Snagged the Forte Carbon Post....cosmetic issue- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Snagged the Forte Carbon Post....cosmetic issue

The local Performance just got some in. It was double points Tuesday lunch so I bought one.
    Carbon head! Light. Fits nicely. The only "issue" is cosmetic. There are two double medium-thickness lines which criss cross on the post. White. Looks good on the carbon but it reminds me of our local state police cars: black with white stripes. My Anthem X1 has a lot of black and white so the post looks like an extension of that. Not too bad but a bit matchy-matchy.

With my SLR saddle and small seatbag (not dorky looking, 35 cu in, fits one tube, multi tool and cell phone, that's it) the back of my legs hit the bag's front since the post is not laid-back like the oem; had no hitting issue with setback post.

But I did lose a lot of grams for the $70-ish.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Did you end up with the 30.9? What's the actual weight?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I did....and have returned it already before any weights noted. The cosmetic issue was just too much. From the front it also had red graphics. Vain, I know. Should have taken a black marker and blended it.

The 27.2 is so light! I thought about putting a 30.9 to 27.2 shim and saving more weight, but the whole graphic thing was too much.

Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    Did you end up with the 30.9? What's the actual weight?

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    so there was physically nothing wrong with it? you just didn't like the way it looked?..
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    And it was not a setback head which caused the small seatbag to hit the back of my hamstrings each pedal stroke. Guess I could carry stuff in a jersey (that I rarely wear) or put in my baggy mtb shorts (which I don't like the feeling of stuff on my legs while pedaling).

Quote Originally Posted by facelessfools View Post
    so there was physically nothing wrong with it? you just didn't like the way it looked?..

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Damn. I wish you weighed the 30.9. If its 180g or less its a great deal for $90. Thomson elite 30.9 is like 240 IIRC.

I may need a zero offset post for a build I'll be doing very soon. I'll post a weight if i get it. I can live with the white stripes and have been very happy with their bars.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah. From a pure WW angle it is a very good post especially for the price I had being a Team Performance member and having the lunch-time 10% off. In it $76 and I dropped about 150 grams!

From a WW perspective would you do the 154g 27.2 size with a seat-tube shim?

Cane Creek Seatpost 28.6-31.6mm Shim - Performance Sales Exclusions

Wonder what a shim weighs to reduce a 30.9 to a 27.2

Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Damn. I wish you weighed the 30.9. If its 180g or less its a great deal for $90. Thomson elite 30.9 is like 240 IIRC.

I may need a zero offset post for a build I'll be doing very soon. I'll post a weight if i get it. I can live with the white stripes and have been very happy with their bars.

ups and downs
    You can always sand off the logo paint under the clear coat and reapply the clear coat.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by danK View Post

Wonder what a shim weighs to reduce a 30.9 to a 27.2
    I bet its about the same as the difference between the posts or even more. Usually people are using the smaller diameter posts with shims because they want more flex for comfort, not necessarily to save weight. Or just because they have a post on hand and want a cheaper solution than buying another.

I've only used a shim setup once and had trouble with the post slipping. But this was back before "carbon assembly paste" was really known. If i could go back in time I bet the gritty goo could have stopped the problem.

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    Quote Originally Posted by danK View Post
    And it was not a setback head which caused the small seatbag to hit the back of my hamstrings each pedal stroke. Guess I could carry stuff in a jersey (that I rarely wear) or put in my baggy mtb shorts (which I don't like the feeling of stuff on my legs while pedaling).
    did you have your seat far back on the rails?
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It was set up where I usually have my bikes fitted. On my medium frame and 100mm stem I require a setback post. But today I was looking at it and if I didn't use that annoying little seatback it may work.....and I couldn't care less how "ugly" it was since it is so light and relatively inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by facelessfools View Post
    did you have your seat far back on the rails?