Wanted some advice to save some weight on my wife's S-Works Era- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Wanted some advice to save some weight on my wife's S-Works Era

Currently the bike weighs in at 23 lbs on the button. I will tell you what is different then stock on the 2009 Era S-works and suggestions on how to shave the most weight. Keep in mind she weighs 110 lbs so I believe OS handlebars and stronger parts are not a necessity.
    We live in South Florida

Starting with Tires - Rear - Specialized Control Fast Traks - Tubeless 2.0
    Front - Specialized S-Works Captains - Tubeless 2.0

Stem We have a Bontrager Race XXX Lite OS Carbon Stem - 31.8 - I believe around 155 grams.

Stock 31.8 Specialized OS Handlebar Carbon - I think she can swap this for a 25.4 to save weight as she doesn't weigh that much but let me know !!!

Skewers are the stock Roval Titanium - Not sure how much they weigh but assume can get some KCNC here to save weight - let me know.

Stock S-works Seatpost - I think I can cut off about 6 inches on bottom of this if needed - How much weight will this save?

Chain is a SRAM PC 991 Cross-Step - around 300 grams I think.

I will keep rims as I know I can save 200 grams there but for that much money I will stick with the less expensive stuff.

I want to be less then 500 with the upgrades and I can always sell the left overs as well.

Let me know ASAP as I have a race for her next week and would love to have it done by then - Thanks...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gigabyte772 View Post
    Starting with Tires - Rear - Specialized Control Fast Traks - Tubeless 2.0
    Front - Specialized S-Works Captains - Tubeless 2.0
    Give the Maxxis Ikon a shot. Nice and light, and I'm assuming living in Florida, that you ride a lot of sand? I've never used a tire that handled sand so well.

Stem We have a Bontrager Race XXX Lite OS Carbon Stem - 31.8 - I believe around 155 grams.
    Ritchey C260 would save around 50g (depending on length).

Stock 31.8 Specialized OS Handlebar Carbon - I think she can swap this for a 25.4 to save weight as she doesn't weigh that much but let me know !!!
    Assuming she's happy with the width, I'd keep this bar. Not a whole lot of weight to be saved without spending stupid amounts.

Skewers are the stock Roval Titanium - Not sure how much they weigh but assume can get some KCNC here to save weight - let me know.
    Those skewers are claimed to weigh 70g, IIRC. My KCNC skewers weighed 45g.

Stock S-works Seatpost - I think I can cut off about 6 inches on bottom of this if needed - How much weight will this save?
    I cut 5.25inches off of my Easton EC70 post and saved 47g, so some where in the range. Personally, I'd look at getting a KCNC seatpost and then cutting it down, that would save 100g+.

Chain is a SRAM PC 991 Cross-Step - around 300 grams I think.
    My KMC X10SL weighs 245 with a link or two removed.

You may also want to check out the Sram XG999 cassette.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well Thanks for the reply. My skewers weight 104 for the pair so I am liking the change to KCNC. I like the change to the Ritchey C260 if I keep the handlebars. I need to weigh my handlebars. I will swap out the lockon grips for some foam ones, that will save another 60-70 grams depending which one I get. As far as the Cassette - mine is 224 I see online and new one you said is 175 for 250 dollars plus labor for 50 grams - might skip that. As far as the tires, I might just do another Fast Trak in front - Specialized says 520 grams for the controls, once I buy another set I will weigh them...

How much of the seatpost do I need where it goes into frame?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    as far as the chain, I think I will keep the reliability then the extra 50 grams? What you think? I will weigh the handlebars in morning

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    OK well the weights are in - Both Locking grips - 107 grams, Handlebar - 200 grams on button, Stem - 163 grams and chain 285. i think I will leave chain as is as I don't want her to worry about a chain break, grips I will get the foam ones - should save - 95 grams there - WOW... Handlebars - Not sure what to do - go 25.4 or stay with 31.8????? Might be able to save 75 grams if I go with 25.4 - Worth it?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Wow, those bars were a lot heavier than I expected.
    Get a Syntace F99, and Salsa Pro Moto bar, should save ~120g.

Also, I've had better luck with the KMC X10SL than any Sram chain. Broke quite a few sram chains, not had any issues since I switched to the KMC. I'd just wait until her current chain wears out and then switch.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks Colin for chiming in. I was thinking of the Ritchey C260 with a MT ZOOM or New Ultimate Flatbar. I think would save about 160 with both... Let me know what you think?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Only issue with the New Ultimate bar is it's width, it's NARROW! If she doesn't mind a very narrow bar, then it'd probably be fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Maybe some schwalbe tires(Rocket Ron/ Racing Ralph), or a Maxxis Aspen for the rear. All under 500g. Maybe an easton ec70 bar. The 31.8 vs 25.4 doesn't have a huge weight difference. The Ec70 bar 25.4 = 124g and the 31.8 =128g. My 25.4 bar weighs 128g. The 25.4 bar is $40 at pricepoint. RF deus stem in either size is $34 at cambria. One of the lightest out there. My 90mm 25.4 weighs 128g.

