mtbr member
    Dec 2007

trying to lighten bike

I am new so please let me know if this should be in begginer.

So i recently got this bike used, it is in really good shape and everything works great. It's a IH Warrior.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...Race&Type=bike

I would like to try to lighten in up some. I know wheelsets would really help but I think i would be looking at about 300-400 for something to make it worth it.

Are there any upgrades that can be done fairly inexpensively? Or would something like bars and a stem really not make that much of a difference? From what I can find the tires are not too heavy. They are practically new, the PO kept it garaged and did not ride much it seems.

Thanks
    Last edited by cliffslocal; 09-18-2008 at 04:06 PM.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    I'd replace that crankset, are your chainrings steel? XT's are the standard option, or you could shop around for somthing lighter. Are the tires folding bead? If not ditch them, and get somthing lighter that won't compromise handling. If you don't get flat tires very often pick up some maxxis lightweight tubes. Foam grips are nice too.

Hard to say how heavy your cockpit items are, as that add doesn't give enough info, if you can weigh each item, and know for not very much money you can get wide aluminum handlebars under 230 grams, a stem around 150 grams, a seat post around 240 grams, and a saddle under 220 grams. Those weights are for budget light weight parts, if you want to spend more look at the stuff other poeple are running on this forum.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I agree with Flystagg, the crankset, and bottom bracket would probable be the best weight loss for the money.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thanks IBIS and FLY.

Ill look into the tires and weigh the cock pit items mentions and replace if there is a big difference.

Regarding cranks. Are the XT's that much better than the LX's? For both strength and weight? I ride xc in the desert (san diego) and occasionaly hit some switchbacks with 1-2 ft drops.

Thanks again.

Seeeriously easy Livin
    The slx crankset looks extremly nice and chain reaction cycles has them for 120 bucks, or the xts for 150, I think shimano claims the slx is like 50% stiffer than xt, but I forget which are lighter. I guess get whichever ones you like better

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Another option is AC (Adventure Components) LoProXT. Lighter than Shimano, and forged. You can get them in an ISIS BB spindle type, and then get a KCNC Ti/Ceramic bottom bracket, and come out ahead in the bank, maybe with enough left over to get a light stem and post, or start on the wheelset. A good set of hubs can be really frustrating to look at in the box, but when a month passes, and you have the money for rims, it gets fun, then you get some spokes, and have your people lace them, you will ride for hours with a smile on your face. No matter what, Shimano is going to charge you for the cranks having "Shimano" printed on them, and in some cases, they are not as well made as the others. BTW, SLX is stamped, so are XTs. They are not shot-peened, do not get any more lathe-worked than necessary to get the chainrings to sit flat, and to have the BB spindle hammered in. AC LoProXT cranks are $90, and the BB is about $100, the whole setup is about 1/4lb. lighter than the Shimano XT, and is made of all around better stuff. Ceramic bearings, Titanium spindle, Alloy cups, Stainless races, forged arms, replaceable 7000 series spider in any size/ bolt config. you could ask for. Google "Adventure Components"... then eBay "KCNC Bottom Bracket"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Great info on the cranks Paul, thanks!

I appreciate all of the comments/suggestions.

Members who have read this thread: 0