Stans NoTubes vs Eclipse- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Stans NoTubes vs Eclipse

Purely hypotheticly.

Which of the 2 tubeless conversion kits are the best??? I'm thinking about weight, expensiveness and when one have to put a tube in it...

Let's say it's on a Mavic 717xc rim...

mtbr member

I've got that same setup...

XC717 disc rims with Eclipse. I've been running this setup for a year-and-a-half and couldn't be happier...zero flats. My tire of choice (for the most part) is the Python Airlight. I get minimal leakdown over time. For example, after a week or two, I may need to add a pound or two of air to bring them back up to spec. I liked the fact that the Eclipse strips are "rim-specific" and seat really well. Caveat: I use Stan's sealant. I already had a jug of it that I was using with my old Crossmax UST's so I continue to use it. I haven't even opened the Eclipse sealant. I recommend highly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Ehh, both?

I'd echo the sentiments above. On both Mavic 517's and 717's I've used both systems and concluded that the Eclipse rimstrips and valves with Stan's sealant is the best combination.

Also, I've got to imagine (although I haven't actually weighed them) that the Eclipse set up is lighter than the Stans. Also, because the Eclipse valve is a separate piece, if you ever have to use a tube, you just take out the valve and put a tube over the top of the rim strip.

My biggest gripe with Stans was that the rim strip and valve were one piece. I've had at least three of Stans rim strips fail when the valve stem started to tear loose from the rimstrip causing a leak that wouldn't seal. Plus, with Stans, if you do need to add a tube you have to remove the entire rimstrip/valve combo. Not necessarily difficult, but is a bit messy to have to carry out from the trail with you.
    Last edited by baumer; 09-12-2005 at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

neither

Quote Originally Posted by Terkel
    Purely hypotheticly.

Which of the 2 tubeless conversion kits are the best??? I'm thinking about weight, expensiveness and when one have to put a tube in it...

I prefer Bontrager Mustang tubeless strips ($6/pr). Bontrager valves are only $6/pr but are designed for 19mm rims, in 517 and 717 you have to use narrower Mavic valves. Removeable core Stan's Mavic valves are a good option too but can be pita because the core sometimes comes out with the valve cap. Then homebrew mold maker latex with/without additives of your choice (Windex and/or tubeless Slime).

I think the Bontrager strips are much more durable than the Stan or Eclipse ones, cheaper, and you can use 3 different and easy to obtain valves for them.

Just passing through....
    Quote Originally Posted by baumer
    I'd echo the sentiments above. On both Mavic 517's and 717's I've used both systems and concluded that the Eclipse rimstrips and valves with Stan's sealant isthe best combination.
    I tend to agree with this assessment. I use the Eclipse strips, but I use homemade sealant for economy reasons. The only problem that I have with the Eclipse strips is the double sided tape. I followed the directions to a tee, and my first tire sealed perfectly. I did the same with the second tire but had sealant leaking from the spoke holes. Since there is not enough tape in the kit to do another tire, I used packing tape/electrical tape under it which worked fine, no flats in over a year. It'd be nice if they gave you a tad bit extra tape in case of a problem. The strips themselves are very well made, light and secure.

Ratt: Out of curiosity, do you know how much the Bontrager strips weigh, (Edit: I checked at the Bontrager website and it said 35 gs w/o the valve) and where you buy them? I am thinking about picking up a set of the Maxxis strips just to experiment with them on my back up bike, but I notice that the strips alone (without sealant) weigh more than a Maxxis Flyweight tube.

BTW: I've used Bontrager tubes to made my own stems before. Because they have a removeable core, I just cut the stem out, use one 6mm nut on the inside of the rim and one on the outside. Bontrager tubes are only $2 at JensonUSA.
    Last edited by DaFireMedic; 09-12-2005 at 02:19 PM.
    If you want to play with electricity, more power to ya......

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Neither! - Just tape the holes as is

Buy Stan's yellow tape and valve stems or source yourself some 1/2" wide kapton tape, follow Stan's taping instructions and mount your tire. If the Eclipse kit works on a 717 rim then so will taping. The Eclipse kit is just fancy, heavy expensive rim tape. It does nothing to seal the interface of the tire bead and the rim. You may nead a compressor to mount tires, but that is also true of Stan's rims and kits and the Eclipse kit.

