Suggestions to lighten my bike?- Mtbr.com
    silly person
    Dec 2005

Suggestions to lighten my bike?

Here's my bike.

It's not a very light beasty coming in at a whopping 13.6kg. I'd love to shave that down to 12.5kg or so, however:

1) I don't want lightweight race tyres. I'm very happy with the current Vapors and don't want anything that wears fast or sacrifices grippiness.
    2) I'm not in any hurry to change the fork as I really like the MX comp. However if anyone knows how much it would cost to get Marzocchi to press in an alloy steer tube I'd love to hear.
    3) I'm not in a hurry to change the wheelset, other than the hubs, unless someone has a suggestion that isn't horribly pricey and doesn't sacrifice strength.
    4) Ye can take my freedom, but ye canna take my big arse ugly bar ends. I like them too much. :P

Raceline Expert 2002
    Fork: Marz MX Comp 2004
    Handlebar: Easton EA50 monkeybar
    Stem Easton EA50
    Headset: Cane Creek (of some sort )
    Brakes: Shimano 525 hydros
    Pedals: K2 Mag-C
    Cranks: Truvativ Firex (this is probably worth changing for something else)
    Cassette: Shimano
    Rear Der: Shimano XT 2002
    Front Der: Shimano LX 2002
    Shifters: Shimano LX 2002
    Seatpost: Promax 27.2 x 300 alloy (I'm probably going to change this for an Easton or Thomson
    Saddle: Specialized Telluride Comp
    Barends: Axion Norco ti (rebadged Avenirs I think)
    Rims: Mavic 221
    Spokes: Can't remember
    Hubs: Formula (On my list of things to look at)
    Tyres: Conti Vapors 2.1
    Computer: Cateye Tomo XC

That's right....
    how come your wheels/tires spec doesnt match the pic?

please lose the riser bar/bar ends combo..... it looks ridiculous

mtbr member
    I'm a little confused - can you double-check you pic and list?

Tires - pic show's Michelin's, but you state Conti Vapors
    Rims - pic show's 223 (?), but you state 221

What, i'm picky!

Aynways, i'd give you the same advice either way;

Wheels, well kinda. I'd say get yourself a set of XTR 960 CL hubs. They're getting less expensive all the time (you can get a set for under $250 US now... if that's in-expensive to you or not is another story). Naturally, re-lace with lighter spoke's, maybe DT Revolutions or Sapim, etc.

Do you have a budget/weight or can I recommend an Extralite crankset? (hint hint)

Pedals - Eggbeater's. Even the Chrome pedals weigh less than 300 grams and can be had for *cheapcheap*.

Can Marzocchi really re-press a new steerer tube? Sounds expensive!
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

silly person
    Dec 2005
    Oops, my bad.

Rims are 223's
    Tyres are Conti Vapors. I replaced the Michelins a few days ago as they were trashed.

I've been looking at eggbeaters. They look very tempting.
    I'll have a look at the XTR hubs and the Extralite crankset, though I expect that the crankset is getting out of my budget. Possibly an XT instead?

I've heard Marz do repress steerer tubes. I'd love more info on it though. Probably not worth it though.

please lose the riser bar/bar ends combo..... it looks ridiculous
    Not gonna happen :P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin.mac.au
    Oops, my bad.

Rims are 223's
    Tyres are Conti Vapors. I replaced the Michelins a few days ago as they were trashed.

I've been looking at eggbeaters. They look very tempting.
    I'll have a look at the XTR hubs and the Extralite crankset, though I expect that the crankset is getting out of my budget. Possibly an XT instead?

I've heard Marz do repress steerer tubes. I'd love more info on it though. Probably not worth it though.
    Tires - not sure if your Vapor's are the Pro version, but they are lighter then the "regular" version. You can always upgrade when your current tires need replacing and not sacrifice any of the traction you have now. I'm doing this right now with my Explorer's.

The Extralite crankset reference was merely a hint at seeing what your budget is. There's nothing wrong with going with the XT crankset. Not too sure how much weight you'll save here - find out what you have now for a BB and chainrings and you'll see how much weight you'll save.

XTR hubs - again, Shimano's lightest MTN hubset, not terribly expensive and easily rebuildable for years of use. Not to say there aren't other alternatives, but they'll undoubtedly be more expensive. You get a good compromise with these.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

Members who have read this thread: 0