tune cranks- Mtbr.com

Thread: tune cranks

mtbr member

tune cranks

what do you guys know about them. specifically for SS use. Im only 155lbs, but am going to run a 34-16 gear. so what do you know about the fastfoots and bigfoots? hows the hextaper BB on the fastfoot?

mtbr member

He's a thread from lst year

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...39761#poststop

My bigfoot and Philwood square taper has been running fine since then. I weight around 135lbs and if I was going SS I'm probably opt for something a bit stiffer esp if you're going to be standing more often rather than spinning.

banned

flexy and wide q-factor!

i had some Bigfoots myself years ago but those are really flexy and worst of all the q-factor is pretty bad using Tune cranks as well. i would really recommend you get some other cranks such as Race face Next LP which are about the same weight but MUCH stiffer.

by the way: i'm also 150 lbs.

and if ever: don't get the sixpack verison as there you are stuck with their proprietary BB and will have a hard time to get replacement if needed...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Single Speed Junkie
    Race Face sucks mainly because they stopped making those cranks in square taper. I have a few sets and they really are one of the better cranks you can run. For a bit more current versions I have been running the Deus. still in my opinion not as nice as the old LP.

BTW I do like the tune cranks, just would never consider running any of their parts as I know I would break them in a hurry.

banned

square vs ISIS

i also highly recommend square over anything else (including the newest generation of outboard bearings)

i was lucky to get some nice square LPs for my BMX cruiser

mtbr member
    where do people keep getting the Race face cranks - they havent been made in years?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    where do people keep getting the Race face cranks - they havent been made in years?
    ebay, classifieds, etc.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    And when you see 'em ya gotta jump.

Also - I've bought bikes just for a few parts. Is it worth it... sometimes.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

pedal pusher
    I still have my LPs from 1999; not the carbons, just the normal aluminum ones. I've beaten the sh!t out of them and they still work like new, and almost look new. I think I'll take them and the Race Face Ti square-taper BB I have them bolted to to the grave.

mtbr member
    100_1145_1.JPG

I've had these since I could get em....seemed like the wait from conception to availability was at least 2-3 years. I burned throught the first set of rings, but these are still some of my all time favorite cranks.

P.S. sorry for the mooschy stuff thats me getting married to my girl 3 weeks ago, that wasn't really meant to be in the photo.

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    what do you guys know about them. specifically for SS use. Im only 155lbs, but am going to run a 34-16 gear. so what do you know about the fastfoots and bigfoots? hows the hextaper BB on the fastfoot?
    I ran the tune bigfoot on an RF ti bb in 2x9 form, and found them to be uber flexy when sprinting. Derailler rub was a constant problem, not to mention the crankarm would actually interfere with the front derailler (XTR 952).

I switched to RF Next LP's and havent looked back.

However if you are still interested, shoot me a PM, i am willing to offload mine.
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    https://www.mixcloud.com/djfeelgood/

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just wondering why you all seem to prefer the square taper bottom bracket to the isis/octalink/intagrated bb.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pooheadx
    Just wondering why you all seem to prefer the square taper bottom bracket to the isis/octalink/intagrated bb.

Thanks!

the isis standard has some problem with durablelity becouse of that the axle has so big diameter and the bearings gets so thin (small balls = weaker).

octalinc was/is good, the problem is that there isn+t so many crankset out there that has octalinc.

intregrated ar good, but the limitation with that is the chainline, offen you can get better chainline with a ordinary bottombracket

Hike it or Bike it!
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    i also highly recommend square over anything else (including the newest generation of outboard bearings)

i was lucky to get some nice square LPs for my BMX cruiser
    I've got 2 sets of those Race Face LP's (one Square and one ISIS). Any suggestions on how to outfit them with light rings in triple (and or double)? Both have stock Race Face 22-32-44 rings and bolts.

banned

ANY rings are lighter...

Quote Originally Posted by SingingSingleTracker
    I've got 2 sets of those Race Face LP's (one Square and one ISIS). Any suggestions on how to outfit them with light rings in triple (and or double)? Both have stock Race Face 22-32-44 rings and bolts.
    RF have the heaviest rings out there!

so just about ANY ring will be lighter than the stock Race face rings! I highly recommend Sugino supershifter rings as those shift great, don't cost much and are still lightest rings with a lot of tuning potential left. these days rare to find but occasionally pop up on ebay (and i have some left as well...)

42t: 65g (can be tuned to sub 50g!)
    32t: 32g
    20t: stock Sugino is steel and ca. 40g so look for a aluminium granny (ca. 18g)

pictured below a RF Next LP outfitted with tuned Suginos and on the other pic with a KCNC scandium ISIS BB.

Hike it or Bike it!
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nino
    RF have the heaviest rings out there!

so just about ANY ring will be lighter than the stock Race face rings! I highly recommend Sugino supershifter rings as those shift great, don't cost much and are still lightest rings with a lot of tuning potential left. these days rare to find but occasionally pop up on ebay (and i have some left as well...)

42t: 65g (can be tuned to sub 50g!)
    32t: 32g
    20t: stock Sugino is steel and ca. 40g so look for a aluminium granny (ca. 18g)

pictured below a RF Next LP outfitted with tuned Suginos and on the other pic with a KCNC scandium ISIS BB.
    Thanks, Nino. I'll start the search and hunt process.

meow, meow.
    With the thick ISIS axle, double row bearings (preferably on both sides) counter the reduced ball size problem. Also, overbuilt seals are always welcome in an MTB BB.

pedal pusher
    I agree with Nino on the weight of the Race Face rings. Here are what mine come in at:

46t = 112g
    32t = 57g
    20t = 30g

The 20t is a steel ring if I recall right. Of course, the same ring has lasted me for 9 years now, so I won't complain (okay, 4 of those years I ran w/o a granny, so really 5 years of use).

Yeah, I run a 46-20 split and the XTR front derailler shifts just fine.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltazar

intregrated ar good, but the limitation with that is the chainline, offen you can get better chainline with a ordinary bottombracket
    i dont like how your bearings go bad after i mud puddle, the seals are terrible on outboards.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    i dont like how your bearings go bad after i mud puddle, the seals are terrible on outboards.

i think the new Hope version has better sealing. not sure, but have heard that they have some extra sealing

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    one advantage of old square taper design is a very low Q factor.

Members who have read this thread: 0