Upgrading a Motobecane 700DS- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Upgrading a Motobecane 700DS

I ordered these parts today from pricepoint.
    Sette Vector 25.4mm Handlebar
    Maxxis Ultralight MTB Tube Presta
    Kenda Karma DTC XC Tire
    Sette Edge 25.4mm Stem
    Sette APX Alloy Seatpost
    WTB Rocket V Team Saddle

I would have ordered either a cassette or crankset instead of the seat but I didn't think I could do the work myself yet. I'll put these parts on then order a crankset and cassette next month. My bike weighs in at 32lbs. Do you think I dropped 2lbs today with this order? What about next month with a LX crankset and xt cassette?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Am I getting no response because it's a Motobecane? I think it's going to be a sweet bike when I'm done.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    No, more likely because you didn't provide us any comparison material to work with... so its a motobecane...whooopy.... tell us what's on it. You want answers, provide complete information.
    What you should have done first is bought a proper digital scale, taken those parts of your bike, and weighed them ahead of time before deciding what new things to order.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm pretty sure that as long as I stick to upgrading the no name and cheaper parts on my bike that it can only get lighter. I'll weigh some of it as it comes off next week. I looked at the weight weenie web site and none of the parts were listed that came stock. I also ordered some Titec Pluto Pork Rinds Foam Grips.

Here are some specs on what is getting replaced.

700DS - Crankset TruVativ 5D Powershift Rings 22/32/44T
    700DS - Pedals Beartrap MTB with metal cage
    700DS - Cassette/Freewheel Cassette 12-32T 9 speed
    700DS - Tires WTB Velociraptor - 1340 a set - new weight - 932 set
    700DS - Handlebar Skye 20 rise Aluminum
    700DS - Stem Skye Comp Aluminum Threadless for 1.125 inch
    700DS - Saddle WTB Speed V with LoveChannel est weight 400g- new weight - 210g
    700DS - Grips - Unknown
    700DS - Tubes - Unknown
    Last edited by jacob300zx; 04-03-2008 at 07:49 AM.

himom!
    Apr 2006
    The 700DS is a $600 full suspension bike:
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...cane/700ds.htm

From quickly scanning the specs list, I see that EVERY SINGLE PART is heavy and cheap. Except the rear derailleur, perhaps. Does it really weigh 32 pounds? It looks heavier than that.

You are going to blow so much money making that pig a light bike. I had a Motobecane Fantom Comp. When I was done lightening it up, I had replaced EVERYTHING except the stem and brake levers. I basically built up a new bike from scratch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah, I know. I'm handing everything down to my wife and moms bikes. So it's not a total waste. I just like to modify my stuff. The bike came in at 32.5 on my scale.

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob300zx
    Yeah, I know. I'm handing everything down to my wife and moms bikes. So it's not a total waste. I just like to modify my stuff. The bike came in at 32.5 on my scale.
    Fair enough, just wanted to make sure you had some idea of what you are getting into. As long as you are having fun, then it's OK. It is a hobby, after all. It's supposed to be fun.

You really should save your money up for a nice wheelset before upgrading the cranks/cassette. This is where you will feel the biggest difference. The tires/tubes you have ordered were a good idea, though. Now just sit tight and save those pennies.

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jacob300zx

700DS - Tires WTB Velociraptor - 1340 a set - new weight - 932 set
    700DS - Handlebar Skye 20 rise Aluminum
    700DS - Stem Skye Comp Aluminum Threadless for 1.125 inch
    700DS - Saddle WTB Speed V with LoveChannel est weight 400g- new weight - 210g
    700DS - Grips - Unknown
    700DS - Tubes - Unknown
    You'll save roughly 50 grams for the handlebar, 50 grams on the stem, 80 grams for the grips, and those tube probably weight 200 grams each.

408(tires)+50(handlebar)+50(stem)+80(grips)+190(sa ddle)+150(tubes) = 928 grams, or a little more than two pounds.

Since your bike is so heavy, it'll be easy to shed weight. At least in the beginning, don't spend more than $0.5/gram.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Haha saving is not the problem....the wife is! I'm at .26 a gram including shipping right now. If I can get the bike down to 27-28 I'll be happy for a while.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Well I just got back from riding the bike. I finished everything but the seat post. It needs to be cut. I am so glad I did these mods. The bike is easier to pedal and handles better. The biggest difference in weight were the tires, stem, and seat. I have a Sram 990 cassette coming as well.

Jake

Members who have read this thread: 0