Do your wheels have the DT aerolite spokes? If not, you could easily have the wheels rebuilt with Stans 355 rims, which are on sale at pricepoint for $50, and keep your hubs. If yes, then don't bother with the wheels, as those spokes are light and pricey. Wheels are by far the best place to save weight, especially with rims and tires. And if you go tubeless, save another 200g just in tubes. For racing, there is no better place to start than the wheels.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Wow - Thanks for all the feedback... Yes she has the DT Swiss Aerolite 2.0/1.6mm, black, alloy nipples so we will keep that. Already Tubeless. I was going to look into the schwalbe tires(Rocket Ron/ Racing Ralph), but read some bad reviews so i will stick with Specialized. Things that I was thinking about the wheels, we currently have the Fast Trak 2.0 Control in the rear tubless, I was going to move them to the front as supposely they weigh 520 grams but will weight them when I take them off tonight and put in front. I was going to get a 1.9 Renegade Control for the rear weighing in at 460 I believe. As far as the handlebar I was thinking of the S-works Flat as it weighs 120 and I think my dealer can get a good price but it is 25.4 so I just need a 25.4 stem like the Syntace F99. I should order the Skewers tonight - anyone buy from Stealth Cycling in Cali before? rest of the stuff need to order Monday when my dealer gets in.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Wow - Thanks for all the feedback... Yes she has the DT Swiss Aerolite 2.0/1.6mm, black, alloy nipples so we will keep that. Already Tubeless. I was going to look into the schwalbe tires(Rocket Ron/ Racing Ralph), but read some bad reviews so i will stick with Specialized. Things that I was thinking about the wheels, we currently have the Fast Trak 2.0 Control in the rear tubless, I was going to move them to the front as supposely they weigh 520 grams but will weight them when I take them off tonight and put in front. I was going to get a 1.9 Renegade Control for the rear weighing in at 460 I believe. As far as the handlebar I was thinking of the S-works Flat as it weighs 120 and I think my dealer can get a good price but it is 25.4 so I just need a 25.4 stem like the Syntace F99. I should order the Skewers tonight - anyone buy from Stealth Cycling in Cali before? rest of the stuff need to order Monday when my dealer gets in.
    Schwalbe Ron & Ralph are the tires of choice for MANY people. You will find 10x more good reviews than bad. The newer versions have a thicker sidewall to help with setting up tubeless. I have had zero issues with my 26ers and 29ers. Supposedly, people have issues with tread life. And the sidewall on the Ron. Most I have read about the sidewall, people were riding in some pretty rough stuff. My Ron 2.25 is the Performance version and weighs 460g, with the Ralph 2.1 right around the same. Can't beat this combo for racing. Traction is awesome with the Ron in front and Ralph in back.

Good luck with whatever you do

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well just weighed the Fast Trak Control and they were 526, the damn captains I had in front were 640 - Damn !!! removed them instantly now... Will take the Fast Trak's and shove them up front and look into the renegades in 1.9 in back that weigh - 460. Afraid to go with both S-Works just in case of sidewall tear or tubeless blowout in her races. Don't want her to worry about anything except finishing...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well looks like we went with Specialized Fast Trak Control LK in the rear. Went with a Syntace F109 stem in 90mm and have not did the handlebar yet - Thinking Easton EC70 XC

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Well just did the tires, skewers and grips - esi - not the xc specialized yet - not in stock but ESI 50 grams Still need to do handlebar and stem and already at 22.2

Should be under 22 with handlebars and stem - ec70 XC handlebar and F109 Syntace stem...

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Latest update - 21.7 lbs with an ec90 SL riser cut to 560mm and F109 Stem and 11-32 M970 Cassette with shorter chain and m980 XTR Pedals... Still not sure about tires for her, she has 520gram Specialized Fast Traks LK Control in back and 520 gram Fast Trak normal Control up front. Not sure if I can get away with other tires for South Florida and be safe tubeless for her...
    Last edited by gigabyte772; 12-13-2011 at 01:19 PM.

mtbr member

kcnc skewers

Can you tell me how the KCNC skewers are working & which model you got? I'm buying same bike as your wife's so would love to know. Thanks!
    the journey is the destination

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    KCNC Skewers working out great. We have the ti ones that weigh 46 grams for the pair...