Spec Enduro, XC what ifs- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

New question here. Spec Enduro, XC what ifs

Hey, I really liked the construction of my '03 (same '02-'04) monocoque FSR frame, light enough for a beefy frame (hint: all-around use I believe it tips the scale at 6 lbs with shock, but can't verify that. Anyway, anyone out there with this frameset built to mainly XC or XC-race specs? How light can this be built, even with discs, 100-125mm fork, etc? 26 lbs possible? I'm very interested....then will start upgrading. Note, no stupid-light parts as this will continue to be used for all kinds of trails incl epic rides

mechmann_mtb
    i don't know about the old enduros, but my wife's Stumpy ('05 w/120mm travel) is just below 26lbs with 90-130mm talas fork, juicy 7's, Xmax wheelset, carbon bars, etc. the new enduros (i have an 05) can get down to 30lbs.

it seems that the old enduros were sort of replaced by the new stumpy design.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

05 130 Enduro...

weighs in at 29.5 lbs without going too light on the components. Stock it was 32+lbs. Think I could get 2 more pounds off prety easily.
    Last edited by DirtSS; 01-27-2006 at 11:24 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

My current setup and weight

So far it's down to 28 lbs but target is 26 lbs. Fox Talas 130, XT discs, hubs, Mavic X317 15g spokes, XT hollowtech, stock Fox ITch shock, Thomson post, WTB Race, S-works carbon bar, FSA stem, King headset, FireXC Pro 2.1. I'll need to keep my wheelset stiff enough so won't go much lighter there.

I really like the frame weight itself and quality of the monocoque construction.

Anymore tips?

mechmann_mtb
    thompson post is not super light... but it is a nice unit.

XT hubs are heavy when compared to DT, CK or others and they have a smaller flange diameter so the wheels are not as stiff/strong.

the WTB saddle might be a bit on the heavy side, what does it weigh? i would think you could probably drop a bit there.

the fire XC pros are good tires, no doubt. if it is a race bike that you are building there are better rolling tires that will sacrifice some traction and be much lighter (Kenda Kharmas are a good one) and you can get super light tubes depending on what terrain you ride (thorns, sharp rock gardens etc)

after those changes you will start getting expensive. the XT hydros aren't light that i know of. you didn't mention shifters or mechs. there may be some weight loss available there.

you can also start tuning stuff. Ti and Al hardware, grinding, shaving, milling. when you can no longer get lighter components it is time to be a real weight weenie and modify your current parts until they are scary LOL

mtbr member

Good job! 25 lbs definitely possible

Here's some dude's light '02 Enduro - 25.10 lbs
    http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ing.asp?id=519

Here's my old '02 Enduro - 25.19 lbs
    http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ing.asp?id=276

Here's my current '04 S-Works Enduro - 25.68 lbs
    http://www.light-bikes.com/bikegalle...ing.asp?id=642

As you can see, the S-Works frame weighs more than the base '02 model's. That's because of the additional Brain shock reservoir and beefier tubing (there were some durability issues with the 2002 models).

As you can see, my setups include some not-so-light parts too, like Ritchey's 390g pedals. So, getting a non-Brain bike under 25 lbs would be no problem with XTR cranks & cassette, Eggbeaters, etc.
    Last edited by Archangel; 01-30-2006 at 11:57 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0