Tune Hubs- Mtbr.com

Thread: Tune Hubs

Low Rep Count

Tune Hubs

Hey guys, I just received a package from a guy that I sold my old bike to a few months back. He lives in China and he basically sent me a thank you package (I guess that is what it was/is and I am guessing that is who it is from as I have not done business with anyone else over there)

In any case, in the box was a Tune front hub! I looked it up on Posh Bikes real quick (not the first time I have heard or seen Tune hubs mind you). But the odd thing is that the drilling is 12. Yep, 12 holes total, 6 per side. Obviously this would be something for a road bike. Even then, that is very few spokes.

According to Posh, the hubs are only available as low as a 16. I am curious if this might be a custom option or if by chance the hub is simply a fake. Anyone have any ideas?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Post a picture of it!

mtbr member
    Interesting! Pic yes!
    Also nice thank you gift, since tune hubs are not necessarily cheap.
    ...love is the absence of fear....

Low Rep Count
    I completely agree on the not cheap part!

Here is a picture of it. The weight on my scale says 78 grams! Holy frickn lightness! But what good is a 12 spoke hub on a MTB???
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tune Hubs-tune.jpg  

ups and downs
    Get out the power drill, 12 more holes and you can match it to a 24 hole rim
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Get out the power drill, 12 more holes and you can match it to a 24 hole rim
    Even though I'm not an engineer, that is probably the thing that could be done, without even sacrificing the strength much. Maybe RR only though, just to be safe.

EDIT:
    Someone on light-bikes.de tuned this Rohloff Hub:
    Last edited by dogdaysunrise; 08-15-2011 at 07:39 PM.
    ...love is the absence of fear....

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Does dental reconstructive surgery come with that Rohloff?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Looks like a Tune MIG 70, but I've never heard of one with 12 spokes!

I'd post it on eBay, and label it as super rare!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Could it be for chair racing?

Low Rep Count
    I could see and have ridden a 24 spoke hub on a road bike. They can hold up pretty well. But the Dumb A$$ that drilled the Rolf is/was just asking for some problems. I remember having an old Nuke hub blow a flange on me. Fortunately I did not crash but I did come close and damn near wet my pants when it happened.

Not sure what I will do with it at this point. I don't plan on using it though. My only issue is that the guy that sent it to me bought my old bike via ebay and I am thinking may have added me to his sellers list or something. I would feel like a jerk if I posted it up there and he saw it for sale. I might just have to have a buddy sell it for me on his account or something if I go that route. It would be great to simply trade it for something though. Hmm, might need to start talking to some local roadie friends of mine...

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    But what good is a 12 spoke hub on a MTB???
    Adds to the adrenaline factor. Live life on the edge.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    cool paper weight. probably why he sent it to you for free.

The need for singlespeed
    I'm no wheel builder but I don't think breaking out the Makita is the answer. As far as I know the spoke holes should be staggered, and drilling another six holes in the flanges won't give you a staggered pattern.

Low Rep Count
    I hear you. I don't plan on drilling it out. I would prefer to sell/trade it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    What bike did you sell him...?

Low Rep Count
    My GT Peace 26er.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Maybe that is a Chinese clone/copy of a real Tune hubs?
    Send it back to Tune and ask if it is real.

I'm attracted to Gravity!
    Spoke holes alternate from one side of the hub to the other. If the spoke holes are off, it will make the spoke tensions real wonky, and in a 24 spoke wheel, that's no good.
    In my very limited machining experience, laying out and drilling the hub accurately enough for a solid wheel build is a job for a machinist and a manual mill, not your drill press at home or the hand drill.

Build it up as a front wheel for your kid's kick bike like Mikesee did here.

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD View Post
    I completely agree on the not cheap part!

Here is a picture of it. The weight on my scale says 78 grams! Holy frickn lightness! But what good is a 12 spoke hub on a MTB???
    Why don't you ask him the intended use of this hub?

Low Rep Count
    So I have been back and forth with a guy at Posh bikes via email and this was what I got back from him today after sending him the picture of the hub. Interesting!

Hi Chris

Thanks for the picture

Well, this is a tough one... Its not the same as the fakes we have located and looks genuine (see my picture of the 2011 Mig 70 hub attached / New 2012 17 mm axle version now available).

* The radius of the silver end caps on the axle is smooth where in covers the bearing in the hub. Your hub has a radial groove, although this is vary similar to the very first Mig 70 hubs
    * The laser etched logo is thiner and covers less width on the central tube of the hub, although it could again be an early hub
    * The 'Doughnut' style spoke flanges have a smooth radius inside and out. Yours is smooth on the outside and more angular on the inside, although this is similar to Tunes rear hubs
    * The central tube is the same out thickness all the way, whereas yours has a lip and is thicker where in enters the spoke flanges. Again, this could just be an earlier version

Maybe its a prototype or a one-off custom? Tune hubs do vary from batch to batch as each time they are produced they update them a little. My feeling is that it looks to good to be fake though and must be a custom order hub.

Best regards, Andy

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Why not contact Tune directly? service@tune.de

They do reply in English, although it might take one or two days.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Members who have read this thread: 0