Stmpjumper 120 Expert weight savings advice...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Stmpjumper 120 Expert weight savings advice...

Hello, I am a relatively new XC rider and am wondering what would be some good ways to shave some weight and uprgrade my bike... I have been looking at starting with upgrading the crankset to XTR 952's or 960... any ideas or advice on whether this is a good idea would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

oh yeah... its completely stock--2005 stumpjumper FSR Expert 120

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...keTab=techspec

Get your freak on!
    Dec 2003
    This has been asked before.. but here we go again

Looking at the bike, it is a solid build, with lots of places to save weight. I would first reccomend to save weight where it is most cost effective. Then to save weight on places that will eventually wear out.

Firstly, your contact points on the bike, which are seat, grips and pedals are all heavy. Look at getting some egg beater pedals, some foam grips (i find them more comfy then rubber grips) and a seat under 200grams that is comfortable (very personal, but i like a Selle Italia SLR).

Then, i will reccomend you start with rotating weight, which is mainly in the wheels, look at getting some lighter weight kevlar beaded tires, fast rolling can be even more important then weight at making a bike feel fast. Wheels would be an expensive upgrade but well worth it. The New Hope Pro2 hubs are looking very nice, the front one is a bit heavy, so maybe consider getting something like a AM classic front hub, and getting the Hope Pro2 for the rear. Build these up with a nice light but solid rim (I like the DT d4.1), supercomp spokes or similiar and Alloy nips. This may all depend on your weight though.

Theres still lots of places to save weight, but i would say just ride it as is, and replace stuff when it wears out, this includes the crankset/BB and also the cassette (which is VERY heavy!).

New stem, handlebars, seatpost could also save a ton of weight, but probably not as cost effective or noticable as other upgrades, IMO.

I'd aim for a weight of around 28lbs, that would be a good weight for that bike.

For good deals on stuff, i reccomend Chad at redbarnbicycles.com, give him a call Or Larry at mtnhighcyclery.com (give him a call aswell). Both are awesome guys with awesome prices.

And maybe buy yourself a cheap gram scale, so you know how much weight you are saving off the bike..

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I got one....

It weighs in stock at just a hair under 28 lbs in large.

As stated above, there's lots of places...it all depends on your cash flow.

What I did:
    Seat and seat post ....very heavy(seat was way over 300 grams), went with a SLR and Extralite post and binder( the biggest 1 shot weight saver)
    Wheels: check out oddsandendos,com...another big weight savings(2nd biggest saver...by a few grams)
    Cassette: heavy..go XT or XTR
    Bar/Stem....not too bad, but I shaved some weight with Easton Monkey sl and Syntace stem
    Tires...Adrenalines are a little heavy,but work well. I kept them and put some light tubes in.
    Crank/BB: the crank is XT, but the BB is a ES30 porker...I'm on the fence between XTR, RF Deuze or E-bones.

It's under 26lbs with stock crank/bb and some eggbeaters on it,now.( On a non certed scale...got to get it on a good scale)
    Without a fork or brake change, there's not much more to shave.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I just started shaving some weight from the very same bike (Euro specs) and I weighted a few parts before replacement.

Stock sadde + seatpost : 560 g
    Flite titanium + Extralite Seatpost : 460 g

Stock Rear Wheel w/rim flap : 1128 g
    Dt Swiss 240/Butted spokes/X317 rim : 946 g

Stock Front Wheel w/rim flap : 892 g
    Dt Swiss 240/Butted spokes/X317 rim : 816 g

Stock QR : 125 g
    Generic Titanium QR : 88 g

QR Seat clamp : 45
    Replaced QR with Bolt : 22 g

Adrenaline Pro tire : 596 g
    Explorer Supersonic : 455 g

Stock Deore Cassette : 355 g
    XT Cassette : 285 g

Stock Pedals : 380 g (not weighted yet, claimed weight )
    Eggbeater S : 295g

Parts not yet replaced :

Stock Bar (240 g) vs. Monkeylite or Protaper Carbon: 80 gr saving
    Stock Stem (195 g) vs. FSA XC-115 : 80 gr saving
    Stock Grips (90 g) vs. Foam : 50 g saving

My target weight is around 25-26 lbs , and I think is pretty reachable.
    I had a few parts lying around so I didn't spent much on upgrades (yet...)

The stock bike weighted 12.7kg, size M
    regs
    fab

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    [QUOTE=the mayor]It weighs in stock at just a hair under 28 lbs in large.

Crank/BB: the crank is XT, but the BB is a ES30 porker...I'm on the fence between XTR, RF Deuze or E-bones.

The XT integrated crankset is not too heavy, and as far as I know the BB is part of the crankset - what is an ES30?
    thanks
    fab

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Bonking ... not feelin' well

[QUOTE=Ausable]
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor
    It weighs in stock at just a hair under 28 lbs in large.

The XT integrated crankset is not too heavy, and as far as I know the BB is part of the crankset - what is an ES30?
    thanks
    fab
    I'm taking it that he has an 05 FSR120 Expert ( the 06 is just called FSR Expert).
    It came with XT non integrated cranks with a Deore b/b.
    Also, your seat and post weight is off from what I remember. It was around 350 for the seat ( hollow steel railed) and almost 300 for the post...but maybe the Euro bikes are different. I just remember when I took the seat and post out of the box and thinking to myself," I have lighter hammers"! I also remember picking up the SLR/EXtralite como and thinking <"is this going to hold my fat butt?"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor
    I'm taking it that he has an 05 FSR120 Expert ( the 06 is just called FSR Expert).
    It came with XT non integrated cranks with a Deore b/b.
    Also, your seat and post weight is off from what I remember. It was around 350 for the seat ( hollow steel railed) and almost 300 for the post...but maybe the Euro bikes are different. I just remember when I took the seat and post out of the box and thinking to myself," I have lighter hammers"! I also remember picking up the SLR/EXtralite como and thinking <"is this going to hold my fat butt?"
    Hi major, alright then , the low end Shimano BB were really porky!
    The stock seatpost is not too bad (my previous specialized had a low end ritchey that weighed a ton). According to the bike shop the post is not much heavier than a Thompson. The saddle could weight more... I woud guess seatpost 250 g and saddle 300. I will check with a scale and post a follow up.
    regs,
    fab

