sram xo or xtr shifting?.........- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

sram xo or xtr shifting?.........

ok guys i need your help i like the xtr trigger shifter but i'm quite interested in the 04 xtr new shift/brake sysytem.
    i might go xtr disc in the rear eventually but i'm not sure if the new xtr shift/brake system would be best or go xt disc lever and sram xo grip shifter combo,i dont know too much about sram xo but i like the idea that with grip shifting you can go up or down the gears range quick maybe even quicker than xtr?
    i'm assuming that the xo is the lightest sram system and i'm wondering if the xo/xt would be lighter than new xtr?
    has anybody had any problems with xo?

mtbr member

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by marco
    ok guys i need your help i like the xtr trigger shifter but i'm quite interested in the 04 xtr new shift/brake sysytem.
    i might go xtr disc in the rear eventually but i'm not sure if the new xtr shift/brake system would be best or go xt disc lever and sram xo grip shifter combo,i dont know too much about sram xo but i like the idea that with grip shifting you can go up or down the gears range quick maybe even quicker than xtr?
    i'm assuming that the xo is the lightest sram system and i'm wondering if the xo/xt would be lighter than new xtr?
    has anybody had any problems with xo?
    Three years ago I was running the XTR system, and had what I considered very good results. In the interest of saving a little weight, and buying a US made product, I decided to give the SRAM XO a try. I have used it for two race seasons now, and can tell you the stuff is built amazingly well. My opinion is that it shifts as well as XTR, but the real benefit other than weight savings is that I no longer ever have to make any adjustments. After the initial setup, I have not needed to touch it. I am building up another bike right now and it is certainly going to be equipped with the XO. Good Luck

mtbr member
    I'm just posting to see what other guys say.Most the stuff I've read say go with X0.I want to run a Dura-Ace 12-27 cassette.Will X0 work with this cassette gearing?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba
    I'm just posting to see what other guys say.Most the stuff I've read say go with X0.I want to run a Dura-Ace 12-27 cassette.Will X0 work with this cassette gearing?
    sure,all you have to do is to adjust the "b" tension on your derailleur.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

Trying to find Flow

What Other Bike?!

Quote Originally Posted by jwag
    Three years ago I was running the XTR system, and had what I considered very good results. In the interest of saving a little weight, and buying a US made product, I decided to give the SRAM XO a try. I have used it for two race seasons now, and can tell you the stuff is built amazingly well. My opinion is that it shifts as well as XTR, but the real benefit other than weight savings is that I no longer ever have to make any adjustments. After the initial setup, I have not needed to touch it. I am building up another bike right now and it is certainly going to be equipped with the XO. Good Luck

Uh oh, Jwag's building up a new secret weapon - Intense Spider perhaps? We can't be outdone by Darkhelmet and his new Spider. Dammit, does that mean I have to get a new bike new too? Oh, among all the high zoot parts I know you're going to throw on there, don't forget the trickest, coolest part you own - that vintage Avocet computer with the neon highlights that's about the size of a Palm Pilot. That thing's great; I bet it's a pain to always have to change the vacuum tubes though.

mtbr member
    Where in the US is SRAM made?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by divve
    Where in the US is SRAM made?
    in a state called TAIWAN.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

Trying to find Flow

It's called outsourcing

Quote Originally Posted by carlos
    in a state called TAIWAN.
    Production is much cheaper overseas so, in this global economy we live in, many companies ship production (and even services nowdays) overseas where labor is cheaper. I think he meant an American product designed and marketed by an American company. Levis are sewn in China (probably - haven't looked at Levis tag in a while, but I assume so); I don't think anyone identifies Levis as Chinese.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Patchito
    Production is much cheaper overseas so, in this global economy we live in, many companies ship production (and even services nowdays) overseas where labor is cheaper. I think he meant an American product designed and marketed by an American company. Levis are sewn in China (probably - haven't looked at Levis tag in a while, but I assume so); I don't think anyone identifies Levis as Chinese.
    and i dont see any problems with it too.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

mtbr member
    ....just picked up on the "US made" comment by jwag above. At lease verify it if you care enough for it to be a factor in your purchasing decision.

Trying to find Flow

Is that really necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by divve
    ....just picked up on the "US made" comment by jwag above. At lease verify it if you care enough for it to be a factor in your purchasing decision.

I'm talking about the underlying negativity of that comment. Does it matter to you what the factors were that went into his purchase? Besides, like I said, the company is based in the U.S. and the product designed and marketed here, they're just manufactured in Taiwan like everything else that demands cheap labor.

MaLóŒ¢*size=

Idea!

use an xtr rear deraulier with a sram rocket shifter:

the best rear deraulier and the lightest and the strongest,
    and the best shifter.

you dont need to have only shimano or only sram. Just choose the best of both. That what i have on my bike and works great

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Patchito
    Uh oh, Jwag's building up a new secret weapon - Intense Spider perhaps? We can't be outdone by Darkhelmet and his new Spider. Dammit, does that mean I have to get a new bike new too? Oh, among all the high zoot parts I know you're going to throw on there, don't forget the trickest, coolest part you own - that vintage Avocet computer with the neon highlights that's about the size of a Palm Pilot. That thing's great; I bet it's a pain to always have to change the vacuum tubes though.

Actually, I had difficulty finding those big lantern batteries with the screw off terminals to run it... It is now officially retired. Besides, that extra weight would really throw off the balance on the new ride. And just so that this thread does not stray too far, I was incorrect, though design and corporate headquarters are here, some of their manufacturing is done elsewhere. It is still a great product.

chips & bier

That was my phislosophy for a time, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MaLóL
    use an xtr rear deraulier with a sram rocket shifter:

the best rear deraulier and the lightest and the strongest,
    and the best shifter.

you dont need to have only shimano or only sram. Just choose the best of both...
    I recently rebuilt my Attack shifter to use a SRAM derialleur and I really think shifting is better. Yes, you've gotta twist your hand farther, but the ESP 1:1 ratio suffers much less from slightly off cable tension, or misalignment.

On a side note: the best Shimano derailleur I've found yet is the '03 Dura-Ace. Shifts amazingly precise, and on most bikes it will still take 32t cogs. Even a 34t on Cloxxki's Gary Fisher!