mine. Excellent everything........ I really wish they could take about 50 grams off of these. Any ideas what can be done to lower the weight a bit more? I am torn between putting the Formulas back on just because they are lighter and sucking up with the heavier weight of the Monos. I think I am leaning towards the Hope's over the Formulas.
    I sent and email to Hope UK to see if they can lower the weight I'm sure they are going to take care of that just for me!

KMan
    So far, so good. The Monos are a really nice brake and I don't really have any real complaints about them after ~6-weeks of riding them. Although, my rear brake has a tendency to squeal when wet, but I'm going to take the Magura Gnann-o-Mat to my rear tabs to ensure they are OK. The front is quiet. Oddly enough, my older rear Hope C2 squealed, as did my rear Mini. But, all my other brakes (Formula B4s, Formula B4 SLs and Shimano XTR/XT) didn't. Wonder if it is something to do with Hope (pad compound??). I've sent HopeUSA and UK an email asking them about this, but I haven't got a reply to any of my emails...great customer service Hope! Let me know if you receive a reply.

Well, in looking at the brake, they've pretty much trimmed as much as they can with the rotors. Calipers look like the could loose a few grams, but I think the levers are where they should focus. Although beautifully CNC'd, the can't be that light. But, that's the trade-off for durability. I never had any issues with my Mini or Mono Mini levers.

In comparing the weights of my Minis vs my Mono Minis (both 160mm/140mm), you can quickly see that the majority of the weight that was lost (53g) was lost on the rotors (47g), not the lever/caliper.

Hope Mini
    - front brake (caliper, lever, full length line, fully bled, bolts) = 271g
    - rear brake (caliper, lever, full length line, fully bled, bolts) = 287g
    - front rotor (with bolts) = 147g
    - rear rotor (with bolts) = 118g
    Total = 823g/set

Hope Mono Mini
    - front brake (caliper, lever, full length line, fully bled, bolts) = 270g
    - rear brake (caliper, lever, full length line, fully bled, bolts) = 282g
    - front rotor (with bolts) = 118g
    - rear rotor (with bolts) = 100g
    Total = 770g/set
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

Complete Bastard
    I went with the F100RLT and "should" have went with the F100X.
    I think Push Industries can install some of that SPV technology into the fork so I may check into that.
    I have heard that you can buy the terralogic guts for your f100rlt for under 200 bucks from fox themselves. this may be an unsubstantiated rumor, but I thought I'd pass it along in case it's true.

M

mtbr member

True about the Fox

I just got an email back from them:
    "You can convert those forks to TerraLogic by putting a F100X cartridge assembly in them . Cost per assembly is $150.00 and can be ordered from us direct at 1-800-369-7469 ext.6550"

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by mward
    I have heard that you can buy the terralogic guts for your f100rlt for under 200 bucks from fox themselves. this may be an unsubstantiated rumor, but I thought I'd pass it along in case it's true.

M

Jed Peters
    Quote Originally Posted by Knut

Have you ridden a SID?

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonic Man
    Have you ridden a SID?
    hahaha. Some people swear by threat em no matter how the fork performs. Some people have luck most don't.

Mike, The best weight gain your bike can have IMHO. The Terralogic forks are just the greatest...

To think I actually hesitated before buying the F100x.
    Trev!

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor!
    hahaha. Some people swear by threat em no matter how the fork performs. Some people have luck most don't.

Mike, The best weight gain your bike can have IMHO. The Terralogic forks are just the greatest...

To think I actually hesitated before buying the F100x.
    Any tuning tips? I had my SID WC perfectly dialed-in for my weight (140lbs) and riding style (agressive XC with tight singletrack)....ahh, felt like an old comfortable T-shirt.

I had my first ride on my F80X last night and while good, I need to fiddle with the settings. I started at 55psi with rebound set at the middle and the Bump/Blow-Off Treshold at full CCW (large bump activates).

Yes, I could definitely tell a marked increase in fore/aft and lateral stiffness --- how could there not be? The fork certainly goes where it is pointed without a hint of flex. I guess I became so accustomed to riding the SID that I adapted to it's leg-wandering, etc., because the first few corners with the Fox were like riding-on-rails.