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just finished building my new Stumpy, size M.
    Stock weight 12.6 kg (28 lbs), current weight 11.4 kg (25.3 lbs). Could easily lose 1lb with some extra cash and some durability compromise, but the weight is pretty low for a 5’’ travel trailbike and still raceable (marathon) without any stupid-light parts.
    The specs are below, in case someone might be interested-
    Cheers,
    Fab

FRAME Stupjumper FSR XC , size M
    FORK Fox Talas RL
    HEADSET 1 1/8" threadless (stock)
    STEM FSA XC-115 , 105x8 (125g)
    HANDLEBARS Easton keylite SL (125g)
    GRIPS Ati Slimwall Tomac (40g)
    FRONT BRAKE Avid Juicy 7 (stock)
    REAR BRAKE Avid Juicy 7(stock)
    BRAKE LEVERS Avid Juicy 7 (stock, plan to switch to Alu clamp bolts)
    FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano M-580 LX (stock)
    REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano M-952 XTR (stock)
    SHIFT LEVERS Shimano M570 LX (stock - except Alu clamp bolts)
    CASSETTE Shimano XT, 11-34t (plan to switch to Alu Lockring)
    CHAIN SRAM PC-971, 9-speed (stock)
    CRANKSET Shimano M-760 XT Hollowtech II (stock)
    CHAINRINGS 22A/32A/44A (stock)
    BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano M-760 XT, Integrated with crank (stock)
    PEDALS Crank Bros Eggbeater
    RIMS Mavic XM317 disc
    FRONT HUB DT Hugi 240
    REAR HUB DT Hugi 240
    SPOKES DT Swiss 2.0/1.8mm, black, brass nipples
    FRONT TIRE Conti Explorer Supersonic (450g)
    REAR TIRE Conti Explorer Supersonic (450g)
    TUBES Schwalbe XXLight (105g)
    SADDLE Selle Italia SLR XC (185g)
    SEAT POST Extalite The Post (190g)
    SEAT BINDER Stock clamp - Quick release replaced w/Ti bolt and Nut (25g)

ballbuster

I'd avoid XTR cranks

Quote Originally Posted by falcon2000aj
    Hello, I am a relatively new XC rider and am wondering what would be some good ways to shave some weight and uprgrade my bike... I have been looking at starting with upgrading the crankset to XTR 952's or 960... any ideas or advice on whether this is a good idea would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

oh yeah... its completely stock--2005 stumpjumper FSR Expert 120

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkM...keTab=techspec
    for the simple fact that the chainrings are proprietary. They use a 102mm middle ring. Unless you wanna spend some monster dough on Boone Ti rings, you'll be at Shimano's doorstep for replacements.... and it's been my experience that Shimano rings are pricy and wear out fast.

The XTs use a normal 104mm bcd, and lots of folks make rings that fit.

I ride a Swarf
    You should be able to drop weight easlily.

My custom spec 05 s-works is about 26.2lb with heavy wheels

FRAME Stupjumper FSR 120 S-Works 05 , size M 2500g
    FORK Pace RC41 XCAM 1600g
    HEADSET 1 1/8" CK
    STEM Ritch WCS 100mm 117g
    HANDLEBARS Easton keylite SL Risers 130g
    GRIPS Odi Lockons
    FRONT BRAKE Hope m4 mono 200mm
    REAR BRAKE hope m4 mono 160mm
    FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano XT
    REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano XTR
    SHIFT LEVERS Shimano XT
    CASSETTE Shimano XT, 11-34t
    CHAIN SRAM PC-990
    CRANKSET Shimano XT Hollowtech I
    CHAINRINGS Middleburn 22/32/44
    BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano XT octolink
    PEDALS Crank Bros Eggbeater SL
    Wheels Rolf Dolomite disc (about 1800g).....new front on the way
    Tyres 2.1 Panaracer Trail Raker 515g
    TUBES Stans Tubeless with rim strips....new front will be stripless with stans rim
    SADDLE Selle Italia Flight Ti
    SEAT POST Thomson Bendy
    Seat Binder Hope bolt
    QRs Hope quick releases.

With a lighter post, tyres, cassette and pedals, wheel that I am building and a new rear along a similar spec I would be in the low 24lb region. I think the main difference in weight from tghe s-works and non is due to the extra weight of paint over anodising. The main reasoning I bought S-Works as I wanted frame only.

What I did was geeky (I am sure its the norm for a full time weight weenie hehe) was to strip the bike down and weigh all the bits. I then did a spreadsheet of where i could sace weight and put a cost to saving ratio on it. I wanted to lose weight so I knew I had to spend money if that was to happen...at least this way you can make a decision based on value also.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart B
    You should be able to drop weight easlily.

My custom spec 05 s-works is about 26.2lb with heavy wheels

FRAME Stupjumper FSR 120 S-Works 05 , size M 2500g

Stu
    The frame weight is surprising, it comes really close to many boutique brands (Ellsworth and Titus for instance ) with much more stiffness and reliability.
    Is your frame anodized? the powdercoat of the Expert seems really thick! :-)
    Last edited by Ausable; 01-31-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0