Sub 1300 gram 29" i29 wheelset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sub 1300 gram 29" i29 wheelset

I'm looking hard at the Bontrager Kovee XXX Boost TLR 29 MTB Wheelset.
    Comes in at 1290 grams and i29mm. Very good warranty and no rider weight limit!

The only (slight) downside is 54 tooth engagement - coming off a Torch hub that I currently ride.

I'm 160 pounds on a Giant Trance 29 Pro, ride "light" in Utah (90% Wasatch Back, 10% Moab) on 2.35 to 2.6 tires.

I'd like more engagement and would like to stay i29 or greater and sub 1400 grams. Any ideas?

Bikes in jeans
    Have you tested one out? That's pretty ridiculous weight for a 29in wheelset with that width and no weight limit. 240's are my go to hubs almost universally, I can't imagine this being anything but a top performing wheel.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Have you tested one out? That's pretty ridiculous weight for a 29in wheelset with that width and no weight limit. 240's are my go to hubs almost universally, I can't imagine this being anything but a top performing wheel.
    I have a 27.5 rear wheel with the 54 tooth 350 hub. I will throw that on my 27.5 just to review, but I'm thinking I'll pull the trigger. Thanks for helping to push me off the ledge!

Various reviews have it coming in on weight and being nicely compliant as well.

This place needs an enema
    I built a set of wheels for a customer recently that caused me to double take, and then triple take when he asked what the weight was.

240s 6b Boost hubs, XD, 32h.

Derby i35 AM 29" rims.

Berd spokes, DT Squorx nips.

1220g.

The Berd's knock ~110g off *per wheel* compared to a light/sweet spoke like a SuperComp, and that's the biggest difference.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I built a set of wheels for a customer recently that caused me to double take, and then triple take when he asked what the weight was.

240s 6b Boost hubs, XD, 32h.

Derby i35 AM 29" rims.

Berd spokes, DT Squorx nips.

1220g.

The Berd's knock ~110g off *per wheel* compared to a light/sweet spoke like a SuperComp, and that's the biggest difference.
    I guess if you use spokes that float in water, it saves a bunch of weight. What do you think of the spokes? Have you ridden them?

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I guess if you use spokes that float in water, it saves a bunch of weight. What do you think of the spokes? Have you ridden them?

Yep, I've ridden them a bunch over the last ~2.5 years. I like 'em a lot because they give a wheelset a damp/quiet/muted feel. Not unlike dropping a few psi from the sweet spot your tires like to be run at, but without the attendant increase in rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Yep, I've ridden them a bunch over the last ~2.5 years. I like 'em a lot because they give a wheelset a damp/quiet/muted feel. Not unlike dropping a few psi from the sweet spot your tires like to be run at, but without the attendant increase in rolling resistance.
    Sounds like my cup of tea!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    How much would a wheel set like that cost mikesee? Big bucks Iím assuming?
    ShortTravelMagazine.com - For the XC Mtb Enthusiast.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShortTravelMag View Post
    Berd has stock wheels they sell. I'm very surprised at the 1220g weight. Unless i'm missing something (which is entirely possible!) the 2 Derby rims alone total out at 1030g and the 2 DT 240s hubs have to be over 200g. Plus 64 Berd spokes at 2g each or so.

OTOH, the Berd wheel with Hydras is 1340g....so that would make the 1220g build seem very reasonable with 240s.

Quote Originally Posted by ShortTravelMag View Post

Yep -- nothing inexpensive or affordable about a wheelset spec'ed like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Berd has stock wheels they sell. I'm very surprised at the 1220g weight. Unless i'm missing something (which is entirely possible!) the 2 Derby rims alone total out at 1030g and the 2 DT 240s hubs have to be over 200g. Plus 64 Berd spokes at 2g each or so.

OTOH, the Berd wheel with Hydras is 1340g....so that would make the 1220g build seem very reasonable with 240s.

Could be that I was mixing up builds in my head. It's been busy lately -- entirely possible.

I'm sure of the 1220g weight (hard to forget that #), but I might have quoted the specs wrong here.

When I find a minute I'll re-run that calc and post the results.

Rider
    Sub 1300g isn't much of a challenge - DT 180 hubs, Newmen SLXA 30mm rims (357g), Berd spokes - 1150g.

I built my ww wheelset with the RS1 hub and before Berd came out, it's 1330g with Carbonfan T800 rims.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My 29er wheels with P321 hubs, DH heavy layup rear rim, 29mm ID rear & 34mm ID front wheel set came in at 1370g.
    I'm building my wife a set of 27.5" wheels now that should come in around 1,030 grams with Extralight hubs and Berds. And that's even with Carbon Fan acknowledging that the front 31mm ID rim layed up is a bit heavy at 352g. I didn't do these for the weight so much, I just appreciate the Berd feel so I figured my wife being much lighter would appreciate it as well. I've really came to notice lately how much stiffer 27.5" wheels are than 29s, just naturally.
    I try to spec the wheels appropriately for the usage and rider, with significant room for margin.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Maromero
    Quote Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
    I'm building my wife a set of 27.5" wheels now that should come in around 1,030 grams with Extralight hubs and Berds. And that's even with Carbon Fan acknowledging that the front 31mm ID rim layed up is a bit heavy at 352g. I didn't do these for the weight so much, I just appreciate the Berd feel so I figured my wife being much lighter would appreciate it as well. I've really came to notice lately how much stiffer 27.5" wheels are than 29s, just naturally.
    In another thread someone said that he wouldn't use Extralite hubs with Berd spokes cause you can't change the front hub bearings with the spokes installed, I wonder if that is true.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    In another thread someone said that he wouldn't use Extralite hubs with Berd spokes cause you can't change the front hub bearings with the spokes installed, I wonder if that is true.
    It is.
    I've never worn out front bearings, and my wife rides a fraction of what I do. As long she doesn't ride thru streams it's a lifetime part imo.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Could be that I was mixing up builds in my head. It's been busy lately -- entirely possible.

I'm sure of the 1220g weight (hard to forget that #), but I might have quoted the specs wrong here.

When I find a minute I'll re-run that calc and post the results.
    No big deal. I'm getting great ideas from this discussion. I have a 27.5 wheel with 54 tooth DT Swiss, that I rode again and I think I'm leaning toward something like a Hydra, as I think I want tighter engagement. That'll add weight, but I don't think that will be a deal breaker.

Thanks to everyone on the Berd spoke feedback - very helpful!
    Last edited by MSU Alum; 2 Days Ago at 06:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Just got a set of BTLOS wheels: DT180 Exp hubs, CX-ray spokes, alum nipples, 29" WM-22i extralight rims (22mm internal, 28H, 29mm external, asym.): 1170g. Berds would have knocked 100g off that, probably.

I have a set of BTLOS rims and DT180s (27.5", 25mm internal, extalight, non-asym) that I will send to Berd soon, should come out in the 1050g range.

Have some fatbike wheels with Berds, I like the way they ride, and they have been rugged so far, with all-season usage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Is the trek web page MSRP real? $2398 for the set? I know they have "the" warranty but wow.
    Sometimes Rickety, not a turd

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by Turd View Post
    Is the trek web page MSRP real? $2398 for the set? I know they have "the" warranty but wow.
    I don't understand who is buying those wheels, honestly.

You can build a better set for a lot less.

Berd + new 240s + Ibis S28s = 1300g.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Went for another ride on my "other bike" with 54 tooth DT.
    Decided I need the engagement of Hydra after all. Just pulled the trigger on a Berd T27 Wheel with the Hydra.