mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Steve Potts/Castellano Silk Ti LT

22 pounds 10 oz (10.2 kg)
    Still working on parts selection for stem, hate the seat!

●●●●●●●●◌◌
    Wow, what a unique frame! I've got a lot of questions now.

-How are you liking the BFO brakes? Lot of discussion around them initially, but hadn't seen any actually in use.
    -What is the rear shock? Just a coil? I'm trying to figure out how you'd swap it out as there doesn't seem to be any other linkage. I'm assuming you'd have to compress it enough to pop out?

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Do you have any clearer pics? I love JC's designs and Pott's welds are always impeccable.
    45=25

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Sorry just click through for clearer pictures, these appear to be thumbnails that got stretched out for some reason

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I love the BFO brakes, the levers are really nice, and what I like best is that they bite and feel solid immediately like a rim brake would, no dead lever travel, but there is still a lot of modulation. I think the best compliment for the brakes is that I just stopped thinking about my brakes. Take this review with a grain of salt as I have not tried many disc brakes other than mechanical and hybrids on gravel bikes. Not sure about brake fading, haven't stressed things out to that degree yet.

The rear shock is an elastomer tuned for my weight, with the flat chainstays acting as a leaf spring. The regular silk ti is 1.75" of travel, this is 3.3" which is wild given that it is pivotless. Not the most advanced design but it feels so smooth and solid. I haven't tried to service the shock or take it apart to see how it works yet.

Life's a Garden, dig it!
    Quote Originally Posted by ecl2k View Post
    Sorry just click through for clearer pictures, these appear to be thumbnails that got stretched out for some reason
    Thanks! I missed that the pics are clickable. Very nice ride!

How long ago did you buy the frame? The last time I talked to John, he said that Steve had moved out of the area and he wasn't sure they were going to be able to produce frames any more.

I would love to have this as an SS!
    45=25

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I think the frame build started out in 2014 sometime, shown at 2017 nahbs, bought it a few months ago. Not a 2019 bike that's for sure, but I am loving it so far. Was going to spring for a ti Potts seatpost/stem but that stuff is as nice as it is expensive and heavy, so my plan is Darimo setback post, Berk lupina padded saddle, Intend Grace XC stem and that will be as close to 22 as I can get. Might also get a Phil Wood tapered headset or extralite headset, the King is having trouble staying tight.

This place needs an enema
    Would love it if you could talk more about the rear shock -- compare it to something modern or more "normal"?

Also curious about the strut that connects TT and DT?

This place needs an enema
    FYI, Potts is no longer making this frame. I'm in the market for a short-travel bike and had been leaning toward a Funk La Ruta. I emailed Potts yesterday (after seeing this thread) and Steve said "that frame is not currently being offered". No other explanation.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    FYI, Potts is no longer making this frame. I'm in the market for a short-travel bike and had been leaning toward a Funk La Ruta. I emailed Potts yesterday (after seeing this thread) and Steve said "that frame is not currently being offered". No other explanation.
    I'd love to see a proper review of the La Ruta. I've been looking at one to use as a singlespeed race bike on the rougher courses.