I started with the Bump/Blow-off Threshold Adjuster at full CCW (large bump activates). After ~20 minutes of singletrack, doubletrack, fire road, etc., I switched to full CW (small bump activates). After ~45 minutes of similar riding, I switched back to full CCW. There is a noticeable difference between the settings and I found I prefered full CCW.

I'm still going to be fiddling with the settings, but am curious what others are running. So, please provide your riding weight, riding conditions, air pressure, rebound and Bump/Blow-Off Threshold Adjuster.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)

Jan 2004
    Any tuning tips? I had my SID WC perfectly dialed-in for my weight (140lbs) and riding style (agressive XC with tight singletrack)....ahh, felt like an old comfortable T-shirt.

I had my first ride on my F80X last night and while good, I need to fiddle with the settings. I started at 55psi with rebound set at the middle and the Bump/Blow-Off Treshold at full CCW (large bump activates).

Yes, I could definitely tell a marked increase in fore/aft and lateral stiffness --- how could there not be? The fork certainly goes where it is pointed without a hint of flex. I guess I became so accustomed to riding the SID that I adapted to it's leg-wandering, etc., because the first few corners with the Fox were like riding-on-rails.

I started with the Bump/Blow-off Threshold Adjuster at full CCW (large bump activates). After ~20 minutes of singletrack, doubletrack, fire road, etc., I switched to full CW (small bump activates). After ~45 minutes of similar riding, I switched back to full CCW. There is a noticeable difference between the settings and I found I prefered full CCW.

I'm still going to be fiddling with the settings, but am curious what others are running. So, please provide your riding weight, riding conditions, air pressure, rebound and Bump/Blow-Off Threshold Adjuster.
    I weigh 180 and run 70 PSI, 6 clicks out from full close on rebound and 6 clicks in from fully open on Terralogic. This is pretty much what Fox suggests except with a lot less PSI. I'm also in Central NY where the trails are just a tangle of large tree roots and rock gardens. If things were smoother, I'd certainly be using different settings.

At 135 lbs, I'm thinking you could get away with a little less pressure in that fork. IMHO, I feel that the Terralogic forks are better suited running a little softer than other forks.

Your fork will break in after 50-100 miles or so. The ride will become less harsh and the transition between closed and open will become nearly perfectly seemless.

It's a beautiful thing

- Jeremy -

Trail rider and racer

Hi Mike,
    Sorry for the slow reply to your original question. I have been run of my feet and haven't spent my usual hours on MTBR today. Raced a Team (2 man) roadie TT and came 1st in our classification and 2nd overall.

Anyhow.

To be honest even though I have had the fork since last october I haven't really fiddled alot with the fork. I set it up, adjusted it once and found it round perfectly for me. I followed the manual, which I rarely do, and placed a cable tie around the stanchion and set up the air, sat on the bike and then checked my sag setting.

Currently, I run the fork with 70psi which takes into consideration my weight, plus my hydrapak and a few essentials. Rebound is set about halfway, give or take a click and the bump/blow off again at about half way give or take a click. Sorry for my vagueness but I packed my bike into its flight case earlier on before seeing your post. As far as ride quality goes for me with those settings. It is spot on perfect. It reacts to pretty much every think and remains responsive in technical terrain. Additionally I find it is good on hard pack surfaces or smother terrain when I am putting the foot down.

I rode this fork on an old firetrail that begins smooth turns into corrugations like you have never seen and turns to sealed surface. Upon riding over this road from rough to smooth and vice versa the fork rides textbook perfect.

No doubt you will be converting all your suspended bikes to Fox F100X/F80X bikes in no time. When I build my hard tail I will be getting another terra-logic, because frankly nothing compares.
    Trev!

Jan 2004

Wow, not a bad way to upgrade.

I just got an email back from them:
    "You can convert those forks to TerraLogic by putting a F100X cartridge assembly in them . Cost per assembly is $150.00 and can be ordered from us direct at 1-800-369-7469 ext.6550"

KMan
    I really liked my Fox F100RLT....until I tried the Manitou Minute 3. With the SPV, I can run at lower pressures and end up with a fork which resists bob, but it plush to impacts. I was going to sell the Fox and buy another Minute but now I'll probably just ugrade.

Members who have read this thread: 0