Skewers- Mtbr.com

Thread: Skewers

mtbr member

Skewers

I've asked this on some other forums but didn't get many replies. I am looking for a set of light skewers (by which I meand 100 g and lighter). I have a full suspension 33 pound bike and need strong skewers. I have read that some skewers are not designed for suspension bikes, is this true? For example - Salsa Ti skewers are "for road bike and rigid mtb only".

At this time I am looking at Salsa, Hope, Sette Ti or Suspension, Kore Elite and TUNE AC16+17.

Boj
    mtbr member
    Just get some steel bolt-on skewers. They're cheaper, lighter and stronger than flip-on ones.
    If in doubt - pedal harder!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruzovik
    I've asked this on some other forums but didn't get many replies. I am looking for a set of light skewers (by which I meand 100 g and lighter). I have a full suspension 33 pound bike and need strong skewers. I have read that some skewers are not designed for suspension bikes, is this true? For example - Salsa Ti skewers are "for road bike and rigid mtb only".

At this time I am looking at Salsa, Hope, Sette Ti or Suspension, Kore Elite and TUNE AC16+17.
    usually, ti skewers are not recomended to be used with suspension, but if you dont mind the flex (like most people here dont) you can use it.

IMO hope stainless steel skewers are the best.
    hey
    ho
    lets go!

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. This might be a stupid question, but how do bolt on skewers work? Do you use a tool to tighten them or just use your fingers, in which case wouldn't the axle be loose? Bolt ons are much lighter than regular skewers but I need to be able to take them off a lot to put my bike on a car roof rack. I'm glad I got a decent responce about the Ti skewers.

mtbr member
    Generally you tighten them up with a 5mm Allen/Hex key- the other end is similar to a QR in that you hold... It doesnt take much to get them tight, and most people carry some sort of multi tool with them when riding.

My bolt ons cost me $7AUD brought locally here in Australia, and weight 68g- Not super light, but steel skewers are stiffer; I cant stand flex!
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

mtbr member
    Seven dollars? That's alot cheaper than the around $20 I was looking at getting them on ebay :P.

Where did you buy them from?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Check out the SpeedCific skewers from oddsandendos. They've got both bolt-ons and QR's... Light and rate high on the quality scale! IMHO, the QR's are a best buy for the money... 76g for $29.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy
    Seven dollars? That's alot cheaper than the around $20 I was looking at getting them on ebay :P.

Where did you buy them from?

I got them from my LBS- last set hanging on the shelf... They are Trans-X bolt on skewers, they come withthe front, rear- and a seat clamp bolt on to. You should be able to find them somewhere.

I see you're in Melborune... How nice was the weather on the weekend?... Shame about today though
    -Cul
    Cul is a regretted trademark of the CulBaire Co'op Pty Ltd, as are his random ramblings and associated bullshit.

mechmann_mtb
    might seem a bit out there, but i bought a set of Crossmax XL wheels and the QR's that came with them were LIGHT. 57g for the rear one (long). i am not using the front (20mm) so i put it on the wife's bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Boj
    Just get some steel bolt-on skewers. They're cheaper, lighter and stronger than flip-on ones.
    Bolt-ons are too much of a hassle if you are a naturally lazy person. Pulling out a wrench is not economic when putting your bike on a roof rack or changing a flat. With skewers you incur a weight penalty but you don't have to worry about always having a 5mm wrench on your person at all times. So, buyer beware.

The Sette suspension skewers are pretty solid on a full suspension bike. I never noticed any flexiness with the rear titanium skewer. Mine weigh 100 grams with the rear actually lighter than the front. They are a bit overbuilt but they are durable because of it. You can really clamp them down without any worries.

Those Crossmax skewers are great too but they are highly expensive for a 110 gram set of skewers. They have a cam action that has a very high mechanical advantage for the amount of force applied, even better than Shimano. But they run 50 or 60 U.S. dollars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I can't say they are the lightest but I am really pleased with the stainless steel hope skewers I just got in the mail yesterday. Really nice and smooth action, great looking and available in cool colors. I like them a lot better than salsas. Hope is in many ways turning out to be the new ringle....

mtbr member
    generally all ti skewers are not recommended for suspension because the ti flexes more than stainless and they've been known to snap in extreme cases. that said most of the load is placed on the hub when the QR is tightened so the flex is fairly minimal and they should only snap in extreme cases...if you want to play it safe my salsa stainless weigh 107 and are the smoothest feeling QR's out there....plus you get a bunch of different colors to choose from : ) the ti ones are something like 20 g lighter.

mtbr member
    Thanks a lot everyone, this really helped. I think I will go with stainless just to be 100% sure they won't snap on me. So my two coices are Sette at 109g and Salsa at 107g. I would prefer Salsa in green or Rasta, but Sette is only $8 at Price Point!!!! Does anybody know where I can get Salsa for cheap? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruzovik
    Thanks a lot everyone, this really helped. I think I will go with stainless just to be 100% sure they won't snap on me. So my two coices are Sette at 109g and Salsa at 107g. I would prefer Salsa in green or Rasta, but Sette is only $8 at Price Point!!!! Does anybody know where I can get Salsa for cheap? Thanks in advance.
    I'm telling you the hopes are better and cheaper than the salsas...

Members who have read this thread: 0