Titanium Axle upgrade for XT R.hub- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Titanium Axle upgrade for XT R.hub

Hi there

I have the option to pay small money for a titanium upgrade axle for my XT rear hub. I can't find too much info on this and would like to know if anyone has any negative experience here, ie snapping. And also how much weight could be saved with this excersise.

Many thanks for your help

Davo

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Don't worry about any snapping. Many people use hubs with aluminum axles so Ti is plenty tough.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I realise that a lot of Ti axles are used. I guess it was just the concern over the external thread creating stress risers. However I am not too worried. I am definitely interested in how much weight can be saved. Has anyone tried this?

Dave

mtbr member

Weight savings

[QUOTE=Big Wave Dave]Thanks, I realise that a lot of Ti axles are used. I guess it was just the concern over the external thread creating stress risers. However I am not too worried. I am definitely interested in how much weight can be saved. Has anyone tried this?

I just weighed an XTR ti axle from a 950 series hub. It was 27 grams. I weighed a couple of steel axles I have and they were 47 and 49 grams. Not a ton of weight savings, but it is almost an ounce!

ballbuster

everything helps...

[QUOTE=schnapmaster]
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Wave Dave
    Thanks, I realise that a lot of Ti axles are used. I guess it was just the concern over the external thread creating stress risers. However I am not too worried. I am definitely interested in how much weight can be saved. Has anyone tried this?

I just weighed an XTR ti axle from a 950 series hub. It was 27 grams. I weighed a couple of steel axles I have and they were 47 and 49 grams. Not a ton of weight savings, but it is almost an ounce!
    XT hubs are heavy as heck. They are pretty bullet proof, tho... and cheap!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I always figured that XT hubs (2004 and 2005) had ti axle ?????????????

http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycl...=1139113704846

mtbr member

Won't match my hurdle rate.

Thanks so much for your replies dudes.

Being a sensible account racer type I can't make wild spends on weight weenie upgrades unless they meet my hurdle rate of over 4g saved per £. Meaning i'd need to get the axle for £5.50 to get the 22g saving at my rate. Somebody less thrifty will pay more for it (Ebay). I'll put the £ towards a new lite r.hub for when my xt packs up in 2020! ? !

It is surprising how usefull having such a hurdle rate is for those on a budget. I think I might make a geeky post on it.

Happy trails. Dave

mtbr member

XT axles are steel

[QUOTE=Megaclocker]I always figured that XT hubs (2004 and 2005) had ti axle ?????????????

Yeah, I saw that it says they have titanium axles on the website, but the axles are steel. At least they are on the XT centerlock hubset I just bought for my winter training wheelset. I have a couple of the XTR ti axles laying around so I'll replace the steel for a small weight savings.

Members who have read this thread: 0