Spoke discussion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

New question here. Spoke discussion

Hey Guys,

I was hoping we could start a new discussion on spokes.

Currently on my 5010 build (650b), I run Stan's crest rims, with alloy nipples and DT revolution spokes. They are laced to an American classic front hub, with a i9 rear hub.

These wheels were an experiment for the strength and durability of both the crest rims and revolution spokes.

For the most part, they work(ish). I weigh maybe 160-165 pounds, and they have survived about 2 months of hard riding, which was my expectation. I could probably have nursed them for the rest of the year, but i think they are getting close to their last legs.

So for a replacement, I recently purchased a set of carbon rims from light bicycle. They are their new "enduro" wheel, with a 35mm outer width. Pretty nice. If everything stays the same, i will take about a 100 g weight gain in total to run these new rims... not ideal, but sometimes you need to put on the fat.

Now that you're caught up, i am wondering what is the premier weight weenie spoke?

Revolutions have worked... but they are living up their reputation as being finicky to build, and they have stretched over time, which meant a loss in tension.

I can rebuild using revolutions again, but i was hoping there would be a better option.

People mention sapim spokes... whats the word on these? Are they lighter/comparable to DT? Will they build a better wheel? I intend to reuse hubs, but if you think that there is a better wheelset to be built around these new rims, i'm interested to know.

Thanks for the help btw!

Maromero

mtbr member
    I have built one 29er wheelset with Crests and DT Comps and one rear wheel with a carbon rim and DT revolutions. I have previously built 8 other wheels with Comps and 3 other wheels with Revolutions.

In my opinion you'll be fine with Revolutions and a carbon rim, because the rim is so much stiffer than Crests.

As for building, virtually all spokes (especially light ones) twist when you rotate the nipple and tension is high, it's only a matter of how much you need to back up (unless you can prevent the twist, which is only easy with bladed spokes). I used pieces of tape as "flags" close to the threaded end of the nipple, which I attached after initial assembly before any real tension was applied. While it is an extra step when you're working, they make it really easy to follow the amount of twist and required back-up of the nipple.

With Comps I'd usually back out a quarter of a turn or less, Revos often required half a turn. Significantly more than this means the thread is not greased or there's interference, so the nipple should be removed and the cause addressed. This is all there is to the "finicky" build with Revos.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I highly doubt your spokes have stretched. There are only three possible causes for what you describe.

1 - You didn't stress relieve the wheel properly as you built it;
    2 - You wound the spokes up when you built the wheel (as Saul said); or
    3 - Your nipples are starting to pull through the rim.

Only the third cause will be addressed by going to a different rim.

Novice wheel builders will find the CX-rays easier to build with because being bladed you can tell at a glance if you have would the spoke up. They are no stronger or lighter than Revs but cost 3-4x as much. Use the "flags" as suggested by Saul, properly stress relieve the wheel as you build it and the Revs will be fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    fair enough!

From what i have gathered, the aerolites are actually the lightest spoke DT offers. The revolutions weigh about 10gs more, per bundle of 64. I realize that is a pittance, but this is the weight weenie forum

Interesting. I will be doubly careful building my next set, although i feel like i checked all the boxes. What weirded me out, was after they were built, and installed a month later... after just sitting around, the spoke tension had dropped roughly 5-10% around the entire wheel. I guess this could be the twisting relaxing back, but the loctite on the nipples hadn't been been worked loose. I re tensioned the wheel, and reapplied loctite, and sofar they have yet to drop again. I guess the twisting was strong enough to twist the spoke and nipple combo together?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Tension drop could have been caused by tyres with tight beads. I can't say I've experienced this on Crests, but the Podium MMX rims with Conti tyres do suffer a significant enough drop in spoke tension that I now set the final tension with a tyre seated when building these.