total group weights- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

total group weights

i'm looking for some insight into the weights of xtr, xt, xx and xo. for simplicity this time i thought i'd just buy a complete group, and i've liked the performance of each group (on other bikes), but can't find any good info on weight differences in the 2011 components as whole groups. no need for TOO much detail... just a ballbark idea of how they stack up so i can determine how to spend my money on a group.

sorry if this is a repeat question... it REALLY seems like it should be, but i can't find it anywhere here.

mtbr member
    You will have to take the weights of each part and add them up. The reason there is no information on this as it depends on what clamps and configurations your frame needs.

All the information is readily available, but you will need to look up the individual parts.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1 View Post
    You will have to take the weights of each part and add them up. The reason there is no information on this as it depends on what clamps and configurations your frame needs.

All the information is readily available, but you will need to look up the individual parts.
    i realize this all depends on a bunch of variables, i was just hoping to find some apples-to-apples comparisons (maybe if someone had already considered comparing 2 of the above groups on another bike). i'm having trouble finding weights for many of the parts. weight weenies lists a very small percentage of the new parts (plenty of info on previous generations, but nowhere near comprehensive info on new parts), and shimano doesn;t even have claimed weights for most of the parts on their website. the mtbr forums have gotten me some info, but far from everything. i'd happily compile all the data if i could just find it.

mtbr member
    I was able to find information using internet searches. Sites like Bikeradar and Bikerumor will often times weigh new products as they come into the market. Searching for specific parts is often times better then just searching a specific groupo.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted if your able to compile anything.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i'll see what i can do, and i'll post my results if i'm able to come up with anything useful.

normally i'd choose my build part by part, but this is an extra bike, and i'd like it to be low-maintenance and unquirky, so i figured i'd go with a complete group. all my ww bikes are great, but finicky and/or high-maintenance. this one can't really turn out THAT light anyway, since the frame/fork ain't that light, so i figured i'd just aim for reliability, perhaps at the cost of some grams.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s4gobabygo View Post
    i'll see what i can do, and i'll post my results if i'm able to come up with anything useful.

normally i'd choose my build part by part, but this is an extra bike, and i'd like it to be low-maintenance and unquirky, so i figured i'd go with a complete group. all my ww bikes are great, but finicky and/or high-maintenance. this one can't really turn out THAT light anyway, since the frame/fork ain't that light, so i figured i'd just aim for reliability, perhaps at the cost of some grams.
    Reliability and bang for buck go to Shimano XT in my eyes That is what I used on my extra bike, hard to beat.
    CyclingCentralVa.org