Quote Originally Posted by Terkel
    Purely hypotheticly.

M

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    Buy Stan's yellow tape and valve stems or source yourself some 1/2" wide kapton tape, follow Stan's taping instructions and mount your tire. If the Eclipse kit works on a 717 rim then so will taping. The Eclipse kit is just fancy, heavy expensive rim tape. It does nothing to seal the interface of the tire bead and the rim. You may nead a compressor to mount tires, but that is also true of Stan's rims and kits and the Eclipse kit.
    sorry - but the Eclipse rimstrip is THE most sophisticated rimstrip out there. one look at it tells you it's more than just "fancy".

he asked for advantages in case you need to mount an inner tube:
    well - that's THE advantage Eclipse has over Stans as with Eclipse all you have to do is remove the valve whgich is seperate, not vulcanized into the rimstrip. you remove the valve and put in a tube, ready. with Stans strips you have to remove the whole tubelesskit and hopefully have another,regular rimstrip underneath to be able to mount a tube...so not only are his strips heavier but you still need to put a regular rimstrip underneath which adds even more weight. Thomas Frischknecht asked for this feature as he wants to be able to do fast repair in a race. a mandatory feature for any racer.
    in case of the 717 rims there is no better than the Eclipse rimstrip as it is specifically made for these rims!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by DaFireMedic
    ...Bontrager strips ... where you buy them? ....
    Because they are a Trek item you can't mailorder them, you have to go to a Trek dealer. Surprisingly some dealers have them in stock but 2 things to watch out for. The 1st generation strips from about 3 years ago sucked and the asym ones probably won't work too well in a regular rim.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Stans Sealant with the Eclipse Kit

I use the Eclipse Rim Strips and Valves and then use Stans Sealant. The eclipse sealant is a little harder to get on hand and now some of the LBS in the US usually will now carry Stans.

I do agree with Nino. I used Stans for a little while and then got an eclipse kit from dirtboy. Needless to say the stans strips are still sitting on the shelf no longer being used.

The eclipse set seated much better and was easier to assemble.
    Last edited by tracker; 09-13-2005 at 04:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    who sells the eclipse? (in the US)

On your left.
    Jan 2004

tape is better than Eclipse

With tape (it must be high tensile stuff i.e. kapton) the valve is seperate so can be easily removed for installing a tube. Also tape takes up much less space, so you get more room for the tire bead when removing and installing. I've found on some tires (small bead diameters) it is nearly impossible to mount a tire with the Eclipse strip in there. This is not so bad whan I have the time in the garage, but on the trail during a race forget it. Also, when prying on the tire bead you will be much more likely to catch the Eclipse strip than low profile tape. Tape is better.

I agree that Eclipse is better than Stan's rimstrip. However, for some people running low pressures on regular rims the Stan's strip might be the best choice.

Quote Originally Posted by nino
    sorry - but the Eclipse rimstrip is THE most sophisticated rimstrip out there. one look at it tells you it's more than just "fancy".

he asked for advantages in case you need to mount an inner tube:
    well - that's THE advantage Eclipse has over Stans as with Eclipse all you have to do is remove the valve whgich is seperate, not vulcanized into the rimstrip. you remove the valve and put in a tube, ready. with Stans strips you have to remove the whole tubelesskit and hopefully have another,regular rimstrip underneath to be able to mount a tube...so not only are his strips heavier but you still need to put a regular rimstrip underneath which adds even more weight. Thomas Frischknecht asked for this feature as he wants to be able to do fast repair in a race. a mandatory feature for any racer.
    in case of the 717 rims there is no better than the Eclipse rimstrip as it is specifically made for these rims!
    M

mtbr member
    I came across these rubber rim strips on the Jenson website and added some on my last order. I figured I couldn't go wrong for 15 cents. I just use a layer of 3M packing tape to seal the spoke holes, a Mavic tubeless stem and homemade latex stuff and it has worked great so far. Easy to seal. The strip weighs about 30 grams by itself.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...im+Strips.aspx

Trail rider and racer
    I have said this many many times.

Eclipse is the best
    Stans Latex is the best

Eclispe latex is not that great.

My perfect system, Eclipse with Stans latex = PERFECTION!
    Trev!