Ti brake studs on a Ti frame?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

New question here. Ti brake studs on a Ti frame?

Is it ok to use Ti brake studs on a Ti frame? I don't want to use aluminum brake studs. Will Ti sieze up or has anyone had success with this?

Thanks very much,
    Trevor

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Ti Prep

Quote Originally Posted by tmaybee
    Is it ok to use Ti brake studs on a Ti frame? I don't want to use aluminum brake studs. Will Ti sieze up or has anyone had success with this?

Thanks very much,
    Trevor
    Yep, absolutely fine provided you use an anti-galling compound such as Finish Line Ti Prep. Ti to Ti will almost definitely seize if you don't apply anything... and you still run a risk with regular grease.

The surface of titanium (seen under a microscope) is very rough, so when two titanium components are tightened these tiny imperfections can cause them to lock together. Anti-galling compound resolves this issue.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by manitou916
    Yep, absolutely fine provided you use an anti-galling compound such as Finish Line Ti Prep. Ti to Ti will almost definitely seize if you don't apply anything... and you still run a risk with regular grease.

The surface of titanium (seen under a microscope) is very rough, so when two titanium components are tightened these tiny imperfections can cause them to lock together. Anti-galling compound resolves this issue.

cool. Thanks very much for the info.

Cheers,
    Trevor

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by manitou916

Does anyone know how the anti-galling compound works? Does it fill in the holes?

Chris

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ctxcrossx
    Does anyone know how the anti-galling compound works? Does it fill in the holes?
    Chris - that is absolutely correct. Anti-galling compound fills the microscopic flaws in metals with microscopic bearing particles which then act as a barrier between the two surfaces.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How to apply this compound?

How are you supposed to apply this compound? For example, do you put a small streak on like locktite, or do you carefully coat all threads? Also, do you coat both components (i.e. bolt and receiving threads)? Finally do you apply it liberally or do you clean out excess with a rag. So many questions, so little time.

PS - I suppose you can't use locktite with this compound, true?

Rob.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky
    How are you supposed to apply this compound? For example, do you put a small streak on like locktite, or do you carefully coat all threads? Also, do you coat both components (i.e. bolt and receiving threads)? Finally do you apply it liberally or do you clean out excess with a rag. So many questions, so little time.

PS - I suppose you can't use locktite with this compound, true?

Rob.
    Personal experience is that I prefer to be safe than sorry - apply a relatively liberal coating to all the threads and wipe off the excess.

Loctite - That's actually a good question because for i.e. BB cups you want them to stay tight but don't want them to seize. Have to be honest and say I've never felt the need to use loctite on a bike... but if the threads are covered with an anti-galling compound then the loctite won't have anything to hang on to. I would go with one of the other - depending on the application.

mtbr member

Where can you get Aluminium and Ti Brake post?

Can anyone tell me where you can get Ti brake posts? How about Aluminium? I've seen people write about getting AL post but don't know where they can be had or the reliability of AL in a brake post application. Any help would be appreciated.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CactusHead
    Can anyone tell me where you can get Ti brake posts?
    Hi CactusHead. I can get you Ti brake studs. Please contact me off-board at jimvaughn(AT)hotmail.com ....just replace the (AT) with at

The best way to find what size you need is to remove the stud from your frame and go to a hardware store and try to thread some nuts onto it. Most studs are M10, but there are several different thread pitches, M10 x 1 and M10 x 1.25 are most common.

You can get Al brake studs from extralite and I think DirtBoy sells them.

Cheers,
    Trevor