Ti bolt upgrades?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Ti bolt upgrades?

I'm thinking about upgrading to all ti bolts for my Avid Exilir CR. That would include rotor bolts, post mount bolts, caliper mount bolts and washers.

But my question is, are ti bolts strong enough to handle that much heat and stress?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    No worries... www.torontocycles.com for your bolt needs. Great selection, great service, cheap shipping.
    Rigid bikes FTW!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adept1
    No worries... www.torontocycles.com for your bolt needs. Great selection, great service, cheap shipping.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I was planning on doing the same with mine, but where did you find the bolt sizes at?
    I was wanting to use aluminum bolts for the bolts that mount it to the bar, are they strong enough?

Tech geek and racerboy
    Feb 2004
    Yes, aluminum will work really well there. Just do not over tighten.
    A hardtail is forever

mtbr member
    I've heard of people using alum stem bolts, it just sounds a bit scary to me on a mtb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtailforever
    Ok, Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamic213
    I've heard of people using alum stem bolts, it just sounds a bit scary to me on a mtb.
    No thanks, Sounds like such a bad idea.

mtbr member
    When changing out all the bolts mentioned, how much weight savings can be expected?

I'm in the process of completing a spreadsheet of cost vs. weight savings and can't seem to find how much weight I would be saving by this change.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Not much.

Weigh your steel bolts you want to replace and Ti bolts will be about 1/2 the weight, Al will be about 1/3.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Quote Originally Posted by DavidR1
    When changing out all the bolts mentioned, how much weight savings can be expected?

I'm in the process of completing a spreadsheet of cost vs. weight savings and can't seem to find how much weight I would be saving by this change.
    A while back I changed ALL the hardware on my Santa Cruz Superlight, except the saddle clamp bolt and the bolts holding the two halves of the brake calipers together. I even went to ti skewers.

Total cost was about $200, total weight savings was about 2 ounces. There are two downsides. Ti is somewhat soft, so Allen head screws can deform a little under correct torque. Insist on Torx heads. Just last week I had the brakes off, and one of the mounting screws, which is subjected to a sheer force, had a little bit of deformation on the shank.

So far, I've had to replace two of the Ti bolts for the above stated reasons.

In my opinion, going to Ti was one of my more frivolous expenditures, and I don't think I would do it again.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtailforever
    Using aluminum there is not a good idea, since you're putting sheering forces on the bolt and the torque required is usually fairly high. For the stem you really want to use Ti bolts. You're only losing a couple grams going from aluminum to ti.

There are good ways to save weight and stupid ways to save weight. Using aluminum bolts on a stem is a stupid way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't know how you could have only saved 2 ounces by changing all your bolts to Ti.

I think most people save 2 ounces just by getting Ti skewers alone. I'm not going to argue that it's cost effective, but I don't see how you could change your skewers and all your bolts (and you're on a full sus) and only see 2 ounces saved.

I would also like to see more torx head Ti bolts. Does anyone know anywhere that's selling them? I would love to have stem bolts in torx.
    Rigid bikes FTW!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Using aluminum there is not a good idea, since you're putting sheering forces on the bolt and the torque required is usually fairly high. For the stem you really want to use Ti bolts. You're only losing a couple grams going from aluminum to ti.

There are good ways to save weight and stupid ways to save weight. Using aluminum bolts on a stem is a stupid way.
    Who was talking about stem bolts?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Yup, I'm an idiot. What's really bad is I read it several times to make sure I was understanding it right. Obviously I still go it wrong.

Members who have read this thread: 0