Titanium Fasteners- Mtbr.com
    mechmann_mtb

Titanium Fasteners

I ran a search for Titanium fasteners and Titanium hardware and didn't turn up much as far as suppliers go. I know there are a lot of people purchasing/using Ti fasteners on here.

If anyone could please post who they buy from and some feedback on how satisfied they were with their products that would be really cool!

Thanks a million!

Ex-Gunslinger
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    I ran a search for Titanium fasteners and Titanium hardware and didn't turn up much as far as suppliers go. I know there are a lot of people purchasing/using Ti fasteners on here.

If anyone could please post who they buy from and some feedback on how satisfied they were with their products that would be really cool!

Thanks a million!

I dont know what they are like but this site has been posted here a few times

http://hyperbolts.chainreactionweb.com/catalog/

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

ಠ_ಠ
    I just bought some. took along time and research to figure out what bolts to buy... but once I did I used:

titaniumfasteners.com (aka redmist) for the specific bolts, but used hyperbolts.com to buy their 12 pc. ti disc rotor kit and the 4 pc. al water bolt kit. I wanted to use redmist for everything since they have the best prices and a great reputation on this forum, but they didn't have pictures of these and I didn't want to risk getting the wrong bolt. by the way, once you sign up at hyperbolts they send you a $5 coupon. use it on your first purchase. I didn't realize they had sent it to me and they would give me the $5 since I'd completed the transaction already.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    I just bought some. took along time and research to figure out what bolts to buy... but once I did I used:

titaniumfasteners.com (aka redmist) for the specific bolts, but used hyperbolts.com to buy their 12 pc. ti disc rotor kit and the 4 pc. al water bolt kit. I wanted to use redmist for everything since they have the best prices and a great reputation on this forum, but they didn't have pictures of these and I didn't want to risk getting the wrong bolt. by the way, once you sign up at hyperbolts they send you a $5 coupon. use it on your first purchase. I didn't realize they had sent it to me and they would give me the $5 since I'd completed the transaction already.
    How much weight can be saved by going to all Ti bolts on a mtb? Is Ti as strong as the existing bolts? Steel I presume?

ಠ_ಠ
    they say you can save as much as 200g, but it just depends how aggressive you want to be. You can, and in some cases should use aluminum bolts on things like the water bottle cage and front derailleur. You can use Al for shifters and brakes levers on your handlebars, but I just could not bring myself to use Al on my brake levers, I mean if that thing ever gave out how screwed would you be just to save like 5g .

No, Ti is not as strong as steel.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    No, Ti is not as strong as steel.
    Depends what you're comparing. Pure titanium is stronger than a lot of steels and weaker than others, Titanium alloys can be quite strong, and definitely better than the steels typically used for bicycle fasteners. US grade Ti 6/4, which is common for bicycle bolts are about equal to SAE grade 8 steel bolts (around 160,00psi tensile strength) and far stronger than the common grade 5 variety (120,000psi tensile) you see on a lot of bicycle parts.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread